45 coaches online • Server time: 19:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kasferatu

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2003 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok first of all I know this is similar to the fouling thing, but that thread is long enough, and this is different enough in my opinion to warrant a new thread.

Secondly, I am a fairly new player, so please don't hurt me too much Wink

Ok, in a game a few days ago, I ended up pushing a player off in my last turn. It was not intentional, but I don't remember the reasons for it. My opponent politely told me that people get annoyed when its done, and I appologised, I do not intend to do it again.

However today I had a thought.

A lot of people use 'metagame' thinking towards the end of a match, especially to get a last minute touchdown. I see a lot of, "well its my last turn, ill just put my lineman on the end zone and take a throw to him even if it is a small chance. He wont push me off the pitch cos its the end of the match."

Isnt this a little unfair. If i was a goal up, and I lost because a guy took a risk he wouldnt take at any other point in the game just because he assumes i wont push him off, id be a little upset. Wouldnt you?

So it occurs to me that someone attempting such a tactic, deserves to be pushed off.. if you look at it from a certain point of view.

Anyway, thats just a thought. I will not ever push people off or foul at the end for no reason (unless the opponent went out of his way to hurt me for no reason). I like to think of myself as a nice friendly coach, and I dont want people to avoid playing me just because I thought of this.

Thanks for readin, I hope this hasnt been discussed before

Kasferatu
Revener

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2003 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

if it is to hinder a TD I wont complain about, and I usually don't anyway. Since I try to do a lot of pushoffs myself, at least with ,y Frenzy players Smile
veron

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2003 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

This exact thing has happened to me. T8, game was even, I had the ball next to the EZ. Opponent has a guy standing in the EZ, in the way of the ball-carrier. I push him into the crowd as I get a three-die block that way, and win the match. The opponent compains that I shouldn't have done that, it wasn't necessary to push him out. To make it a three-die, without any other rolls, it was necessary so I did it. And as Kasferatu pointed out, if you decide to come standing in the way there / stand up, you can't expect anything else to happen.

Totally pointless pushbacks at the end of the game, when the game has already been decided, is a whole another matter, this has nothing to do with that.
Kasferatu

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2003 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Well im more talking about people who will put a person on the touchdown line at the end of their last turn and try a throw to them, thinking that if it fails, you wont push them off because theres no point. Really isnt that taking liberties with peoples kindness?
Mully

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2003 - 23:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Sidelining and fouling in turn 8 after the match has been decided is classless and using the excuse "I want to help my FF roll" is BS. And even using the "this is BLOOD bowl" excuse won't help your reputation as a good coach.

However, sidelining and fouling in turn 8 when your opponent is trying for the tying or winning score can be considered a valid attempt on your part to win the game. Only you and your opponent know the circumstances of your game. I've only fouled in turn 8 once, and that was against a pecker coach who fouled me every chance he got.

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2003 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

stupidity should be punished! If you win when you push him out do so! I´d exspect the same done to my players if I knowingly place them on the sides.

I don´t not want to reopen the fouling stuff, but: I´d even foul a player last turn, if it would get me a chance to score (he could be blocking my way) and as I said before I exspect my opponents to do the same.

Then again, if the game´s done I wouldn´t pull any of the "nasty stuff" (remember: no apo for push of´s/ no SPP).

Sounds harsh, but that´s the game.

Cheers

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2003 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

How could a last turn shoveout help someone's FF?
If the player got hurt, no one would earn a CS for it.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2003 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Casualties for fan factor say nothing about the same restrictions as casualties for spp.

The Finishing Touch
Bretter

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2003 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I generally play mean and dirty until the outcome has been clearly decided. This is to say, I wouldn't go fouling a team that has, say, 3 players or so left to field... especially in the last few turns of the game (cough... cough... )

However, I consider it perfectly valid to foul, push off the pitch, or otherwise try to harm another team if it will give you a better shot at winning.
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2003 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I rather receive a push into the crowd than get blocked by a claw/rsc/po Rat Ogr!

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2003 - 01:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Nobody should have a problem with their opponent either fouling or pushing off in the last turn of the game if it is actually being done in an effort to score (as in Sinner's and Veron's examples).
However, I think most everyone agrees that doing it for no reason is nothing but destructive play and should be condemned.

Kasferatu, if you're talking about a second half where my opponent is going last and has setup up a player in the end zone in preparation of a pass in his last turn, then by all means show the fool to his fans.

If, however, he's already had his last turn and failed the catch (or whatever) and you're suggesting that he be punished for having tried such a move, thinking that you would have mercy..? I'll have to condemn you for that I'm afraid. You have nothing to gain from such an action. You may as well drag the thrower to the ground and kick the living shite out of him while you're at it! That'll larn him good and proper...

At the end of the day you have to ask yourself why you are doing these things? And why you want to?
I like my opponent to enjoy the games they play with me...

Darkwolf... the Rat Ogre will probably Block you anyway. Would you rather have a guy uselessly pushed off as well? That's the question...
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2003 - 01:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Twahn wrote:
If, however, he's already had his last turn and failed the catch (or whatever) and you're suggesting that he be punished for having tried such a move, thinking that you would have mercy..? I'll have to condemn you for that I'm afraid. You have nothing to gain from such an action.

I call bullshit on this. The issue isn't that he already tried and failed and therefore you are going to win (or tie) and therefore there is no reason to block him, the issue is that he tried a last minute risky play to win *with the expectation that he would not have to suffer the consequenses*. If you let people off on this kind of play, they will continue to do it, and at some point that last minute "risky" play that really isn't because you are nice will cost you a game.
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2003 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

But a CS from a shoveout is not earned by the team. It's done by the fans, and should not count for FF. The table does specifically say team inflicted casualties, and the LRB specifically says a shoveout is an injury inflicted by the crowd.
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2003 - 01:51 Reply with quote Back to top

More chance of a stun from a crowd push, b/c injury rolls have no modifier. Never get mad when a coach pushes me into the crowd, no matter what turn.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2003 - 01:54 Reply with quote Back to top

i would foul or push off the field at any time if there is still turns left and they only have 3 players left just for a chance at a forced concession but it has never gotten that close. i only push off if my guy was in a possition to be pushed off or if hes about to score and i never foul unless its an asshole coach who fouled my best guy on turn seven of the second half when hes stunned or if its a piling on clown shoe. thank you for letting me rant and i apologize if this is an incoherent piece of writing. i have lost all abilities to type through sleep deprivation. MOOOOOOOOOOO
 Jump to: