46 coaches online • Server time: 17:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JockMcRowdy

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Storm has passed over here now as well, rained so hard a few mins ago I couldnt hear steve wright!

If you are interested in joining please get in touch.
Fama

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

The sun is actually shining in here.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's to the most arrogant player on fumbll: BigMac!

We had a tornado here, yesterday!

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Ever notice the hypocricy of BigMac having no teams that even play in leagues/tourney's? You know .... the places where tournament organizers set up games and you cannot cherry pick your way through the competition.

You want teams to be forced to play you???? Try joining a league. I'm sure there is one out there that will have you.

Oh ... and it's very nice and sunny here

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Mully...

What´s your problem, BigMac?
Frustrated because you can´t play enough elves with your bashy team?
Some like Elfbowl, some like bashing-foul-teams, some like something in between and everybody has to find his opponents and play matches, that mean fun to him...
I can´t figure out your problem...
PandaPower

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

What does the sun look like again? I can see a tiny bit of sky, but the rest is just cloud. At least it's not raining... yet. Where do you people live? I want your sun! Btw, there's a new storm coming your way guys Smile I think it's going to hit me in abuot 30 mins... (I'll give an update if I'm right, but if I'm wrong I'll just sulk.)
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac wrote:
(more crap drivelling from his worthless brain)

SHUT UP!
JUST SHUT UP!
GET OVER IT!
MOVE ALONG!
GET A LIFE!

--j

ImageImage
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

To recap:

Much like the America/Dumbfuckistan debates, everyone acknowledges that the system is not perfect, but no one has anything to contribute that will improve it.

Big Mac: rellying on people to police themselves won't work. It just doesn't. And the open format is something that at least a highly vocal section of fumbbl thinks is necessary, so that ain't gonna change.

Everybody else: While he does repeat himself, Big Mac has an (oft repeated) point. If ranked is the "competitive" division, something should be done to fix the situation as it currently exists. Also, you must ask yourselves, if this issue keeps coming up (and it's not just Big Mac who mentions it, although lately....), there may be an issue.

Personnally, I feel the way to do this is to re-jig the CR formula, to reward coaches who play all teams, and penalize those who don't, and to increase the number and scope of ranked tourneys (but both these things would require a fair bit of work on the admin's part, so i can appreciate why they're not attractive options). The more I play tourneys and fixed schedules, the more it becomes readily apparent that this is the way the game should be played. But that's me.

Oh, and on topic: here it's a sunny day, with a cooling breeze, it makes you think you need a sweater, until you step out into the sun.

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm quite comfortable with the actual situation on Funbbl, though I miss the Ladder. About 75% of my matches are unranked - most of them scheduled matches in unranked tournaments. The rest is ranked, stunty leeg and faction.
Don't be fooled by the presence of non LRB teams in unranked. Most tourneys are strict LRB and won't allow them. I would regard such unranked tournament as more competitive than many vagabond ranked matches.

pac

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:
… to increase the number and scope of ranked tourneys …

This is a good point and, by all reports, this is exactly what Malthor has been staffified in order to work on. However the ranking system might be tweaked, CR is just a number, and will remain so. A further improved Ranked tournament system would be well worth having - but there's no hurry. Smile
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
However the ranking system might be tweaked, CR is just a number, and will remain so.

Fair enough, but, at least in the beginning, this number was supposed to mean something. it represented your skill as a coach (rather than you skill at finding noobs). it could mean that again, if we took the steps to change the formula. Elf ballers could still elfball, cherrypickers could still cherrypick, no one would be forced to play anyone, but the coach who played a variety of opponents would simply be ranked as being a more accomplished coach than the one who didn't. How can this idea be controversial?

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
pac

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:
pac wrote:
However the ranking system might be tweaked, CR is just a number, and will remain so.

Fair enough, but, at least in the beginning, this number was supposed to mean something. it represented your skill as a coach (rather than you skill at finding noobs). it could mean that again, if we took the steps to change the formula. … How can this idea be controversial?

I don't think it would be controversial: just irrelevant, trivial and a waste of time. It's just a number. People remember champions, great games and great players, etc. Judge someone's skill by what they have won and what they are known for, not by some peculiar number. If you have doubts about a team or a coach's record, that's easy to check.

Edit: Sorry for going off-topic. Back on: it's dark, I'm inside, and I don't know what the weather's like right now.

Last edited by pac on %b %21, %2006 - %22:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Meech

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2006 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Amen Pac

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:

Everybody else: While he does repeat himself, Big Mac has an (oft repeated) point. If ranked is the "competitive" division, something should be done to fix the situation as it currently exists.

Personnally, I feel the way to do this is to re-jig the CR formula, to reward coaches who play all teams, and penalize those who don't, and to increase the number and scope of ranked tourneys (but both these things would require a fair bit of work on the admin's part, so i can appreciate why they're not attractive options). The more I play tourneys and fixed schedules, the more it becomes readily apparent that this is the way the game should be played. But that's me.

Oh, and on topic: here it's a sunny day, with a cooling breeze, it makes you think you need a sweater, until you step out into the sun.

A way to force people for to play greater variety of games is to leave opponent picking to the system to do. A new gamefinder, a gamefixer could be written. Putting a team into it starts javabb to join or host a balanced game (chosen by some means from the possible opponents).

To gain a variety of opponents either by race (the easy way) or by stats and skills picked (the hard way) categorize teams and pick opponent from the categories. The opponent should also be crosschecked from both teams playhistory to give approximately equal amount of games between different categories.,

I'm not saying this would be easy nor popular but as a way to gain fixed like schedule.

And for the weather, it's fine. Recent rains have been to clear up the smoke which flies to here all the from Russia.
DeMoorck

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

pfffft