38 coaches online • Server time: 10:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pac

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

The first Fimir All-comers Cup to be held on FUMBBL is now under way!

Of course, this is an ancient and much cherished competition, known to the inhabitants of Albion as the FA Cup, or just 'the cup'.

Its sponsors, the one-eyed, swamp-dwelling Fimir, are great Blood Bowl fans, whose total lack of depth perception (and solid ground to make pitches on) has prevented them from ever competing in the game.

Also, their understanding of Blood Bowl is rather limited, and so no seeding of any kind exists in their competition. This year, the cup has thrown up such first round clashes as:

• The meeting of Premier Division heavy-weights Rickson By Armbar and Dominus Astrum (the latter having just defended their league title).

• The mis-match of impressive Premier Division performers Doomed From the Start against inexperienced Chaos side the Ceredigion Carnivores.

• And the all-Wood Elf match-up of Ynys Gwyn Redigwyr and Death, Destruction n Scrubs.

* Not forgetting a grudge re-match between Exterminatus Rebirth and Drow Rangers. The two teams were each other's last opponents in this brutal encounter - which surviving Exterminatus players have not forgotten!

Be sure to give our Fimir hosts good seasonal entertainment!

Last edited by pac on %b %19, %2006 - %02:%Dec; edited 4 times in total
pac

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

One important note: if we <i>do</i> have this cup, it will replace any friendlies that might be played between seasons.
Garax

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I would love to do this. I hope I'm not in the play offs, because I'm very much interested in a knock out cup. I think it's good to have something between the seasons, break it up a bit. Plus it gives teams more of a chance to win something, and could also add some interesting dynamics to the next season, eg: the winners of the cup not being in the top division etc... I know its not likely, but you never know.

Anyway, I'm all up for this. Gives me a chance to get back in with the gits who owned my team when I was originally in the top division. Plus over the christmas period I'm gonna be at home, and therefore have reliable internet. Gonna be playing SO MUCH blood bowl! Yay!
Xenon

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I would also support this if for nothing more than giving the "Stunts" a second chance at showing that they are worthy of the White Isle Premiership before completing next season.

I think it would also be good to do this over the christmas period when a lot of peoples availability changes due to the holiday season.
pac

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, the KO set-up says you can make a tournament random. Is this a new feature? Is it properly random?

Anyway, that would seem to make my life a little easier. Smile

Redrawing each round would still be ... more awkward. Smile

Edit: Also, another thing we could really use is <b>another name</b> better than 'White Isle Cup'. All suggestions welcome in this thread!
Gres

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

If we can't use "Far Albion Cup" then who can? Very Happy

I'm in two minds - my team is still developing and doesn't really need to run into a Premiership meatgrinder but then again it sounds like good fun.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah - I'm all for this. More White Isle tourneys = more fun. I've got £5 on me drawing some Dorfs first round and not having a team left come next season, but that will just add to the fun! Very Happy

Actually, getting through a few rounds of this will really give some of the lower sides some more skills going into season 4, it's a real incentive to do well. Or for some lower league side to make a name for themselves by maiming a star player!

I was thinking of suggesting some kind of 'White Isle SMACK' over the holidays actually, we could pick a day and roll up to have a SMACK all to ourselves, at whatever TR level we feel happiest at as an 8. Just an extra thought! Wink

Edit - I was trying to think along the lines of the F..... Albion Cup as well, Far Albion works for me. Or just the 'Foul Appearance Trophy', I've seen PeteW's bio!

/me shudders! Laughing
JockMcRowdy

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds great but unfortunately im going away for Christmas and will be without the internet for 10 days!!!! Not sure how I'll survive, probably by being drunk a lot, so I would vote for a selfish January Tournament.

If you are interested in joining please get in touch.
BlackNWhiteDog

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm up 4 it Very Happy

Already thinking about trophys!

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:

I was thinking of suggesting some kind of 'White Isle SMACK' over the holidays actually, we could pick a day and roll up to have a SMACK all to ourselves, at whatever TR level we feel happiest at as an 8. Just an extra thought! Wink

I love this idea to and would love to get involved in Smacks but struggle to find enough people ready to start one. If we could arrange one from within our league I think it would be great fun and would allow me to get straight into the SMACK scene.
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it fair though? Two teams will get 5 'preseason' games others none.

There is the risk of having your team killed but I suppose this favours high AV teams. Smile

Would it be better to use brand new 'amateur' teams so as to not affect the league?

Also, How long is this going to take? Arranging games may not be so easy over the holidays.

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds good , you can count me in.
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

sounds like fun
Unstoffe

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd sure be up for this, although I can see the concerns with the more successful sides getting a serious team building opportunity.
Could you not let teams that have been knocked out arrange friendlies?

Oh and the pre-arranged smack sounds good too Smile

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps a solution to the worries would be to have a 'cup' and a 'plate'.

32 teams in the 'cup', 16 1st round winners advance to round 2, 16 1st round losers go into the 'plate'. Everyone gets at least 2 games, and a maximum of 5. A kinda Hong-Kong sevens party feel, everyone gets a fair shake.
 Jump to: