54 coaches online • Server time: 16:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Record the length of...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Hayati

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 10:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Background

I fairly recently joined FUMBBL and have played quite a few games in Academy, and more recently in Unranked.

Due to the friendliness & good sportsmanship of the Unranked coaches I played, I've even set up a few Unranked leagues.

Very Happy

Ranked's like what?!!

Anyways, I decided to start with Zons in Ranked this week, but found the following problems:

1) It's hard to find a game with an equal strength opponent. I saw comments like, "I don't have tackle", or, "You've won all your games", which basically amounted to people not wanting to play.

2) Many games I have played or spectated have been far from friendly! There was no chat from many opponents, and they just left immediatly after the match, without comment.

Sad

Afterthoughts

After my intial few games I was left feeling not-so-good about Ranked. I mean, sure, I saw a few friendly coaches in there, but I can't play them again until I have 10 more games of playing miseries.

Embarassed

I would like to continue to play Ranked, as I was hoping for the same friendly competion...why should consequences to CR make this so different from Unranked?!!

Question

Am I missing something? The Ranked I've seen is a soul-destroying experience where coaches are playing only for CR and are not interested in enjoying the game/getting along with their opponents. What is the point in that exactly?!!

Exclamation

Conclusion

So, in sum, could someone please reassure me that I've got it wrong and that Ranked is a nice place to be?!!

Evil or Very Mad

spelledaren

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a nice place to be.

That people dodge amazons (pun intended!) isn't all that strange, zons are very hard to face at low TR...

But yeah, also there are people who tend to not be friendly. Focus on the game and breaking their little team if you find those opponents Razz

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 10:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Amazons are just overpowered at low TR. As a result very few coaches are willing to play them till they reach 150TR. Start another team with another race and u'll see...

or play against dwarves...

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
Zuul

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

You really do have it quite wrong about ranked and spelledaren is right.

Break the whiners and have fun matches against good coaches when you find them... Razz

Also, yeah, you'll find that a lot of coaches do not enjoy playing against Amazons because they are a pain to hit and tend to require changes of tactics when you don't have tackle.
hugoeng

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 10:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Problem with ranked has always been that (unconsciously) most of us all look for an easy win and spp's. I play very little ranked, and then mostly to build a team for tornaments where every game counts.
I get the kind of behavior that Prasomchai speaks about a lot in ranked, but also in unranked. It's like going to a blind date, realizing that you're gonna spend 1,5 hour with a complete idiot...
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 12:20 Reply with quote Back to top

well IMO unranked tournaments players are usually more social than the average R player. Well, that's IMO normal since you need to be social inclined to play a tourny (pms and stuff, you start to know your mates, etc.)

I tend to prefer that environment.

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah yes, and to that end I have just discovered some Ranked tourneys...which should attract the more sociable Ranked players? At the very least it will not be the competition of choice for the cherry pickers...there's hope for Ranked yet!

Wink

sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Prasomchai wrote:
Ah yes, and to that end I have just discovered some Ranked tourneys...which should attract the more sociable Ranked players? At the very least it will not be the competition of choice for the cherry pickers...there's hope for Ranked yet!

Wink

RRR and smacks are for CR whores. cough cough, I played many of them...

However, since most takes those VERY VERY seriously, they are even LESS friendly than casual games.

U and S are place for lighthearted games!

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

SMACKs are fine as long as you avoid Rookie ones.

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

There are many coaches who can just play a game in R for fun and that doesn't care about what team they are up against. You will probably meet plenty of them so don't worry.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of them, since I try to win stuff instead of just adding games to my game history.
Arcon

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

SideshowBob wrote:

Unfortunately, I'm not one of them, since I try to win stuff instead of just adding games to my game history.

One can be eager to win AND friendly at the same time. Wink
Ranked is not as bad as you might think now. True, some cherry-picking of course, and since there are soooo many coaches playing there you get some of every type.

Have fun!
Spearhead

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 14:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps a solution is to join a league with ranked teams. If your zons are having trouble finding games at low TR (which they always will, until the dwarves show up,) then consider joining the RRR (royal rookie rumble) group. Your team is then entered in a 4 round tournament. You are going to play at least one game (assuming your opponents show up), and possibly up to 4.

After that, look for a ranked league that looks interesting. People care much more about winning in leauges (usualy) than in ranked, where many people cherrypick matches to make themselves look good. Leagues usualy have much more spirit, especialy if they have a good story (fluff) behind them.

Note: not all ranked coaches are evil. Many are, but not all. Hard to tell the difference sometimes.
Meech

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Prasomchai wrote:
Background

I fairly recently joined FUMBBL and have played quite a few games in Academy, and more recently in Unranked.

Due to the friendliness & good sportsmanship of the Unranked coaches I played, I've even set up a few Unranked leagues.

Very Happy

Ranked's like what?!!

Anyways, I decided to start with Zons in Ranked this week, but found the following problems:

1) It's hard to find a game with an equal strength opponent. I saw comments like, "I don't have tackle", or, "You've won all your games", which basically amounted to people not wanting to play.

2) Many games I have played or spectated have been far from friendly! There was no chat from many opponents, and they just left immediatly after the match, without comment.

Sad

Afterthoughts

After my intial few games I was left feeling not-so-good about Ranked. I mean, sure, I saw a few friendly coaches in there, but I can't play them again until I have 10 more games of playing miseries.

Embarassed

I would like to continue to play Ranked, as I was hoping for the same friendly competion...why should consequences to CR make this so different from Unranked?!!

Question

Am I missing something? The Ranked I've seen is a soul-destroying experience where coaches are playing only for CR and are not interested in enjoying the game/getting along with their opponents. What is the point in that exactly?!!

Exclamation

Conclusion

So, in sum, could someone please reassure me that I've got it wrong and that Ranked is a nice place to be?!!

Evil or Very Mad

It must be your time zone of the time you play in. I find that most of the people I play tend to be friendly, with 1 out of 5 being less than a pleasure.

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Arcon wrote:
SideshowBob wrote:

One can be eager to win AND friendly at the same time. Wink
Ranked is not as bad as you might think now. True, some cherry-picking of course, and since there are soooo many coaches playing there you get some of every type.

Have fun!

however, you belong to the ones that play in unranked tournament. You disqualify for the standart R guy. Also disqualify posters who tend to be social people either (except a few)

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

After a few months, I feel that, on average, in 3 ranked games, I will find 1 total jerk, 1 guy who quietly does his best to win, and 1 friendly guy who will cha and be nice whether he's succeeding or getting pasted by lucky plays on my side.

(I feel bad 'cause usually when I get good dice it's against these nice coaches, and I never luck out against the mean ones!!)
 Jump to: