49 coaches online • Server time: 18:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season 100!goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
arcane257

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I have been thinking of putting together a human team, but looking at their roster am not sure what thier play style is like. I know we have some coaches around here who really enjoy them and I was hoping for some pointers on starting rosters, skill combos for players, and general style.

Heck even thoughts on why you dont like the team would be apreciated.
arcane257
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 21:36 Reply with quote Back to top

My 2 cts; spectate human teams coached by CR160+ coaches...

Watch and learn.

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/help:RaceStrategy

A nice start perhaps. Razz

Humans are tricky. But the key is to bash against agile teams and to play ball against bashers.
I have never seemed to get the hang of it tough... :\
Topper28

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I guess I should start then.

My lineup:

Catcher
Thrower
4 x Blitzers
rest linos

3 RR
9 FF

I use the 2 turn scoring strategy. It´s risky because of the ag 3 guys involved.

Skills on blitzers:

Guard, MB, Tackle, (Strip ball, shadowing, ect) Doubles: SF, Dodge

Skill on linos:

Block, tackle, (Doubles: Guard, MB, dodge)

Thrower skills:

Acc., block, HM, Dump off, tackle (Doubles: Strong arm, NoS)

Catcher skills:

Block, Side step, sure hands, jump up, sure feet (doubles: Dauntless, NoS)

Ogre skills:

Guard, Break tackle, Piling on, (Doubles: Block, pro)

I usually don´t need an Ogre before I get my 4th RR

Take this lightly, it´s just how I prefer to play my humies.
Kamahl

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Catcher
Thrower
4 x Blitzers
rest linos

3 RR
9 FF

Probably the best allaround starting human team. Notice how a great movement is complimented with enough skills to make that 3rr's last entire half. Try to score with blitzers early on to get quick acces to some guard / tackle and your're set.

Other starting team i see a lot forgoes the catcher some ff and one RR for an Ogre making for a impressive running game but losing some of the roster flexibility.
Fama

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Topper said it pretty well, but no safe throw on the thrower? Also, HM? Hail Mary? Sure hands on the catcher might be surprisinly good, since you can pick up the ball and speed away with it. Also, jump up is only available on doubles. But listen to the man, he has LOADS of experience playing with humans.

/me waits for Jan to see this thread.

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

@ Topper thanks for the advice. I will be sure and look it over as I make my team.

arcane257
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2006 - 09:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I hate humans for beeing too much a mixed-up team. I am unable to play them properly.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2006 - 09:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Humans are perhaps the worst team IMO. Their passing game is almost as poor as that of orcs and often they will find themselves outbashed by darkies, amazon, norse hell even goblins. Since the removal of stars as permanent additions to the team humans must be considered to be just above goblins.... lots of skills to start help a bit at lov TR though.

So my advice.... don't play them....

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2006 - 09:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Besides of what was said, try to keep your TR below 226 or even 200. Earn high FF and hire Stars to play in your games (this will help you to keep low TR anyway).
I've read somewhere that people rule up to TR 180 and it's true I guess.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2006 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Most of this is from the POV of a scheduled league, not an open league.

Speed combined with ST access is the Humans biggest strength IMO. Humans are the fastest team to have 4+ players with ST access.

That means against agile teams, you use your speed to keep up, and try and position your guarders for maximum effect. You want to keep it in nice and tight where AG4 can't have as much of an effect.

Against bashy teams, you try and outrun them, and use the guard to create localised strength advantages in important positions. You want to avoid getting bogged down, as you can't afford a lot of dodging out of trouble.

Expect a lot of player turnover, and remember that any of your players can do a litle bit of ballhandling.

Above all, remember AG3 isn't as bad as its made out to be - take some chances but have a plan B.

As to skills:

Blitzers: Guard and Tackle (I try and alternate), SF on doubles - anything beyond this is gravy

Throwers: Accurate, Block Doubles: a bit meh tbh, but Strong Arm and NoS are both decent choices. Nothing wrong with ignoring it in favour of Block or Accurate if its in the first two skills.

Catchers: Block, Sidestep, DT Doubles: Dauntless, Dauntless and more Dauntless

Linos: Block + useful skill (Tackle, Kick, Strip Ball, Pass Block etc, try and spread them around) or DP - a couple of DPs is a much more efficient means of getting rid of the opposition than MB on a Blitzer. Blitzers role is far too important to the overall team to waste time trying to cause CAS with them instead.

Ogre: Guard, Break Tackle Doubles: Block or Stand Firm - generally to be used as a walking meatbag to be hit as many times as possible. Try not to use him for anything that could backfire big time unless absolutely necessary.