56 coaches online • Server time: 15:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season 100!goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
I think this thread has slipped away from what people were actually talking about. This wasn't about elfball in particular, and it wasn't about Malthor (not specifically, at least). I apologise if my (hastily knocked off) post contributed to the change of direction. Going back to Cloggy's post:

Cloggy wrote:
The problem with most of the teams the cash remark is aimed at is that they don't have to care about the extra TR. If you're going to give handicaps anyway the 30TR extra doesn't make a difference, or perhaps means 1 extra handi at most.

It's just another example of what <b>threatens the status of the majors</b>. They are too often being won by teams with a certain type of match record, and <b>very little racial diversity</b>.

(my bold added)

This is the question for those running the [R] tournaments. They want the Ranked majors to be the biggest, best and most respected tournaments on FUMBBL. But: there is a perception that you can only compete in these tournaments if you have a team of the right race (primarily Dark Elves and Orcs), and if you build that team up in a way that can only be achieved by avoiding genuinely competitive games. So: should changes be made so that more 'normal' teams, from a wider range of different rosters, are able to compete? Or is it more important that the majors be a showcase for the biggest teams? Or are these perceptions incorrect in the first place?

Now, all these perceptions <i>may or may not</i> be accurate. But they do exist. I leave it to those running the tournaments to decide whether or not to take any steps to change things, but since there is currently a drive to expand the Ranked tournament scene, they should be aware of the widespread doubts that exist (accurate or not; reasonable or not) about the majors as they stand.

I hope to enter a team for the FC, and will enjoy being a part of it if I do. But at the same time I know that (barring great luck) they won't be genuine competitors as I don't have the time or inclination to build up a team in the way that seems to be necessary to have a real shot.

Exactly my thoughts.
Just two things more:

1- Reply to Nighteye: I AM relaxed... and I don't need to chill out. I am perfectly satisfied the way Ranked Majors are organized. I would just like some more feedback from the much respected tourney organizer about the way management sees the Majors.

2- Note that I don't agree with pac because I want to win with humans... humans suck, I suck, so trying to compete is not an option. BUT I saw highly skilled coaches with the "wrong race" or the "wrong cash" or the "wrong TR" who got kicked out.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Not all highly skilled coaches can win, someone has to go. No matter what team they have.
Tricktickler

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to see a TR cap on some of the major tournaments. Maybe a TR cap of 175 for one and 225 for one.

I would also like to see diffent formats. What about a 256 players knock out cup?

And at last it would be nice with bigger and better prices for the winner.
PeteW

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't HAVE to cherrypick to make a competitive team!!!

My dark elves didn't, and as I said earlier, neither did Kfoged's nandorins, or petter's orcs and I doubt some of the previous winners (which I can't be bothered to check). Just play lots of games and you get a good team! You need a little bit of luck to get some nice stat ups and doubles but no need to cherrypick.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 22:56 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
My dark elves didn't …

You sure about that? Wink

Edit: In any case, as I've been trying to make clear, this isn't about elf-ball (or not <i>just</i> about elf-ball, anyway). It's about the <i>narrow selection of rosters</i> which is actually competitive at high TR.

And it's also about the <i>perception</i> that it's necessary to cherry-pick (whether it actually is or not). <i>You</i> say it's not necessary - but many would say otherwise.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 23:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I'm glad that at least someone said something about the sham that is the Blood Falcons. That's the biggest travesty. I'd post something about that sad fact, but I'm not at liberty to discuss all the reasons why this is the most lamentable part of the whole FUMBBL Cup.

Part of a PM I received with regard to the latest FUMBBL-cup, after I had critisized the fact that people would seriously complain about concessions against the Blood Falcons rather than that very joke of a team itself.

History repeating, might be the truth about a certain wood-elf team as well. Wink
Optihut

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't quite get what the complaining is about - for me the fun is the most important part, so unless your fun comes from complaining, what's the point? Sure, everyone hates the bloodfalcons, but would the tournament actually be more fun for me if certain teams are barred? Probably not, because then people would simply min/max according to the new rules, opening up the discussion for another round of complaints.

So in short - DP foul all whiners Razz
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2006 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

The point that I personally dislike is that it shouldn't take a WoW-like mentality of building up a team to compete.

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2006 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Optihut wrote:
I don't quite get what the complaining is about - for me the fun is the most important part, so unless your fun comes from complaining, what's the point? Sure, everyone hates the bloodfalcons, but would the tournament actually be more fun for me if certain teams are barred? Probably not, because then people would simply min/max according to the new rules, opening up the discussion for another round of complaints.

Well, ok, but having some limits over the minmaxing can help keeping the munchkins under control, doesnt it?

Tinkywinky wrote:
The point that I personally dislike is that it shouldn't take a WoW-like mentality of building up a team to compete.
Exactly.

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2006 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

/me frantically gets the new network card

DONT LEAVE ME BEHIND, I MISSED THE LAST ONE BY 2 WEEKS!

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2006 - 01:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Optihut wrote:

I prefer to DP foul all of the Blood Falcons.
Very Happy
Malthor

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2006 - 06:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Plorg, bring it on Very Happy. I enjoyed our XFL game even though you wrecked my team. I even enjoyed my GLT game against Dominik who T16 fouled me. It is after all, a game.

Frank, lets not play nameless quote games. I have received plenty of messages attacking a certain coach for his concession in the GLT and subsequent forum post, but what does repeating that achieve? It is obvious already that there are diverse opinions held by our FUMBBL members. It is blatantly obvious that you are not happy. But if you need to say it another ten times, go ahead.

Those who make bitter and venomous comments only reveal more about themselves and their attitude to gaming and life than anything else. May those that do find some happiness in this world because life is short and to get so angry and worked up about a game, well that speaks for itself Very Happy

still disliked all round!
KhorneliusPraxx

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2006 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

The Scorn are back up to 8 whole players...I really hope I have 11 by the time this starts.

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2006 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

When does qualifiers going to start? First of octobre or a bit later?
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2006 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Malthor wrote:
Frank, lets not play nameless quote games. I have received plenty of messages attacking a certain coach for his concession in the GLT and subsequent forum post, but what does repeating that achieve? It is obvious already that there are diverse opinions held by our FUMBBL members. It is blatantly obvious that you are not happy. But if you need to say it another ten times, go ahead.

Those who make bitter and venomous comments only reveal more about themselves and their attitude to gaming and life than anything else. May those that do find some happiness in this world because life is short and to get so angry and worked up about a game, well that speaks for itself Very Happy

Malthor, I had critized the Blood Falcons a year ago, I called them lame when I was chatting privately with you and they continue to constitute a disgrace for this site. I don't detest you at all - I just detest some of your teams (for the sham they are).

You really should consider if you're doing yourself a favour if you - as the reigning tournament manager - enter major tournaments with teams which - for a significant number of respected coaches (count me out there, I appreciate the privilege to speak without any regard to my reputation, which I do not care much about anyhow) - might have been suspect of repeated rules violations.

If you really think it is necessary for you to participate in majors with highly dubios teams (not implying that you have no other means of performing successfully in such tournaments), then at least be honest and call the associated majors "Blood Falcons Invitationals".

Of course, there are coaches out there who worship someone who is an admin, is in charge of the tournament department and holds tons of records with his team. But come on, lets speak it frankly: These are either coaches who breed uberteams with similar methods or individuals awestruck by Fro'de's and the Blood Falcons' "accomplishments" and will gladly sacrifice their teams for a game with such distinguished coaches. I know what I am talking about, don't forget that I was there too once. Embarassed

You, as an administrator with responsibility and power, should know better. Thus, I'd recommend that you do yourself and your project a favour - don't join major tournaments with uberteams of artificial design and consider to develop a method to prevent the participation of similar teams by other coaches too. Otherwise, you cannot deny a conflict of interests.

That said, these problems will be obsolete with LRB 5! Rejoice! Very Happy

Therefore, I most likley won't bother to make any related posts with regard to this topic, I have full trust and faith in your ability to conduct the proper course of action in the upcoming majors until LRB 5 will be implemented. Very Happy
 Jump to: