40 coaches online • Server time: 14:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Skolopender

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

In profesional sports you never se anyone throw an obvious scoring chance over stalling the game... But they might stand around on their own field playing the ball around... Not scoring when you have the chance just doesn't work for me... I'm sorry but at least we have a nice discussion here... Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Skolopender wrote:
It Bores me se a coach choose, not to have his player run into the endzone and score an obvious TD, and instead stand around waiting for the clock to run out... You don't se a wide reciver, in American Football, catch a ball, run up to the endzone and wait till the last second, to step over the line... Stalling when you don't have a scoring chance isn't the issue here. I just find it trivial to look at... Thats my point when i say it bores me... Not the fact that I don't have chance to stop him from scoring... But the fact that he doesn't use his. (until the clock has allmost run out) Wink

and it BORES me to hear that people who OBVIUSLY do not go for the ball in defense whine about why the other guy does not just score. Hey make him !!! your entire defense CANNOT be based on "he will score in 1-2 turns" - that is just like not playing 2nd half.

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, my 2 cents: Stalling is something that is supposed to be frustrating. As in real sports, stalling is something that is not only supposed to help win, but cause a mental strain on their opponents. I think that an institutionalized rule against stalling would be cutting slack for players that have less skill.
Skolopender

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Make him score? Oh your god... That would be stupid to do... I don't think a coach ever told his players, if they stall then make them score, then it stops. Come on... Don't insult the otherwise good discussion. Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Skolopender wrote:
Make him score? Oh your god... That would be stupid to do... I don't think a coach ever told his players, if they stall then make them score, then it stops. Come on... Don't insult the otherwise good discussion. Wink

Meh, some people don't even try. They'll rather gangfoul your guys trying to stop you from stalling. They should just force the other guy to score.

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

If I stall it's because I want to beat up the other team some more rather than watch the clock run down. Very Happy If my team is well in control and is pounding on the other side then it would be stupid not to press that advantage and cause as many easy casualties as possible wouldn't it?

Having said that, people can stall for whatever reason they like - doesn't bother me. And you see it in football (soccer) all the time, players getting to the other sides touchline and keeping it at the corner flag towards the end of a game. I've seen people do it in basketball too, and i've only ever seen 3 games of that so it must happen quite alot Very Happy
Thomcat

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Skolopender wrote:

he by make him - I mean GO FOR THE BALL - then the opponent has to either keep stalling with the risk of losing the ball and letting u score fast or score right away.

As all these discussions allways comes down to is that the experienced coaches say the magic phrase: Stalling takes 2 coaches

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Skolopender wrote:
In profesional sports you never se anyone throw an obvious scoring chance over stalling the game... But they might stand around on their own field playing the ball around...

This is because in all these sports the attacking team comes under heavy pressure when they approach the scoring area. In American Football, the wide receiver scores promptly - because he has several large men chasing him! In rugby, the same. In football, players shoot on sight - because if they hesitate a defender will take the ball away!

Also, these games span a number of minutes, not a number of 'turns'. If you attempted to stall on the goal-line in these games, you could waste a few seconds at the most. Also, in these games it is often possible to score several times in just a few minutes. Blood Bowl is an entirely different animal: one turn less for your opponent to score in this half makes a <i>huge</i> difference to the game.

More generally: this is a computerised game which imitates sports - but it is not a sport. Delaying tactics are not going to take the same form that they do in real sports.

Edit: As for 'make the opponent score? That's absurd' - whether it's absurd or not, I've pushed an opponent into the End Zone, forcing them to score, on more than one occasion. <i>This is not a sport.</i> Attempting to apply real world sport's logic to the game will only leave you confused.

Last edited by pac on %b %05, %2006 - %20:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Skolopender

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

But have you ever seen a football(soccer) player standing on the goalline and not trying to score, and choosing to run away with the ball instead? I havn't...

I know what you mean Thomcat... And I do that... not succeding that often, as stallling just outside the endzone is nearly impossible to break open... Now you might say that is why i whine about it. But no... I just don't see the need for stalling when you can score... But again as i said before, I would rather loose a fun game than win a dull one... Fun over a win every day... Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Let's take the world cup... Italy were effective and dull in their play but they became world champions. Kudos for that. But it was dull..

And THAT is just plain wrong. But we've already had that discussion... Very Happy
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

As Vince Lombardi said it: If winning isn't important, why do they keep score?

Some time ago, I was frustated by stalling. But instead of opening a forum thread, I talked about it and watched some games where other coach stalled. And I learned.

If opponent stalls against you, either try to get the ball, or start pounding his other players. Usually stalling player has some guarding players besides him (if not, and you don't have any players in blitzing range, it's your own fault. You deserved it). That means that on the other side you have the numerical advantage. So start blocking and fouling. If your opponent starts crying "it's not fair to foul my best players, I'm playing for fun" you can just reply with "well, you can score on next turn, or stall some more".

So as nearly everyone said, if you don't like to be stalled on, don't let your opponent do it. Stalling is a good tactic on some situations, and some teams even base their strategies upon it.

Elfball is boring, Dwarfs are boring, and Orcs are double boring.

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Blood Bowl is NOT football (soccer as you weird people call it).

Now which part did you not understand?

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

True pac...

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Hee, hee, hee. Gotta agree with Pac for a change Smile

I played on a rugby team probably worse than your football team Skolopender.
I am defensive minded guy. With the team being so bad there were plenty of opportunities to make tackles so yes I still loved playing.

Winning is not everything. But I'm a defensive minded guy so I'll be happy with 0-0 as long as I have not screwed up too badly. 5-5 is not my kind of game. I would not enjoy it.

If you're down to 3 players on the pitch with 7 in the KO box then stalling is really frustrating. But that is the time that it makes most sense for your opponent to stall.

In most cases you should be able to prevent your oppo stalling for more than one or two turns.
Defending/attacking the stall should be pretty interesting.

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

This is so stupid. I bet all the people that hate stalling are the same who hate fouling and sex...
 Jump to: