55 coaches online • Server time: 20:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Malthor

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2006 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Update no applications.

Swiftest Applicants are about 50% over applied.
Long Lived Teams 12
High TR 10
Tournament Winners 8
High CR 4

Remember that the groups other than Swiftest Applicants get preferencial treatment when it comes to second chance entry via the Quick Start.

I have had a few coaches withdraw their application from Swiftest Applicants to one of the other groups. Bear in mind we want to try and get 3 of each qualifier group filled if possible, so there are plenty of spots left in the groups (and we will do a recruitment drive at the end of the week to try and fill any groups that are just a few short).

still disliked all round!
Arcon

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2006 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Any chance you tell who is in (not in) SA group before the end of the week? Or to what time (12:05, 12:30, 13:00, 17:00) teams are in?
I think last year it was said all teams applied on the same day were in.
Malthor

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2006 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Near the end of the week, I will announce which date is outside of the first 40 (leaving 8 in for late drop outs) so that those who applied from 41 onwards can jump ship at the last moment.

MadTias

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2006 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Right... I thought I'd turn my attention to an over-looked subject when it comes to the majors. The majors are becoming more and more professionalised and I for one am happy to see this development. Coaches are metagaming harder in preparation of the majors (I know I am). Once there, teams are BIG and often loaded with cash for stars and wizards. Everybody is there to WIN. Nothing strange there, but...

On the eve of a majors game, you check your opponents team and see that she, like you, have a hefty treasury. So, you think about your chances and decide you want to hire a star. So does your opponent. Now... Who hires first? There is an obvious advantage to going last. If you go last, you will be certain of the respective team STR. At present, this is left up to the coaches to agree on.

In a more professionalised environment, I think there should be rules/guidelines for this as well. Even if the rule is just to roll a die to decide who hires first. Someone HAS to hire first, and since it's a disadvantage, neither coach really wants to. In the interest of a friendly atmosphere, coaches should not have to agree on who gets that disadvantage. So...

Anybody care about this besides me? Smile
Malthor

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2006 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

MadTias, this is another metagame heh. Some coaches insist on being the client, even claiming (some lie) that they cannot host just so that they can get the final hire.

Metagaming or lame? Best if you and your opponent can work this out between you. A bb d6 in the main chat for who hosts the game seems a fair thing to do if neither can agree who will host.

MadTias

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2006 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Any chance we can get that added to the official FUMMBL tournament rules?
Synn

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2006 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Madtias......

I have been thinking the same thing and have an idea?

Concept of "Commissioner".

Works like this:

If two Orc teams are playing each other, then they find a neutral 3rd coach. Each Orc coach PMs the commissioner what they are doing with their money. Then the whole hosting procedure becomes a moot point.

I would like to see this idea gain some kind of official notice. Simply b/c i think sneakiness is fluffy and should be left in the game..... not before it.

Thoughts?

__Synn
Arcon

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2006 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I don´t see any problem with hiring stars in a tournament with fixed shedule. You know what team is your opponent and you simply hire what you can afford or need to win.
Also, I have observed very often that both team hire what they want days before the game, and not just seconds before. I´d say there is no sneaking stars in as some do in open R games. Well, at least it shouldn´t. (but I think it is just fine)
Malthor

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2006 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Update on applications:

56 to Swiftest Applicants -> 32 spots. Anyone who applied after the first day is unlikely to get a spot unless someone (or a lot of someones) in front of them pull out. If you have applied to this group, I suggest you think about moving to one of the others, especially if you applied after the first day. The group remains open for applications as we never know how many may pull out.

24 to Long Lived Teams -> enough for 3 qualifiers. I can't tell you how many games you need to dislodge the 24th coach from this group (I don't know myself). Chances are that a couple will pull out anyway so it is still worth applying if you have a team that has chalked up quite a few games. Last year, I understand a team with 25 games made it into the top 16 applicants for this category. Anyway, it looks like this group may have 4 qualifiers. Apply now!

20 to High TR Teams -> need 4-6 more (I am assuming a couple may pull out) to fill a 3rd qualifer. This group could get to four qualifiers as well. Apply now!

11 to High CR Group -> need 5-7 more (as above) to fill a second qualifier. Apply now!

9 to Tournament Winning Teams -> Plenty of spots left to fill a second qualifier. Apply now!

So with 3.5 days to go, it looks like the 16 weeklies will be made up of:

4 Quick Starts
4 Long Lived Teams
3 High TR
2 High CR
1 Tournament Winners

And twp more for one of the last three groups.

MadTias

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2006 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Thx Synn, nice to have someone aboard with me. Malthor, you're not trying to bury the question by posting application updates, are you now? Very Happy At least say you'll "look into it" or something non-commital like that. Wink

Seriously though. Important issue?
PeteW

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2006 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Malthor wrote:
Addendum...

In relation to riddiculing... bragging about beating the Blood Falcons is acceptable Very Happy

Have your fun PeteW and RandomOracle Razz

I won't be having much fun now my darkies are down to 223/205 :S

Nasty Ankkh ripped my team apart.

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2006 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

MadTias - it is a good point and this is a procedure that I did with PeteW prior to the XFL Dark Elf Final and I think it works quite well.

Coach #1 (doesnt matter who they are, you can flip a coin to see who goes first) makes any number of changes as they like. Once they are done, they say DONE.

Coach #2 has two options - Option #1: they can accept the game as is - MAKE NO CHANGES to their team - and the game MUST start. Coach #1 can NOT make further changse. Option #2: Coach #2 can tinker with their team as much as they like - then they pass back over to Coach #1.

Coach #1 then can either accept the game as is (and Coach #2 can make no further changes), or further tinker.

so on, and so forth, until both coaches say DONE without making any further changes.

I think this works very well because you have the chance to make as many changes as you would like until you are satisfied with the rosters. Very simple and very fair process. And if you try to delay and force your opponent to spend first - you run the risk of them accepting the game as is, without spending any money, and you do not get to spend your cash.

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2006 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Borgen's idea is great. Worked really well. I like it a lot and think it should be a rule for all games! Nasty sneaky hireage is sucky imo.

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2006 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I think a seperate thread should be made for hte discussion of the proposal. This has the potential to blossom in a large discussion.

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2006 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Unless anyone can tell me there was a case of sneak hiring a star in a major tournament I think it is a rather pointless discussion....
 Jump to: