49 coaches online • Server time: 11:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Are you concerned about Global Warming?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 32 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 48

Tophat

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
I think the sarcasm was well-implied....

Do people in New Orleans even know what sarcasm is ?

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Montagne wrote:
By the way, do the still show creationism in US schools? Phew, mama was made of mud.
*hums Lucy's in the Sky with Diamonds*

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Laughing Laughing Laughing

True, for some posters it might be helpful indeed if they gave us their point of view concerning creatonism in their signature, sort of a basic credibility check.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, you sound like the First Lady..... "The Hurricane didn't affect Louisiana as much as Texas, because most of those people are homeless anyway"

New Orleans is the hometown of Jazz which, as any remotely theologically aware person knows, is God's one personal favourite type of music. Ain't no wrath heading there anytime soon!

EDIT:: Frank, give me a cohesive definition of creationism, and I'll tell you if I believe it.

Last edited by Macavity on %b %21, %2006 - %18:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
M'Kari

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Not unexpected that the people fobbing climate change off are the Americans. I am glad however, to see nearly all the Europeans here showing concern and our continent doing something to atleast get our house in order.

I'm just wondering whether the 'End-Timers' are a small faction or far more deeply entrenched. I am aware that they do have the ear of the current government, so maybe there are far more of them than originally thought.
Tophat

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:

New Orleans is the hometown of Jazz which, as any remotely theologically aware person knows, is God's one personal favourite type of music.

Are you sure , I heard he was into Gangsta Rap .

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm
I know I can´t change the mind of the stubborn denial that is going on here.
But take a look at these photos:
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/timages/page/glacier_bay012905.jpg

http://images.google.dk/imgres?

imgurl=http://www.explorersweb.com/sitemedia/TSthumbs/everest/kili3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php%3Fid%3D1361&h=424&w=280&sz=28&hl=da&start=24&tbnid=E5MunJFMezvUeM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=83&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmelting%2Bglacier%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Dda%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

http://images.google.dk/imgres?imgurl=http://images.wri.org/climatescience_carroll_glacier_before.jpg&imgrefurl=http://climate.wri.org/pubs_maps_description.cfm%3FImageID%3D2466&h=338&w=461&sz=47&hl=da&start=29&tbnid=Ox6xXWr3RRGmpM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=128&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmelting%2Bglacier%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Dda%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

http://images.google.dk/imgres?imgurl=http://images.wri.org/climatescience_carroll_glacier_after.jpg&imgrefurl=http://climate.wri.org/pubs_maps_description.cfm%3FImageID%3D2467&h=338&w=461&sz=47&hl=da&start=32&tbnid=_xwJYvtUQuVMzM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=128&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmelting%2Bglacier%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Dda%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

http://images.google.dk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.grid.unep.ch/product/publication/freshwater_europe/images/glacier.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.grid.unep.ch/product/publication/freshwater_europe/resources.php&h=298&w=400&sz=36&hl=da&start=46&tbnid=Jme1y86EKg50JM:&tbnh=92&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmelting%2Bglacier%26start%3D40%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Dda%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

or take your own google search at melting glaciers.
Especially the before and after pictures are "nice" Sad

I just hope that something is done before it´s too late and especially the Americans, Japanese, Australians and Chinese should get their asses moving.
Not that we are doing anywhere near enough in Europe, but the other countries haven´t even accepted that something should be done.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll try to briefly answer people's responses. sorry if I miss some of you.

Montagne

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunder_Minimum

not all scientists believe Earth's climate changes have little to do with the Sun. Furthermore, since about 1998, we've been seeing incredible solar storm activity.

No, it wasn't a joke. Those who are environmental fanatics in the US are living in the past or still trying to leech off of the tree hugging industry. Lead in gasoline was a problem. we took it out. Toxins from exhaust were a problem. We made catalytic converters. Now today's cars put out only 2% the pollution as cars in 1975....solved. Driving from here to New Jersey to see grandma in 1980, I saw the highway piled with fast food trash...now gone....solved. Rivers aren't catching on fire anymore....solved. Looking out from grandma's window and not seeing the building 3 miles away due to smog....solved....clear as crystal. Problems get solved. Like someone mentioned previously...focus on past issues, you take away funding for other more important issues. A dollar spent on CO2 cleaning, is a dollar not spent on AIDS....and which of those two is killing 8 million a year?

Eco Al as a vice pres. stated he wants to outlaw any car in america that gets less than 40mpg. In return, the SUV sales jumped through the roof. The people have spoken. CO2 isn't a problem to us.

Hurricane in New Orleans as the result of global warming? Well we're almost out of the hurricane season now...and we've seen none. So.....what happened? The CO2 is still here....but no hurricanes. Logical answer....two unrelated phenomena.

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Um... Ark, people buying SUVs is the one major silliness in that. People not caring about an issue, and the issue not mattering are totally un-related. As in your example, if enough people stop caring about AIDS, does that mean it's resolved? 5 years ago, few people did after the late-80s panic, so it was all done? You have legitimate points, don't sully them with nonsense, please.

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris
You apparently have VERY little knowledge on how the weather works.
I mean I know little but still.
Nobody ever said there would be 250 hurricanes a year - did they.....
Unfortunately I ain´t strong enough to really explain how it works, but one of the biggest influences of the hurricanes is the
meeting of the hot and cold water.
Now in ice there is no salt, this makes the water that melts from it lighter or heavier (can´t remember which)
than average water, and as a result it will change the flow of the Gulf stream, which is directly implicated in the El-Nino effect,
which in return again is direstly implicated in the hurricanes being made in the first place.
I am sry I can´t do better than this, as I am simplyfing it, and isn´t 100% certain of how it worksbut I don´t have the time to
read it all, and have forgotten alot since high school aproximately 10 yrs back.
Meech

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank god the Americans have the euros here to look out for us. Look out for Arktoris, he may try to lick a light socket again. Why is it that a single debate on here can't turn in to "AMERICA SCREWED THE WORLD"?

Macavity stop paraphrasing what the former first lady said. What she said was fairly harmless and pretty much accurate. Most of the people that were moved to Texas stayed in Texas and were better off from Katrina. No one is willing to acknowledge that.

Barbara Bush wrote:
Almost everyone I've talked to says, 'We're going to move to Houston.' What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Topper, I think Ark understands the implication of how people believe global warming will cause more hurricanes, but doesn't "buy" it.

EDIT:: Meech, it was a total paraphrase, but it was relayed to me from folk in Lousiana, who (perhaps incorrectly) took that as the connotation of her statement.

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Gosh I am amazed how controversial this is.

Outside the US you would be hard puched to find a reputable climatologist woho would not agree that man's production of greenhouse gases is seriously affecting the climate.

More worrying are the results of 2 independant and unconnected research projests that indicate that global warming due to CO2 production is being offset by a reduction in sunlight caused by the corresponding particle emmissions. This could mean that the clean air acts instigated in Europe and the US whilst reducing acid rain and other water pollution could seriously accelerate global warming.

European summer heat records over the past 10 years would support this theory.

Sorry Aktoris but as a chemistry graduate myself I am amazed at your diatribe.

I agree that scientists should be critical of theory because it is only by the severe testing that theory's are accepted. However your counter arguements don't address the core of global warming theory and your level of proof would require an irreversable climate breakdown.

Global warming is like most accepted theories very difficult to prove and in this case particularly until it is too late.

The earth is resiliant and geologists will point out many periods when the earth has been hotter than we are likely to make it by global warming, life and the earth will survive mans idiocy. The majority of species and possibly (although unlikely) man would become extinct.

World politics will address global warming and fossil fuel consuption when keeping a secure oil supply becomes uneconomic in wealth and human life. At which point the Swedes will clean up cas they will hold the technical superiority in renewable energy.

Sorry Topper don't get into the arguement, you lack the knowledge base.

Salt water is heavier, the extraction of ice at the north pole makes the sea denser near the pole and the denser water drops pulling the warmer water up. melting the ice caps will reduce the density and stop the drop effect cutting the gulf stream cooling the west European Climate. Yes Global Warming will make Britain colder but drier.

El Ninio is a cyclical weather event arising from the pacific and is not linked to either global warming or the gulf stream despite what misinformed scaremongering journalists might say.

Don't be fooled by the sunspot arguement this is also cyclicle where as global warming has been steady(ish) since the industrial revolution. That does not mean that fossil fuels are the cause, it just means they are the most likely.

Last edited by tadgoraucymru on %b %21, %2006 - %19:%Sep; edited 2 times in total
Topper

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

@Meech: Because the Americans are by far the worst on this issue - I am sry about it,
would much have preferred it was little insignificant Denmark.

@Mac: But it´s not up for discussion it´s a fact that the weather works that way.
So I realise Arktoris does not believe in global warming being a real issue, but I don´t see how he can deny that
melting ice gives more hurricanes. He states that it´s two different things
Quote:
Hurricane in New Orleans as the result of global warming? Well we're almost out of the hurricane season now...and we've seen none. So.....what happened?
The CO2 is still here....but no hurricanes. Logical answer....two unrelated phenomena.

However since Global Warming - if it´s true (as I believe it is) does melt the arctic water it will cause more Hurricanes - and more powerful ones by the way.
Not every year, but every once in a while.
Heck even Bjorn Lomborg (to those of you who know who he is) has acknowledged that global warming is a real issue -
However he believe it won´t be something to really worry about the next 50 yrs.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Mac,

I'm sorry if I'm not being specific enough in my logic for you. I'm trying to write as fast as I can so as not to sacrifice too much productivity here at work. I wasn't going to get sucked into this topic, but when Montagne started speaking for "us chemists" it touched a nerve. I also don't believe in writing e-novels in forums. This is my last message on this...time to get some real work done. Anyone want further talk on the issue, please talk with me in IRC or teamspeak2 when I'm there. That's when I'm free and can talk more in depth.

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Topper, you are still wrong. He is not sayin that melting Ice Caps wouldn't cause hurricanes, he's saying that CO2 in the atmosphere doesn't, as he does not think there is reliable evidence to show melting ice caps.

Ark, I just know that we all love to jump on weak points, so was trying to eliminate yours.