66 coaches online • Server time: 20:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2006 - 11:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Squaq wrote:
What if "Random matches" ment getting a random team and a random opponent? Ofcause within some TS limit or even CR.

No cherrypicking. No complains about fouling in turn 16. A true challenge of your coaching skill.

no interest either.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2006 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Laviak wrote:
You could code it into an IRC bot of your own (no need to get Christer or someone else to do it) ... and can make it as simple or complex as you want.

I have written a bot in perl that does a fair chunk of what is needed.
- pulls TR/TS of each team from the group page (the idea is that anyone wanting to take part would join the group with their teams)
- parses "lfg" commands (from /msg or in the channel)
- sends a message to each coach when a "suitable" match is found (within 10TS), with a link to use the fumbbl game launcher to start the game

it could be expanded in all sorts of ways (pull coach's w/d/l record, CR, add special cases for teams that need help (dwarves vs zons))...

Don't change it for teams that need help...It isnt random if dwarves can't play Zons..

I would be willing to join a group like that if it was set up...Would be interesting..because at the same time the bashy teams can't cherry pick ME. Admittedly there is the problem that a team knows who else is in the division before joining, but with enough applicants that isnt a major problem.
Panda_

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2006 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Thread necromancy is bad.
Also remember the definition of Ranked.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2006 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Hitonagashi wrote:
Don't change it for teams that need help...It isnt random if dwarves can't play Zons..

You don't need to disallow dwarves vs zons, simply adjust the TS range that is considered "fair". Same goes for zons vs teams with no tackle, flings vs vamps, and probably all sorts of other combinations.

jimimothybodles

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2006 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

just like google has that "i'm feeling lucky" button (who uses that?!) there could be one on the gamefinder page.. randomly picks you one opponent!

this is a bad idea. i just felt i hadn't posted on the forums in a while...

*rides off in the SPAMmobile*

Optihut

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2006 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd love to give it a try, because the "oh but then this and that would happen" arguments are purely academical. It might be a good idea after all. However, since ranked is the open division, it wouldn't be good for ranked at the moment.
Optihut

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2006 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Panda_ wrote:
Thread necromancy is bad.
Also remember the definition of Ranked.

The first post is from the 8th of November 2006, that's hardly thread necromancy. Anything fresher than 3 months old is fair game for a bump imho.
MadMike

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2007 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I know this thread is old but i have to say somthing:

In my opinion a random match against a team with nearly
the same strength is a very good idea!!
It would be cool if there would be a seperated league like ranked, called random or so...
in this league you add your team to gamefinder and you get connected to another guy who did the same way. That would be VERY nice!
People who dont want to play there just neednt join this league!
So nobody could do cherrypicking like it was said before. I hate to ask 20 people to play against me. With the result that after a period of time you play against everybody even cherrypickers...

This idea with a random match ROCKZ!!!

Greetings MadMike
 Jump to: