12 coaches online • Server time: 06:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Record the length of...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Hindsberg

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Idiotic! never heard anything so stupid.. oh yes funny ali from Iraq
Freppa

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah funny ali did say alot of stupid things too Smile
DonKosak

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Hindsberg wrote:
Idiotic! never heard anything so stupid.. oh yes funny ali from Iraq

Well so much for a polite response to a simple and not in any way offending proposal... *sigh*

Edit: I still need to learn these quote-tags... Confused
Synn

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the crowd likes stalling provided there is carnage to go with it.

Seriously.......

__Synn

Last edited by Synn on %b %05, %2006 - %17:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
NightGriffin

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

How about adding a bit of fun for the crowd. Like the counter is reset every time an opponent is sent out of the field (KO, crowd push or Casuality). I am sure the fan will like more a good boot to the head than a touchdown.
Skolopender

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Stalling is a valid tactic... For the dull and uninspired... And i consider it disrespectfull, that you care so little as to waste the opposing coach's time by doing so.

Though I hate to play against people who stall numerous turns, I wouldn't want to change the rules or the course of the game. I simply choose not to play that coach again, and place him on my stalling blacklist...

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup, it's disgusting! In Real life american football, they never grind out the clock for the win. Never! It's un-realistic. Wanting to win is silly if it isn't exciting!

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

It's disgusting when people run away to protect their team when I'm stalling. Takes all of the excitement out of my game. I mean, it's no fun when there isn't the risk that he'll come up with a major play and somehow grab the ball... Or to see if he'll pressure me into scoring...

The dynamics of a stall can be very exciting. Can I hold out till turn 8? vs Can I make him score leaving me enough time to score back? If it's boring... Your fault. Either that or you only have three players left. And in that case, wouldn't it be a boring match anyway?

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Skolopender wrote:
Stalling is a valid tactic... For the dull and uninspired... And i consider it disrespectfull, that you care so little as to waste the opposing coach's time by doing so.

Though I hate to play against people who stall numerous turns, I wouldn't want to change the rules or the course of the game. I simply choose not to play that coach again, and place him on my stalling blacklist...

while i agree with your comments, and commend you for just avoiding a coach who stalls since you obviously don't like that playstyle, and have no desire to force others to play your way....

i can't disagree more with your initial comments....

if you're playing unranked for S&G's..then sure, i might be able to see that...

but if you're playing ranked, you are agreeing that ranked is for *COMPETITION*...it's a COMPETITIVE league...

now that we understand that, how is it disrespectful if i'm doing everything i can to win?...

if i'm able to stall against your team, it's because of 1 of 3 things...
a) your luck just really stinks...
b) i've wrecked your team to the point where it's very tough for you to put up some sort of defense...
or c) you *REALLY* screwed up on defense....

more often than not it's c...sorry bout your inability to coach properly and keep your opponent from stalling, but face facts....

also, how is it dull and uninspired, if i'm trying to win?....the whole point of the game is to win(and please, let's drop the "oh i'm here to have fun!"..no...you're here to win, get over it)...and if stalling secures me a win...the how is it uninspired?...sure, might be dull for you, since you're on the losing side, here's a tissue to wipe up your tears, sorry bout your luck...it's not dull for me, since i'm winning...it's not uninspired, since again...i'm winning...and it's *FAR* from disrespectful...

the only disrespect i can see, is some inane argument that was brought up sometime, about me not giving you the chance to even up the score....

all i have to say to that, is go cry me a river....i'm here to win(which i do pretty poorly i might add), i'm not here to give you a chance to beat me...if i'm so willing to just hand you the ball and let you waltz into the end zone, then all the casualties i've done, all the tactics, all the fouling, *everything* has been for nothing....

so again, please, show me where the disrespect, the dullness, and the uninspiration is from, because i think i must have missed that memo...

--j

ImageImage
Skolopender

Post 12 Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Well... First yes I play Blood Bowl to have fun otherwise I wouldn't use that much time on it as I do. Second yes I play to win the competition that is Ranked. I just wish to do it my way... And yes I am loosing a lot, might be bad defence, might be bad luck or bad cherrypicking skills. Smile But that is besides the point. I generally have fun here on Fumbbl but once in a while I encounter a coach who stalls four-five rounds. And that bores me... not because im loosing but because "nothing" really happens. I don't ask the coaches to give me a fair chance to win... But when you sit down and play a game that takes 30 to 75 mins. to play I would prefer not to play a stalling coach. And therefore excercise my right to choose who I play in here... Take a Coach like Gary Gygax... He could and did beat me 5-1(or something) and it would still be a fun game because he plays offensive and makes interesting plays which are hard to defend against. And then we talk about the game... and the plays we make. And thats what I like in here... The fun community around the game of Blood Bowl...

And if we are bringing the discussion to the real world. Let's take the world cup... Italy were effective and dull in their play but they became world champions. Kudos for that. But it was dull... I think only the Italian supporters enjoyed that... And I respect that... But I don't have to like it. And therefore excercised my right to change the channel... I like games to be offensive and interesting both in here and in the real world... To me winning is second. I would rather loose a fun game, than win a dull game... And call me a whiner for that, but that is my point.

And for the disrespectfull part... If I sat down to play a table top game of BB with a friend. I would never waste his time by standing around doing nothing, for we sat down to have fun. Not to win... that comes second.

And if you have to win to have fun... Well thank god you didn't play on my football team when I was a kid. We lost some games 15-0... Funny thing was, we still had fun... Wink
pac

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Skolopender wrote:
And that bores me...

Sorry, but I never understand this point.

How can stalling 'bore' you? Presumably you're talking about a situation where you have no chance whatsoever to get the ball? How can that 'bore' you? You're not obliged to take the full 4 minutes for your turn, you know! Just click End Turn, and get on with it. It'll be over very quickly, and you can get on to the next drive, or match. If your opponent is taking ages, go into chat, or bring a book or something.

Edit: And yet more nonsense about Italy playing boring football this year! Bah, you people can't even have been watching. Razz

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Skolopender wrote:
Well... First yes I play Blood Bowl to have fun otherwise I wouldn't use that much time on it as I do. Second yes I play to win the competition that is Ranked. I just wish to do it my way... And yes I am loosing a lot, might be bad defence, might be bad luck or bad cherrypicking skills. Smile But that is besides the point. I generally have fun here on Fumbbl but once in a while I encounter a coach who stalls four-five rounds. And that bores me... not because im loosing but because "nothing" really happens. I don't ask the coaches to give me a fair chance to win... But when you sit down and play a game that takes 30 to 75 mins. to play I would prefer not to play a stalling coach. And therefore excercise my right to choose who I play in here... Take a Coach like Gary Gygax... He could and did beat me 5-1(or something) and it would still be a fun game because he plays offensive and makes interesting plays which are hard to defend against. And then we talk about the game... and the plays we make. And thats what I like in here... The fun community around the game of Blood Bowl...

And if we are bringing the discussion to the real world. Let's take the world cup... Italy were effective and dull in their play but they became world champions. Kudos for that. But it was dull... I think only the Italian supporters enjoyed that... And I respect that... But I don't have to like it. And therefore excercised my right to change the channel... I like games to be offensive and interesting both in here and in the real world... To me winning is second. I would rather loose a fun game, than win a dull game... And call me a whiner for that, but that is my point.

And for the disrespectfull part... If I sat down to play a table top game of BB with a friend. I would never waste his time by standing around doing nothing, for we sat down to have fun. Not to win... that comes second.

And if you have to win to have fun... Well thank god you didn't play on my football team when I was a kid. We lost some games 15-0... Funny thing was, we still had fun... Wink

The reason why you as you say lose alot - well could be that you allow your opponent to stall. Stalling REALLY takes 2 coaches to do. The only stalling i find a bit offensive is the coaches that just fouls the rest of the game (in half 1 it is an ok valid tactically plan) but in half 2 where the opponent has under 4 men on the field (with no chance of getting the ball) there is no reason to retire the team. But the stalling is still fine

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
Skolopender wrote:
And that bores me...

Sorry, but I never understand this point.

How can stalling 'bore' you? Presumably you're talking about a situation where you have no chance whatsoever to get the ball? How can that 'bore' you? You're not obliged to take the full 4 minutes for your turn, you know! Just click End Turn, and get on with it. It'll be over very quickly, and you can get on to the next drive, or match. If your opponent is taking ages, go into chat, or bring a book or something.

Edit: And yet more nonsense about Italy playing boring football this year! Bah, you people can't even have been watching. Razz

Agreed - stalling makes the game very quick. It's definitely frustrating not getting to the ball, but it's not boring.

As for Italy and the world cup - I have been blocking that out of my memory, I got robbed of my Germany-England final Sad
Skolopender

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

It Bores me se a coach choose, not to have his player run into the endzone and score an obvious TD, and instead stand around waiting for the clock to run out... You don't se a wide reciver, in American Football, catch a ball, run up to the endzone and wait till the last second, to step over the line... Stalling when you don't have a scoring chance isn't the issue here. I just find it trivial to look at... Thats my point when i say it bores me... Not the fact that I don't have chance to stop him from scoring... But the fact that he doesn't use his. (until the clock has allmost run out) Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

AFAIK, people DO stall in American football, just not on the goal line.

Edit: It also happens in pretty much every sport.

Last edited by Fama on %b %05, %2006 - %20:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: