53 coaches online • Server time: 18:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Daft

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 04:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm new around here but I read the purging ranked post above and had a few thoughts for a truly ranked league. For this, I would suggest a new league as the current ranked one is to crowded.

1. Each coach may only have one active team in the league.

2 You may only play teams within near the same power level as you are.

3. A system should be established where after you put your team on gamefinder, you may not decline back to back challenges. A challenges would be placed on the system with a time stamp. If you refuse the first you must accept the second. Failure to do so will result in a random removal of one player skill. (that skill could even be say tackle from a longbeard)

4. Every 2 weeks that pass without your team playing a game, you lose a random earned skill. This would continue until you are left with a basic starter team.

Could I get some thoughts on this from the peanut gallery. In my opinion, this type of league would bring the true cream to the top.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 05:26
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Razz

That cheered me right up.

Im guessing you play dwrves, orcs or khemri yourself?

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 05:26 Reply with quote Back to top

What has truly ranked to do with random skill removal?
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 05:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Daft, sounds like you want to play some [F]action. Those who don't game...get pushed to the back of the line.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 05:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, go play [F].

[R] is an open league.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 06:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I suggest that not playing would cause skill removal just to keep people from sitting idly at the top of the mountain without allowing any challenges. It would also reduce cherry picking of opponents. You couldn't sit and wait for a soft team to appear so you could play it. Doing so for too long would lead you to lose skills. Perhaps that could be only for the top 10% of the league.

As for guessing which team I would play, I really don't know. On the current boards I have not refused a challenge yet though it has led to the early retirment of both my elf teams.

I do think there should be a strict limit in a ranked league on the number of challenges you can decline, and a strong penalty for doing so very often.

In my mind on the gamefinder there would be one more collumn. I'd call it status. It would read open until either you challenge someone, or they challenge you. Then it would change to pending until you gave a response. I would also recomend a 3 minute delay from the time you log on until you issue a challenge to keep you from jumpping on just to challenge someone you think is weak. Basically, the guy whose name has been on the board the longest will get first pick at the newcomers. It would be a incentive to be patient.

Finally, this is not meant to be a bias against any type of team. You can still turn down a challenge. In theory, you would get a more balanced league. For example, would you still take 3DPs if you may have to face 15 cheap skeletons Khemri? How would it change the skill selection of a chaos player if he could not turn down many Khemri players? Would Khemri plan to live by the foul if they knew dwarven armor may be in their future?

Such changes in skill selection may have the unforseen consequence of opening the door to quicker and more stealthy teams.

I still think it is a good idea though it probably needs tweaking from those who have been here longer.

<edit> Oh, in case you did not notice, this is still an open league. Anyone could play. You just get one team is all.
Webbe

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Ranked is open and there is no intention to make it otherwise. If you want a challenge, join a real league in [U].
Peter_Thorpe

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 06:38 Reply with quote Back to top

like there all saying, ranked an open league, someone wants to work his backside off for a legend team, then just preserve them, thats his buisness

but ive got to admit, that could sort out the idle little buggers who cant even be bothered to play at all!

but what happens if there on holiday?

but what happens if there having trouble with there client?

we cant all og to fumbbladmin and tell them all this to get that lifted for the 2 weeks...their up to there eyeballs in support tickets and moaning ban pleas as it is, which i must say there doing a good job with, ive been twice and theyve helped quite well, but if we did this it'd most probably kill them off (joke, you know what i mean)

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 06:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess, what I'm looking for is a league where you can see who the best of the best coaches and teams are. I thought that was ranked but I may be wrong. By this, I am not looking simply for a tournament, but a place where you prove yourself continually game after game. So what if you worked your butt of and made a legendary team? How does anyone know how you got there?

I have no idea who is on top of the rankings right now. But for all I know that person may have sat and cherry picked games from others who are less skilled more often than not. (I know it did not happen that way)

I know that faction is meant to see who the best is, but the tier system is kind of annoying. I like both ranked and unranked because you can jump on and play anyone anytime. You just need a similar strength team.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 07:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Ranked works fine as it is... If you don't want to play a team no one should force you to do so. People play to have fun and not all people have the same idea of what's fun.

also:

Daft wrote:
I like both ranked and unranked because you can jump on and play anyone anytime. You just need a similar strength team.

Yeah it's fun because it's open... and why limit peoples freedom of how and who to play? That's why I don't like your suggestions... just my two cents. Wink
DragonsMaw

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 07:57 Reply with quote Back to top

In a way, it almost makes cherry picking easier, you can nearly FORCE an elf to play your chaos with 3 dirty players and str 5 piling on chaos warriors and crap, even though he'd be going into the game with 2 missing players from his last forced game against a bashy team that mauled him. It wouldn't really show best of the best anyway. The way it is now, you see who is the best, because you can look at who and how he plays, how he does. Just look for players that don't play the same team type over and over.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 08:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Daft - you can play anyone at anytime in Faction too, as long as they are in the same group as you. If Faction was had more players, there would be more players for you to choose from.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

DragonsMaw wrote:
In a way, it almost makes cherry picking easier, you can nearly FORCE an elf to play your chaos with 3 dirty players and str 5 piling on chaos warriors and crap, even though he'd be going into the game with 2 missing players from his last forced game against a bashy team that mauled him. It wouldn't really show best of the best anyway. The way it is now, you see who is the best, because you can look at who and how he plays, how he does. Just look for players that don't play the same team type over and over.

You say "cherry pick". Isn't cherry picking supposed to be a one sided match? Games against are rarely one sided and good money should usually be put on the elves.

EDIT: And what's so threatening about Piling On?
DragonsMaw

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 08:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Rerolling against a 7, it greatly increases the chances of actually GETTING that 8. It could be worse i agree, but it kicked my butt alot in rl leagues. And yes, sometimes the elves have a good chance, most times even, but when you go in several players short already, against a guy who focuses on killing, it will often ruin your elf team, and if he gets enough guys out early, often to a loss.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 08:53 Reply with quote Back to top

What's this...someone trying to impose some sort of ranking system on ranked? What a daft notion! Stop taking those drugs you're on laddie!

Actually, I think ranked is a little confused about what it thinks it is supposed to be.
 Jump to: