63 coaches online • Server time: 17:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pac

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2006 - 02:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:
We do not play an overtime period in ranked. I have no idea why Junkie has chosen this.

Perhaps because some coaches sometimes tend to set aside a certain period for playing. If that period might suddenly need to grow 50% longer - because of Overtime - it would make it a lot more difficult to fit matches in.

I've never come across any league that used OT for regular matches.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2006 - 02:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Go to www.digyourowngrave.com/dice-wars and leave me alone!

I tried this game but strangely it seemed to contain no stalling or fouling. This confused me, so I had to stop playing.
Diabl0658

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2006 - 04:15 Reply with quote Back to top

we do play OT in tournaments

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2006 - 04:17 Reply with quote Back to top

diabl0658 wrote:
we do play OT in tournaments

Tournaments are not regular league matches ...
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2006 - 04:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't read through the 8 pages to see what was mentioned, so this has already probably been stated.

Stalling, just like excessive fouling or crowd pushing, is part of the game and is used as a standard tactic with some coaches and not used with others.

If you use stalling to tie the game, fine. If you stall for 6 turns to win and not let the opponent have a chance, not cool. If you stall when you have a 11-4 advantage to make the game go faster, yay. It all depends on the coach and the situation. Tournaments, and games, can be won or lost by stalling, but so can respect. But hey, as long as we love each other it's all good, right?

Don't drop the soap.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2006 - 05:04 Reply with quote Back to top

ex-convict wrote:
If you stall for 6 turns to win and not let the opponent have a chance, not cool.

your statements were fine until this point right here

where in the rules does it say that i have to give my opponent a chance to beat me?

basically what you're saying, is all the work that i do through a game, outplaying a coach, running better strategies, field position, etc...i should just throw out the window, and hand my opponent the ball, just to give them a chance to even the game up, or possibly beat me?..

are you insane?

sportsmanship only goes so far....being a good sport does *NOT* mean that you have to hand over control to your opponent and let them beat you....*WRONG*....

if my opponent is smart enough to take the ball from me when i'm stalling, good for them, i'll be a good sport about it, and not whine, and take it like a man....but you must be out of your freaking mind if you think i'm just going to *GIVE* the ball to someone "just to be nice about it"....

--j

ImageImage
Tophat

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2006 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:

if my opponent is smart enough to take the ball from me when i'm stalling, good for them, i'll be a good sport about it, and not whine, and take it like a man....but you must be out of your freaking mind if you think i'm just going to *GIVE* the ball to someone "just to be nice about it"....

--j

I once played a guy that kept begging me to let him score just this one TD ,or please leave the ball so I can get some SPPS for my players ....
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2006 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

the real question behind all these questions is finally... shall i play worse when my opponent or oppontens team is not strong enough to mess with me?

...and if i do, will it not be frustrating to see how he lucks me away?
Thomcat

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2006 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Glimmervoid wrote:
the real question behind all these questions is finally... shall i play worse when my opponent or oppontens team is not strong enough to mess with me?

...and if i do, will it not be frustrating to see how he lucks me away?

Well if u play against teams that is not strong enough - then we have another word for ya Wink and it sounds abit like someone picking the best sherry Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2006 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

8 pages for this! Oh God! This is stupid...

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2006 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
ex-convict wrote:
If you stall for 6 turns to win and not let the opponent have a chance, not cool.

your statements were fine until this point right here

where in the rules does it say that i have to give my opponent a chance to beat me?

I think all players should keep one thing in mind:

The goal of defense is to prevent your opponent from scoring.

One example of a good defense: Taking the ball away from your opponent.

Another example of a good defense: Preventing them from advancing the ball.

A third example of a good defense: Preventing them from getting the ball.

Knocking the ball carrier down?
A good solid line of blockers that cannot be pushed through?
Keeping control of the ball and preventing your opponent from getting the ball from you?

All are perfectly good defense.

Stalling is not "lame". A successful stall is a good defense.

Example 4 of a good defense: Killing all the opposing players. But for some reason, that makes people more upset, and no one seems to like a dirty player. It's just defense folks, that's all.
Diabl0658

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2006 - 22:53 Reply with quote Back to top

keybounce, you are a genius

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2006 - 22:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Thomcat wrote:
Personally I stall IF the opponent uses all his men to try and beat my men up - why should i award this kind of behavior by scoring so they have all the time in the world to score ? They do not seem that interested in getting the ball at the moment Smile

I try to beat up my opponent IF he chooses to stall Smile

Seriously, I try to prevent the opportunity to stall and when I can't I try to rip apart his team to a) convince him to score, already or b) weaken his team if play will continue after

Stalling's not so bad for a turn or two to make it harder for me to score, but I get particularly annoyed if my opponent could probably score again before the half is ove but would still rather sit around and settle for 1 TD.

It's even worse when they've beaten me up to the point where I dont even try to fight them off and they still decide to stall... and foul my players who aren't even getting up... doesn't happen much, but it's miserable and can set a team back by a huge degree.
keybounce

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2006 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

diabl0658 wrote:
keybounce, you are a genius

Why, thank you
/em bows

(I have a hard time telling sarcasm online unless it's more obvious than that, so I'm assuming this was a serious compliment)
Deniz87

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Walks_in_the_Sun wrote:
Stalling's not so bad for a turn or two to make it harder for me to score, but I get particularly annoyed if my opponent could probably score again before the half is ove but would still rather sit around and settle for 1 TD.

It's even worse when they've beaten me up to the point where I dont even try to fight them off and they still decide to stall... and foul my players who aren't even getting up... doesn't happen much, but it's miserable and can set a team back by a huge degree.

Agree.
 Jump to: