33 coaches online • Server time: 09:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BigMac

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I think fumbbl needs a sharper profile for the ranked and unranked divisions. I think, what we miss is the "open" division of the old days. The "default" division, the division where the most games are played and where you have the biggest chance to get a game should not be ranked.
It should be "open" or, as of now, "unranked". If people want to play with their own personal agenda, they should do it in unranked, in a truly open environment.

Ranked should become the place where people go to play with a very competitive attitude. Meaning, people should accept games as long as they think it is realistically possible for both teams to win the game.

For example a 20:0:0 Elf teams should not accept a game by a 0:0:20 dwarf team, but neither refuse to play 20:0:0 Khemri. As long as you think you can win the game you should accept or offer a game. If your team gets destroyed, create a new one. What matters in ranked is winning games and collecting points and awards for your coach account.

If you want to build a TR500 Wood Elf team by picking on soft opponents, Unranked would be the place to do that.

Now, can i please have some calm feedback weather or not you agree with the essence of my posting (ranked more competitive, unranked completely open), and if you maybe have a suggestion on how to ecourage/enforce such an agenda?
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

That's something I said since the ranked and unranked split was made. I even was part of a (small) group that moved their teams from ranked to unranked at the time.

It didn't work. A lot of people supported the notion but waited with moving their teams to see how things developed. Naturally as there was no critical mass in unranked it didn't develop well. Actually I feel it is much harder getting games in unranked now then what it was like when the division started.

This has been discussed loads over the years. Please do a forum search.

-Mnemon
pac

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac wrote:
Now, can i please have some calm feedback weather …

Gladly.

At the moment, we've got proper English summer weather here: changeable. Showers every now and then, and then the sun jumps out and surprises you! Had a very pleasant walk by the sea yesterday which was very much coat-on-i'm-getting-wet and then coat-off-isn't-this-lovely. I much prefer this to the heatwave we had back a month or so ago.

Any other questions?

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Now its so, that one can transfer teams from ranked to unranked, why not simply revert that?
So you grow your teams in unranked, and if its getting good, put it in the "Premier League", where the main tournaments are played.
Most people play ranked, just because it has the greatest choice of opponents and you can get a game within a minute.

I´m waiting for months now to find an opponent for my deathroller armed dwarves in unranked.
JockMcRowdy

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Soon I'm gonna have to start a ban Mac from starting threads thread

If you are interested in joining please get in touch.
Furious_George

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankly, I like ranked the way it is, It ensures that im playing against lrb opposition, whilst at the same time maintaining a largely competetive lineup without having to take games that wreck teams. Im a little sick of people challenging my 9 man elf team with Khemri and then asking 'Why Not!?!?!' when i politely decline their proposal. Sure, I might win the game, but ill die in the process since hes a lame gank player with as many DP as linemen...
Anyhow, it was made clear to me that if you want a 'very competetive' league, go play Faction. Anyhow, ive gotten so sick of the 'Why wont you play me dammit' that if the player who will not be named asks me for games in IRC nowadays I just pretend to be afk. This 'ultra competetive' league notion of yours doesnt seem feasible or reasonable to me.
Sure, people SHOULD accept games if they can win. But they wont.
Im sure your dwarf team gets turned down for games they could be beaten in, and im sure you bemoan your opponents lack of bravery when they do. It happens to everyone, and whilst ranked isnt perfect, i wouldnt choose to play in your proposed league, and Unranked doesnt provide me with an opportunity to 'dodge' non LRB teams. If you cant see the logic behind that, then leave ranked alone, try to get your own division started up, so you and the other Orc/Dwarf/Khemri teams can play what would effectively be a bash round robin.
I cant see elves playing in a league where dodging games is not fair, bloodbowl isnt balanced with regard to team development, elves die quick on a diet of longbeards.
I like ranked as is, and wouldnt want it to change at all

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
pac

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 14:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Furious_George wrote:
Frankly, I like ranked the way it is …

Ranked? George, this topic is about the weather … Although I'm not quite clear as to why it wasn't posted in Off-Topic. Could a moderator move it?
Furious_George

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

A faux pas on my part pac, i really ought to learn to take supposed typos literally Smile
It makes so much more sense to me now... Very Happy

Me Loves Futurama
grandw

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

When you hear "ranked is bad, ranked is bad" the whole time, you start to think that way at one time Wink.

Play more "free" unranked games!
PandaPower

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure i've just read this thread... oh wait, no that was just another topic Big Mac made saying virtually the same thing. Oh yeah. This one is about the weather too.

Quote:

At the moment, we've got proper English summer weather here: changeable. Showers every now and then, and then the sun jumps out and surprises you! Had a very pleasant walk by the sea yesterday which was very much coat-on-i'm-getting-wet and then coat-off-isn't-this-lovely. I much prefer this to the heatwave we had back a month or so ago.

Changeable? Round here we just have thunderstorms followed by rain. Oh well... suppose it is changing. We want the heatwave back Sad
pac

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I can hear thunder (assuming it's not elephants)! I'll let you know if we get an actual storm here!
BigMac

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Picking games is something you cannot wipe out completely and it is neither necessary nor advisable.
This brave elf coach who played those dwarves and got beaten up while still winning the game has good reason not to accept the next offer by orcs, even if it is a reasonable one.
Just use common sense here.

What i am aiming at is a certain frame of mind and a degree of maturity for those who run a team in the ranked division.

When you create a team, you should ask yourself how you want to play it and what you want to accomplish with it, and pick the proper Division accordingly.
If you think it is a cool idea to create the nastiest Chaos team ever never ever pick up the Ball and Kill everything on the pitch, including the grass, then ranked would not be the division to do that.

It would enhance the playing experience greatly if you had a division where you knew stalling and fouling and shouting "timmmbeeeer!!!" when killing a treeman was the expected behaviour. I mean some of us are sick and tired of in game chat where the next best newbie whines "which part of elfball didn't you understand?" "i said no fouls!" "you have a star im gonna quit".

We could simply sort the divisions by interest. Unranked beeing the environment where you have to announce stars, and may agree on no fouls, and ranked beeing more competitive and sometimes nasty but also more thrilling. And grown up...
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 14:31
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, HERE is the 'play anyone' thread. I knew it'd be around here somewhere.

BigMouth, please stick to your established order for your sad little whines. You confuse me like anything when they show up randomly.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 14:32 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac wrote:
I mean some of us are sick and tired of in game chat where the next best newbie whines "which part of elfball didn't you understand?" "i said no fouls!" "you have a star im gonna quit".

I don't tend to meet opponents like that. Perhaps like attracts like?

Back on-topic: the thunder is getting closer and we have a little rain!
Furious_George

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm Glorious sunshine here Pac, Blackpool is where its at!

Me Loves Futurama
 Jump to: