35 coaches online • Server time: 12:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Read arguement first please before voting
I agree with you Elf Ball isnt fun
31%
 31%  [ 33 ]
I like AG vs AG games
35%
 35%  [ 37 ]
I couldnt care, either way is fine.
23%
 23%  [ 24 ]
Im Macavity and the Blue Bombers suck
9%
 9%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 104

keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Am I the only one that hates elf ball? I find it boring. Now dont get your panties in a bunch, this isnt about chaos teams asking for games against my elf teams. Its about Elf on Elf or AG vs AG teams. I find that most people who play alot of elves vs elves, have this stagedy: Foul the best players off the field faster than your opponent. I am not against fouling, I just find that when playing AG vs AG this is the tactic.

When I decided to use an elf team, it was because my bashy teams were not catching the ball enough. I alaways try to throw it with EVERY team I use. I love to throw. Not many better feelings in BB for me than completeing a pass. Killing a mummy maybe.

In AG vs AG games, I thought it was going to be more of who can score the most. Sort of CFL style. Most of you dont know what CFL is. Its the Canadian Football League. Its a little different than NFL. Its wide open fields and less downs pushes the games into passing games. Not alot of running compaired. There is alot of scoring. Go look it up on the net, I dont really want to get into the rule differences. Its been done here before. Actually look it up in the forum archives.

The point of this is that am I the only one that finds "Elf Ball" boring? Does anyone else feel this way? I would rather pass with a CD team than play an Elf team. By the way I throw alot with every bashy team I play. I dont care for bash it up the field 1 square at a time either.

Jeffro
Gary_Gygax

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Playing ALWAYS elfball is surely boring, yes
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 01:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Elf vs Elf is neat before TR 150. Cause you can't really rely on those 2+ with limited rerolls.
Past that mark, and even more past TR200, Elfball SUCKS.
It's far worse than Dorf vs Dorf to me.

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 01:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Scoring 3 or 4 TDs with a passing khemri team is much more fun than scoring 7 TDs with an Elf team. Maybe Illl change my opinion one day, but now I find it dull.

Jeffro
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

High TR elfball is quite hard. I have some high TR elf teams, and whenever I pley them vs true elfballers I get in loads of trouble.

Therefore I will not pretend it's easy. It's a different game, with it's own masters like Malthor.

Even so, it's not hte kind ofgame I prefer to play, so I'll answer: yes, it's kinda boring.

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 01:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe I find it boring, because I suck at it. I do well with Elf teams early on, then lose game after game when its higher TR.

Jeffro
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

No idea what youre trying to say here?

Are you saying elfball sucks because both teams are trying to pass? ie a passing team vs a cage team is fun while 2 passing teams is not?

Or are you saying elfball is really alot of fouling elves and not as pass-oriented as you would like?

o.O
Emphasy

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 02:01 Reply with quote Back to top

elf ball at high tr = who hits the most 1's lose 99% of the time
Shinan

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 02:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Emphasy wrote:
elf ball at high tr = who hits the most 1's lose 99% of the time

non elf ball at high tr = who hits the most skulls lose 99% of the time

Honestly though I'm a big fan of the passing play. I try to get at least one completion per game with ALL my teams and on the whole just enjoy watching the ball go from one end to the other in half a turn. Leaping around and strip-balling select players and running away from guarders while not spreading the defense too thin...

What's there not to like? Although I have to admit I have nothing against the mid-field brawl with one or two breaks for it where the depth of the defence really counts and when speed is key since everyone's so damn slow.

Come to think of it the part where it all goes wrong is when people get injured and carried off the field causing a massive imbalance and snowballing effect which means that the whole thing is hopeless. This applies to both ways of playing. They should remove any injury worse than a stun 8^)

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Why not try playing your elf team against a variety of different races and, as a result, playing styles? It could be an interesting challenge.

If only there were a group of coaches dedicated to that very concept... oh wait, there is! It's called the E.L.F. and we're playing Season IX right now. Hey, we even allow "bring in" games so some of the matches you've already played could count in the standings.

Please give it a look - we're always looking for new coaches.

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 02:47 Reply with quote Back to top

nice one pizzamogul Smile
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

you always can try new tactics. why go for a 4-3 by scoring in 2 turns.

Though yes, high TR elfbowl is really about luck.

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

High TR elf-balling's biggest challenge is Defence Defence Defence. If you succeds in stopping your opp from scoring then you can win. Sure alot of luck is involved, but the fun thing is to build a team that can defend ( and score ) against a high ag, ma team without beating the players off pitch. Skills choices and those rare +stat rolls you get are cruicial. It's alot harder to build a defending woodie team than dorf..... guard, mb, stand firm, are almost the only skills I have seen on a longbeard. Thats boring.

But the great thing with this site is that evryone can play the kind of games they like. Laughing Twisted Evil Razz

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the game gets less interesting at high TR.

The fun I find is in semi skilled games, and seeing the players improve and make mistakes.

Luckily my players die ... alot! so the middle TR games is where I tend to end up.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
I think the game gets less interesting at high TR.

The fun I find is in semi skilled games, and seeing the players improve and make mistakes.

Luckily my players die ... alot! so the middle TR games is where I tend to end up.

Right.

Nothing's more boring (and annoying) than those artificially boosted elfteams you often encounter in faction and [R] where you can easily cherrypick to develop broken teams.
 Jump to: