46 coaches online • Server time: 19:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2006 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you see a lot of 160+ coaches playing <150 coaches because the low CR coaches are less picky about accepting a game.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2006 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I wish it was possible to turn off my CR.

And Pizza..... your post has to be up for post of the year Smile

__Synn
Mr_Launcher

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2006 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

The CR formula already takes the CR difference into account, so if you play vs a coach who is lower ranked than you, you will not gain much CR if you win but lose lots CR if you lose. The only difference compared to this suggestion is that currently, it's not a hard limit, but a gradual one. Basically, the current CR formula only has one draw-back: at regular intervals, people who don't understand it will propose changes that don't really have any impact.
SideshowBob

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2006 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Launcher wrote:
The CR formula already takes the CR difference into account, so if you play vs a coach who is lower ranked than you, you will not gain much CR if you win but lose lots CR if you lose. The only difference compared to this suggestion is that currently, it's not a hard limit, but a gradual one. Basically, the current CR formula only has one draw-back: at regular intervals, people who don't understand it will propose changes that don't really have any impact.

Ive been on fumbbl for quite some time and I do know how the ranking work Ty.

And it would have an impact, since some of the top 30 coaches would have to change their CR hunting strategy and actually need to win games where they have some opposition.

Actually I don't care much about it, but since CR does have an impact on the offical tourneys (you'll get a better draw if you have a high CR), it would be nice if the ranking was as fair as possible.
Zingr

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2006 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

SideshowBob wrote:
coaches that has a CR close to yours (maybe 15 points or so). You can still play and pick noobs all you want, but that won't affect your CR unless you lose. If you tie or lose, you should lose CR the same way as you do today..

So if I want a challenge or to improve my tactics and play a quality coaches (above 170) and I win some of those games I shouldn't be rewarded ? Great idea. That will encourage coaches to improve.

There should be a rule that says, "When proposing a change to the Rule structure the author must first think beyond their own narrow circumstance." Wink
SideshowBob

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2006 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Zingr wrote:
SideshowBob wrote:
coaches that has a CR close to yours (maybe 15 points or so). You can still play and pick noobs all you want, but that won't affect your CR unless you lose. If you tie or lose, you should lose CR the same way as you do today..

So if I want a challenge or to improve my tactics and play a quality coaches (above 170) and I win some of those games I shouldn't be rewarded ? Great idea. That will encourage coaches to improve.

There should be a rule that says, "When proposing a change to the Rule structure the author must first think beyond their own narrow circumstance." Wink

In my post i wrote " In regular R games - you can only GAIN CR points by playing vs coaches that has a CR close to yours (maybe 15 points or so). You can still play and pick noobs all you want, but that won't affect your CR unless you lose, you should lose CR the same way as you do today."

This of course means that the low CR coach gets his CR points as usual if he wins.

There should be a rule that says, "When posting a witty remark to a post ,the author must first read and understand the original post"

Last edited by SideshowBob on %b %01, %2006 - %18:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Mr_Launcher

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2006 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

SideshowBob wrote:
And it would have an impact, since some of the top 30 coaches would have to change their CR hunting strategy and actually need to win games where they have some opposition.

It follows mathematically from the current CR formula that the only way the top CR coaches (or anyone else, for that matter) can increase their CR in the long run is by becoming a better coach. Playing lowly rated coaches will not increase their CR in the long run because the few times they lose, their CR will drop enough to cancel out the many small CR increases they get when they win.
SideshowBob

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2006 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Launcher wrote:
SideshowBob wrote:

It follows mathematically from the current CR formula that the only way the top CR coaches (or anyone else, for that matter) can increase their CR in the long run is by becoming a better coach. Playing lowly rated coaches will not increase their CR in the long run because the few times they lose, their CR will drop enough to cancel out the many small CR increases they get when they win.

Edit: Maybe you should do a quick research in the top 50 list then...
Zingr

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2006 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

SideshowBob wrote:
Zingr wrote:
SideshowBob wrote:

In my post i wrote " In regular R games - you can only GAIN CR points by playing vs coaches that has a CR close to yours (maybe 15 points or so). You can still play and pick noobs all you want, but that won't affect your CR unless you lose, you should lose CR the same way as you do today."

This of course means that the low CR coach gets his CR points as usual if he wins.

There should be a rule that says, "When posting a witty remark to a post ,the author must first read and understand the original post"

I focus on what is actually written, not what was intended to be written, thank you Wink
deathgerbil

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2006 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

My solution to high cr cherrypicking is to beat the roya bejesus outa their teams so they'l lose their next couple of games with their team Smile If you just happen to be in a smack or a tourney where theres forced games, I can guarantee they'll lose a LOT of cr... then again that's my solution to just about any problem on fumbbl...
Mr_Launcher

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2006 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

SideshowBob wrote:

Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to look at a coach's CR history (previously, it was possible to show a graph were the CR was shown over time), so it is impossible to verify either the thesis that CR doesn't increase over time by playing easy opponents, or its anti-thesis.

What can be said after inspecting the highest ranked coaches is that they have a win ratio way above 50%, indicating that they do indeed play easy matches more often than difficult ones, but that doesn't prove that the reason why they are high CR coaches is that they play easy matches -- it is fully possible (and mathematically implied by CR formula) that had they played more difficult matches, their CR would be just as high.
lemf

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2006 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Pheweee this is all very meaningful and thought provoking like studying maths papers. I love the randomness of just playing who ever turns up. Most refusals have come from higher CR coaches who are too worried about loosing too such a lowlife coach. Taking even more away from them would discourage them further.
I LIKE BEING A CHERRY Razz
Zingr

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2006 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Launcher wrote:
SideshowBob wrote:

Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to look at a coach's CR history (previously, it was possible to show a graph were the CR was shown over time), so it is impossible to verify either the thesis that CR doesn't increase over time by playing easy opponents, or its anti-thesis.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=coach&op=development&coach=<#>

Drop the <> and add the coach's coach number. Coach number can be found on the addy of a coach's Profile page.
Meech

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2006 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Top 5 CR Coaches

1 PeteW 199.47 - Clearly Cherry Picker his way through XFL-Dark Elves, Fumbbl Cup and UI. Such a Picker!
2 Smess 192.19 - Won Fumbbl Cup qualifier and did decent in the cup and won a few smacks.
3 Pmg 190.77 - Won 8 Smacks, and done well in majors.
4 Webbe 190.5 - Won 6 smacks, played
5 ChrisB 188.15 Rarely plays ranked any more. Most of his ranked teams have 10 or fewer games.

Out of the top 5 I would say one of the people (ChrisB) could be considered a cherry picker. So what? The argument about seeding and CR is stupid. If a coach has a 190 CR just by cherry picking, and plays a coach of about 155 or so, shouldn't they be on the same playing level?

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2006 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
Top 5 CR Coaches

1 PeteW 199.47 - Clearly Cherry Picker his way through XFL-Dark Elves, Fumbbl Cup and UI. Such a Picker!
2 Smess 192.19 - Won Fumbbl Cup qualifier and did decent in the cup and won a few smacks.
3 Pmg 190.77 - Won 8 Smacks, and done well in majors.
4 Webbe 190.5 - Won 6 smacks, played
5 ChrisB 188.15 Rarely plays ranked any more. Most of his ranked teams have 10 or fewer games.

Out of the top 5 I would say one of the people (ChrisB) could be considered a cherry picker. So what? The argument about seeding and CR is stupid. If a coach has a 190 CR just by cherry picking, and plays a coach of about 155 or so, shouldn't they be on the same playing level?

So where was the top 5 coaches ever accused for something?
 Jump to: