55 coaches online • Server time: 23:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, blood bowl LRB4 is not meant to be played past TR 250 anyway. We could cap the Majors to TR 300 (which would be reasonable), but I can understand those with uberteams asking "Isnt this a Major? The top of the top must be in".

So I guess it is a problem no one can solve. And limiting cash doesn't help much... when I have to face a TR450 Elf or Chaos team, the hired wizard becomes the last of the (many) things I have to worry about ingame, I suppose... Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
So I guess it is a problem no one can solve.

Well, to be blunt about it, when the person running the tournaments is also the best-known exponent of building high TR teams for tournaments, it's clear that no one <i>intends to attempt</i> to solve it!

(No offence intended, Malthor: you're doing a great job - both of running your teams and of running the tournaments!)
KhorneliusPraxx

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Khorne's Scorn loses another player...not looking good for me.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Bah, the rules are the same for everybody. Just build the best team you can (not necessarily the largest) and try your luck. Less talk, more play is what I say. My Glitz Gitz beat Malthor's Blood Falcons in a Legend SMACK recently. Nobody expected me to. It can be done.

Da Teef Rippas will be entering this one. With 9 guard, 7 MB, 5 tackle and 200k to spare, they are ready. Be afraid.
KhorneliusPraxx

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
KhorneliusPraxx wrote:
If only Khorne's Scorn could get an eleventh player...

Retire Lucky?

...but he is Khorne's Scorn's ALL-TIME leading passer, in completions and yardage. He is also their current leading rusher and has been with the team the longest of all active players. He also holds the following records:

6th Best Chaos Passer of All-Time
5th Best Beastmen Passer of All-Time
#1 Best Active Chaos Passer
#1 Best Active Beastman Passer
7th Best Active Beastman (by SPP)
Tied for 2nd Most Valuable Beastman (by MVPs)

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by KhorneliusPraxx on %b %14, %2006 - %17:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
PeteW

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
The problem with most of the teams the cash remark is aimed at is that they don't have to care about the extra TR. If you're going to give handicaps anyway the 30TR extra doesn't make a difference, or perhaps means 1 extra handi at most.

It's just another example of what threatens the status of the majors. They are too often being won by teams with a certain type of match record, and very little racial diversity.

Apologies to quote Cloggy, as he is one of the minor examples, but I fail to see what the problem is here!!!

Poor old Malthor hasn't even won a Major yet (but he probably will) and everyone is already complaining about him. It looks more like jealousy to me Wink

Looking back, my svants won the UI and they are a young team with a reasonably mixed record (except for the delfs but that was the XFL) and before me was Petter's Orcs in the WO (non-elven) and before that was Kfoged, who we all know is a quality player who will take on anyone.

Hence, majors aren't boring things won by elf-balling money hoarders - that was just the GLT. Have some perspective guys!!!

Rant over.

PeteW Very Happy

(Proud member of the Malthor fan-club, even though I do enjoy fouling his players....)

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

MadTias wrote:
Bah, the rules are the same for everybody. Just build the best team you can (not necessarily the largest) and try your luck. Less talk, more play is what I say. My Glitz Gitz beat Malthor's Blood Falcons in a Legend SMACK recently. Nobody expected me to. It can be done.

Da Teef Rippas will be entering this one. With 9 guard, 7 MB, 5 tackle and 200k to spare, they are ready. Be afraid.

Meh - you have no DPs!!!! Any team with 4 DPs would rip you apart no probs! Now where can I find two more DPs.....

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Meh - you have no DPs!!!! Any team with 4 DPs would rip you apart no probs! Now where can I find two more DPs.....

donate a player to the claws,
I'll make him a dp, and I'll try to make him famous as well Cool
sehou

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll do my best to et my vamps ready for FC V. Hopefully can get 4 vamps to 3 skills each and 12 thralls, which would be super. Who needs to go beyond round 1?!?!?!?
Emphasy

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Dont forget Midwinter or whatever they was called... entered a major with 11 players or so and won the damn thing...
PeteW

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Emphasy wrote:
Dont forget Midwinter or whatever they was called... entered a major with 11 players or so and won the damn thing...

Yeah, but that was Circ and he is a genius.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

My Chaoswill try to qualify for the fifth Cup. Unfortunately they lost a good Chaos Warrior and have only 11 players at the moment.
If they cannot recover, my Skaven will stand in for them... but they might need a One Turner additionally.
Malthor

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Let me put things into perspective first.

I entered the GLT II tournament after 7-8 qualifiers had been completed and nearly all were bashers.

As the tournament director in ranked, I put my biggest yet most fragile team into the mix to give publicity to the tournament despite the fact that I knew I would face many T16 fouls. I put in my prized elf bowlers risking death and injury (those who know me know that I would rather lose a game than lose a player) so that the death or maiming of my players could be celebrated (and there were wild cheers when I took permanent damage). After all, we know many coaches don't like the admin team and I am a controversial character to some Very Happy

I faced multiple DPs and Mighty Blow nearly every game and with amazing luck, only had two players maimed (and sacked) so far. In fact, in my last 3 games I faced:

a) 4 Tacklers with Claw, Mighty Blow and/or RSC + 2 DPs + other Mighty Blow
b) 3 Tackle Mighty Blow and 2 DPs
c) 5 Tackle Mighty Blows and another 2 Mighty Blows

Only through amazing luck and a turn 1 concession am I through to the final. Dominik (who is not complaining) gave me 7 casualties. That coulda easily hurt me bad and left me vulnerable to more carnage. Next two games I did three unsaved RIPs, they could have easily happened to me instead. And what would have happened? Most of you would have laughed and cheered the death of my players and the destruction of my team Very Happy (and I don't blame you). Can't have it both ways, I put the team on the line in a major so that more people can see my prized players get killed. Not my fault the casualty dice were kind to me.

Yes it looks like the Guardians are going to win the GLT II with an elf bowling cashed up team. There have been 9 Majors to date. This is ONE major that is highly favoured to go to an elfbowling team (and it is yet to be won). Btw, I have a losing record vs ankkh too so don't discount him and his 3 AG 5 Gutter Runners, especially if he gets Iron Man on the one turner. Can you honestly say that any of the other 8 Majors has been won by the sort of team that some of you don't like?

Anyway, now the good news...

Whilst there are no major changes to the FUMBBL CUP this year, there will be a lot of changes to ranked tournies next year, including tournaments with min/max TR, and also more rewards to be won on the tournament circuit.

There will be plenty of reasons to take part, and plenty of rewards even if you don't get the ultimate prize (after all, only one team out of 128 or 256 can win each Major, yet we still all enter and most of us have a blast).

There is no easy solution. Limit cash or have no qualifying rounds (eg straight 7 in a row) and you have almost no Elves or Skaven playing. How often do we hear about Undead, Orks and Dwarves dominating the SMACKs? And the GLT II was particularly bashy (few Elf teams bothered to enter for 5 FF) as it was.

However, it is my job to make the ranked tournaments more appealing to as many as possible, and if that means less chance for one of my infamous teams to do well, that is not an issue for me at all.

pac wrote:
JanMattys wrote:
So I guess it is a problem no one can solve.

Well, to be blunt about it, when the person running the tournaments is also the best-known exponent of building high TR teams for tournaments, it's clear that no one <i>intends to attempt</i> to solve it!

(No offence intended, Malthor: you're doing a great job - both of running your teams and of running the tournaments!)

still disliked all round!
pac

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I think this thread has slipped away from what people were actually talking about. This wasn't about elfball in particular, and it wasn't about Malthor (not specifically, at least). I apologise if my (hastily knocked off) post contributed to the change of direction. Going back to Cloggy's post:

Cloggy wrote:
The problem with most of the teams the cash remark is aimed at is that they don't have to care about the extra TR. If you're going to give handicaps anyway the 30TR extra doesn't make a difference, or perhaps means 1 extra handi at most.

It's just another example of what <b>threatens the status of the majors</b>. They are too often being won by teams with a certain type of match record, and <b>very little racial diversity</b>.

(my bold added)

This is the question for those running the [R] tournaments. They want the Ranked majors to be the biggest, best and most respected tournaments on FUMBBL. But: there is a perception that you can only compete in these tournaments if you have a team of the right race (primarily Dark Elves and Orcs), and if you build that team up in a way that can only be achieved by avoiding genuinely competitive games. So: should changes be made so that more 'normal' teams, from a wider range of different rosters, are able to compete? Or is it more important that the majors be a showcase for the biggest teams? Or are these perceptions incorrect in the first place?

Now, all these perceptions <i>may or may not</i> be accurate. But they do exist. I leave it to those running the tournaments to decide whether or not to take any steps to change things, but since there is currently a drive to expand the Ranked tournament scene, they should be aware of the widespread doubts that exist (accurate or not; reasonable or not) about the majors as they stand.

I hope to enter a team for the FC, and will enjoy being a part of it if I do. But at the same time I know that (barring great luck) they won't be genuine competitors as I don't have the time or inclination to build up a team in the way that seems to be necessary to have a real shot.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Why is it always the same whenever a major nears. This game is not perfect, its however susspoed to be fun, so chill guys, the tone changes like peopels live depends on these cups.

Kick back have fun, enjoy watching those 6+,5+,4+,5+,5+ TDs and those apo fail RIPs and whatnot.

My Hes will be there to keep up the legacy. Itwont do if some filthy stinking humaaaans or something even worse steals the cup.
 Jump to: