31 coaches online • Server time: 01:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post killing by fun?goto Post Pact/Renegades metagoto Post Raising a Thrall wit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MrB

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2006 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Hoping someone can give me some advice

Got a Chaos team. All the advice Ive read says to form a cage around the ball carrier and run it into the endzone. Makes sense. However, what I find happening is that I form a cage then get surrounded. Even if all my blocks are at worst a pushback (which isn't gonna happen) Im still only moving forwards one square a turn, which isn't gonna get me to the endzone in time. What I end up having to do is tryin to make a break with a few players down one flank or the other and getting ripped apart.

So, how do you go about moving a cage forwards? Is there some shockingly easy tactic that I just haven't picked up on?
Sysiphos

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2006 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

try to blitz in such ways that you gain more than 1 square per turn...

And finally... 7 turns = 1 square a turn --> only 6 squares to go...

Another good tipp is to spectate some of the veteran coaches here playing orcs or chaos teams... and how they do the cage!
Webbe

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2006 - 12:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Normally you form a new cage each turn and not always consisting of the same players. This way the cage can move several squares a turn.

A cage is just a simple solution to keep the ball safe. It can often be done without proper caging once you get the hang of it though.
pac

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2006 - 13:07 Reply with quote Back to top

MrB wrote:
Got a Chaos team.

This may be part of the problem. Part of the idea of a cage is that if your opponent marks up heavily, you don't move forwards, but you wreak heavy damage on all the players who dared to man-mark! This is why Orcs (with plenty of Block, ST 4 players and S access) are great cagers, and elves (with no S access) are not.

In the long term, a Chaos cage can become too terrifying to mark, as you have to stand next to monsters with Claw, MB, RSC, etc. However, at low TR, Chaos just aren't very scary. Your team only has 2 players with Block, and 2 team re-rolls. Marking up your cage and forcing you to make those blocks is a good method of stopping it (certainly for any team with reasonably cheap players).

Quote:
So, how do you go about moving a cage forwards? Is there some shockingly easy tactic that I just haven't picked up on?

Not really. If your opponent is prepared to mark your cage, it is hard to move it forward more than that one square per turn. In theory, you should eventually get enough Stuns/KOs/CAS that you can make slightly faster progress (but remember there's no hurry till Turn 8! Wink).

To be honest, I'd recommend practising caging with Orcs first (who have a much easier time of it with starting Block, cheaper players and re-rolls, and AV 9 ... and Sure Hands ... and ...), and then bring what you learn back to Chaos in the future! Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2006 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

It's the eternal dilemma between safety and liberty.
The cage is quite the best protection for the ball, but it binds 5 players in a 3x3 square.
On the bright side, bashy teams like chaos are good in a melee, since all players have easy access to guard and those nasty mayhem skills.

Tank

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2006 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Webbe wrote:
Normally you form a new cage each turn and not always consisting of the same players. This way the cage can move several squares a turn.

When I cage I'll sometimes divide my team so to speak, i'll have 5-6 guys protecting the ball carrier and whats left (and not too far away) push on ahead, these guys will clear space for my ballcarier to run too.
Depending on the reaction of my opponent, i'll simply run into the new cage gaining a chunk of ground and look to consolidate,or if i think it appropriate i'll chance a hand off to another player in the next group and move them all together.
That last option is risky at times but the amount of territory gained is considerable.

There's a number of ways you can cage, but one thing to remember is that guard is the caging coaches friend.

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2006 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

caging:

pac is essentially correct. I tend to prefer cages with other races than chaos.

The square by square advancing and remove players off pitch works better on other races (unless high TR).

You have horns. That's your strenght. Everybody in the team blitzes at str 4.

a loose cage is usually a better option because you can easierly get into the running game. true cage means that your opponent will deny you flanks also and since you aren't bashy at low TR you cannot hope that your opponent will run out of players like would do khemrian for exemple.

Play a running cage. You have Ag3 and perfect blitzers. That's chaos strenght (hum yeah Claw+RSC also I know Very Happy )

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2006 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Loose cage? as in 5x5?

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2006 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

TheViking wrote:
Loose cage? as in 5x5?

ermmm

as in 11 vs 11 too

e.g.

--------------------> you score this way

x...........
......x.......
........x....
x.....B......
........x....
.............x

this may be an appropriate run in the flank caging espiecilly if you mark and hinder moves in the upper field (assuming no player can blitz you by running down. I mean, goal of the cage is that nobody can hit your ball carrier this turn. Why should they be right next to the guy?

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2006 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

x...........
......x.......
........x....
x.....B......
........x....
.............x

remember though that against an ag4+ , someone with dodge would not struggle too much to get a block in on this sort of open cage . A lot of players have made a mistake of thinking that having to dodge in 1 tacklezone will nessasarily deter an elf .

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2006 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

correct but only an exemple. You have to adapt your offense to your opponent. For exemple:

very unwise to cage a str 3 ballcarrier with no guarder and wood elves as opponents.

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2006 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

yep , a good idea is to plan what you will do , then consider what you would do if you where the opponent and you did what you are planning .
(although usually I cant be bothered with such forward thinking and just charge towards the endzone Razz)

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2006 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

That usually works too Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2006 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

There is one fact that you are missing: Chaos teams could care less about the ball! Bash their team into the dirt during the first half, then go after the ball in the 2nd half when you have 11v6. Then your cages should work perfectly Wink

Don't drop the soap.
Pro511

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2006 - 01:10 Reply with quote Back to top

ex-convict wrote:
There is one fact that you are missing: Chaos teams could care less about the ball! Bash their team into the dirt during the first half, then go after the ball in the 2nd half when you have 11v6. Then your cages should work perfectly Wink

Perfectly said. A cage seems to be an effective way of protecting the ball, not moving the ball.

Also, a 5 man cage does send 6 men downfield. If all 6 men downfield are covered and the cage is surrounded, that's 10/11 blocks on my next turn... a Chaos player's dream.

Actually, having a team set up one square away from my cage is far more frustrating to a chaos player.

Also, don't underestimate a Chaos pass. It is reasonably possible to throw... hand off... score if you've got a reroll. Cage for a while, then let it fly on turn 8.
 Jump to: