19 coaches online • Server time: 02:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Am I being cowardly or smart
You shouldn't deny a team simply because of one skill, regardless of the rest of the team.
42%
 42%  [ 89 ]
You are being a good coach who doesnt want to put his weak men into an obviously harmful situation.
21%
 21%  [ 45 ]
I see where you're coming from. I don't agree, but I get your point.
15%
 15%  [ 33 ]
Stop putting stupid polls on the forum that no one wants to see.
20%
 20%  [ 43 ]
Total Votes : 210

XxXInquisitorXxX

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 07:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all. I just wanna know what everyone else thinks of DP, whether it should be avoided or not. Now, obviously it's a factor taken into account by the computer when calculating a teams TS, but regardless of a teams statistics, i always refuse to play a game against a team with a player who has DP. As a lizardmen (predominantly) player I understand that saurus can take hits, but my very weak (and valuable) skinks are forever at risk of being injured, and a player with DP is exactly the kind of thing i DON'T want my skinks to encounter. by taking players with DP, as i see it, you are proclaiming to other coaches that you have no problem with fouling, that you'll do it, and that you want to be good at it. i have no problem with other people ofuling me, it's just that when you shout to the world that you're oging to do it, i tend to avoid those kind of teams.

Am I being cowardly and picky by avoiding teams with DP?

Or am i simplying doing my best to preserve the fragile parts of my team?
Gebannus

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 07:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, you are.

Teams with multiple DP I would avoid, but just because someone has a single DP doesn't mean that they're a Wuhan clone.
Have a look at their recent matches with that team, if they have 16 fouls then it's not cowardly but sensible.

If one of my players ages with a normal skill roll and I have no DP on that team then I'll take one. For tactical fouling, retaliation, or coaches that just really **** me off. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 07:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Gebannus, look a little closer before making an assumption based on one skill. For example I have a Necro team. What else does a zombie take after block if I already have 2 kickers? I like having the option to use a foul if I need to, or as was said if a coach really pi**es me off.
Wrongfooting

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 07:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't deny a team based on one DP. I hate gangfouling and unnecessary fouling.

If I don't have a DP then I think I can be taken advantage of if I play a team that does have one. Maybe that's the Cold War mentality at work.

Having a DP does not equal loves fouling. I want one as a deterrant and also to make my opponent think twice before doing crazy stunts with Gutter Runners, Wardancers, Werewolves etc.

They're also protective as part of the tactical mix for taking on teams like Lizardmen or Ogre. If you can't make your opponent worry about protecting his weak players then he can focus his efforts on demolishing your team.
Diabl0658

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 07:28 Reply with quote Back to top

If your worried about being fouled, simply try to eliminate the opponents dirty player, preferebly with your own dirty player. If your careful, there should be no need to avoid teams with a dirty player, although i cant blaim you for avoiding teams such as this http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=223439

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 09:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Skinks are cheap and easy to skill up.

I'm not a very experienced Lizzie player, (3/2/2 on Fumbbl and 1/0/0 on the board). That's how I see it though.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 09:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Cowardice ....would be maybe harsh......mmmm unexperience perhaps?

If I had a DP it's more than probable that I'd throw a little foul on your skinks, and maybe I would to any other team else if I thought it's worth to win the game.

However a regular player, DP or not don't foul always. I usually have something else to do than to look at a player to foul him. That's even more true in R were I didn't encoutered that much of foulers.

Anyway, I know it's not such a great argument, but your skinks are just pixels, and with proper team management you should be able to keep the team healthy, even if you loose one from time to time.

And you should develop anti fouling tactica: you don't acces to DP, but sauri should protect skinks while they go out with quickness in pack on a lone target. So usually, they shouldn't be easy fouls target.

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 09:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not saying the Skinks are overpriced - 60k vs 40k for Goblins and you get +2 MA for your money. I'm just saying ST 2, AV 7, stunty. If you spend all your postmatch winnings replacing skinks the team won't go anywhere.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

My own lizzis: I must somehow have been lucky to loose so few players vs some of those harsh opponents I played against but so far, this team surprised me a lot.

They fit my game style, to be honest.

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=1301706 , my opponent has no DP in this game, if id played a similiar team who also had a DP instead of a block in the line up I propabl would of lost another 2 players on top . The games bashy enough without DP in my opinion , Ill occasionally play someone with DP if its the only pain skill they have , although I usually regret it .
For me playing DP isnt very fun as your pretty much guaranteed to be rebuilding for your next 3-4 games . Especially if you play teams that will naturally average 2-3 casualtys before DP is taken into account.

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Well... not playing a team with one dp is cowardice, your words, maybe "cowardice" is a bit too strong. But if the team has multiple dp, then it's ok not to play it. Remember, the dp might go out from the first foul - probably does from the second one if fouled with the eye. And it might very well stun.

Also, to be honest... I'd foul your sauri instead of skinks. Skinks go splash when you cough at them, I don't need no dp for them Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Protecting yourself vs DP is something you'll have to learn as a coach if you want to be any good at Bloodbowl, as it is.

Now, by your reasoning of course it's smart to avoid DP teams. In fact, it's ultra smart to take on nothing but elves (avoid them like the plague if they have a tackle/mb, because those hurt too). And while you're at it, pick on coaches that are CR145 or lower. You'll have a TR500 team in no time.

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:
Protecting yourself vs DP is something you'll have to learn as a coach if you want to be any good at Bloodbowl, as it is.

Now, by your reasoning of course it's smart to avoid DP teams. In fact, it's ultra smart to take on nothing but elves (avoid them like the plague if they have a tackle/mb, because those hurt too). And while you're at it, pick on coaches that are CR145 or lower. You'll have a TR500 team in no time.

*whistle*

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

" i always refuse to play a game against a team with a player who has DP " = cherrypicking
Maybe reasonable, maybe not cowardice, but cherrypicking.
OldBugman

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Wheres synn?

[12:58] <Synn> i play positioning
[12:58] <Synn> not "watch me foul like a moron"
 Jump to: