25 coaches online • Server time: 01:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Meech

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 14:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Walks_in_the_Sun wrote:
After a few months, I feel that, on average, in 3 ranked games, I will find 1 total jerk, 1 guy who quietly does his best to win, and 1 friendly guy who will cha and be nice whether he's succeeding or getting pasted by lucky plays on my side.

(I feel bad 'cause usually when I get good dice it's against these nice coaches, and I never luck out against the mean ones!!)

I have been all three of those coaches.

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

*start shameless plug*

I dunno, I love ranked, but come try out BB7s Very Happy. Friendly and fun Very Happy

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=3433
*end shameless plug*

Well, I find that most of the jerk players come out against me when I have a fragile team trying to cherrypick it.

I get FAR fewer jerks wanting to play my DEs than wanting to play my Skaven...

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
Walks_in_the_Sun wrote:
After a few months, I feel that, on average, in 3 ranked games, I will find 1 total jerk, 1 guy who quietly does his best to win, and 1 friendly guy who will cha and be nice whether he's succeeding or getting pasted by lucky plays on my side.

(I feel bad 'cause usually when I get good dice it's against these nice coaches, and I never luck out against the mean ones!!)

Hmmm. We've played 4 games and I've never gotten to meet the evil, jerk Meech. I demand a rematch!

Pizza: Pokes Meech with a stick.
Meech: Cut it out. You're making me angry... you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.
Pizza: Poke, poke, poke.
Meech: La-a-ast warning!
Pizza: ...poke?
Meech: MWRAWARRRRH!!!

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 15:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I have played in both division, not many games but over a long time. I have found chatty opponents and jerks in both divisions, yes sk8bcn even in your leagues. As i havent that much time to play regulary in leagues i only play open since over two years. And i still have fun against most coaches, some coaches are not that chatty but still nice to play against.

But for a fact you find more coaches addicted to win or worry about their team (to my shame, my elves are too sometimes Embarassed ) in ranked. When you have the time just try play in both of them.

Walks_in_the_Sun wrote:

Thats because the mean ones have a hard time in RL Wink

Recordopedia Spluttanica
Topper

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, while I agree that there are a few soundly idio... here on fumbbl it´s very few.
I have met aout 3-5 in my 234 R games.
Obviously I sometime get irritated at whiners but in general I try to think of it as them letting out steam, and just laugh at it..
That way you actually have fun playing a whiner, another thing I love is when someone is being outplayed and he frustratingly starts to foul my players.
I add short messages as "heh" or "good choise", to see how they react, usually a "what´s so funny with you being fouled" or "yeh real funny" pops up.
And as Pizzamogul has as his "statement" (in need of the correct word there)
"Everything has its limits. Iron ore cannot be educated into gold. " -Twain.
Some people are beyond the reach of common sense - don´t let it bother you Smile
Meech

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

pizzamogul wrote:
Meech wrote:
Walks_in_the_Sun wrote:

Hmmm. We've played 4 games and I've never gotten to meet the evil, jerk Meech. I demand a rematch!

Pizza: Pokes Meech with a stick.
Meech: Cut it out. You're making me angry... you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.
Pizza: Poke, poke, poke.
Meech: La-a-ast warning!
Pizza: ...poke?
Meech: MWRAWARRRRH!!!

Good point, I don't think I have ever been quiet either.

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to use [R] as a breeding ground for teams that I can shift over to [U] tournaments, where the real fun is. It's a friendly, yet highly competitive atmosphere in [U], because you know that the game you are playing will impact the tournament it's in, and your opponent is far more likely to have a good chat in the game, as you'll probably see him again the following season / tournament. Also, if the tournament you're in has it's own chat channel, so much the better, as there can be a small community following games that you are playing and that impact the season, which adds to the fun.

There are a few in Ranked that are there to relentlessly improve their CR and nothing else (for the same reasons some guys have big cars, I guess), but just leave them to it. Due to the one-off nature of the division, you are bound to run into the odd rude opponent, just feel better about putting the boot in! Wink

I will say that the [R] tournaments that I've played in (very few to this point) have all been great fun, very competitive, and the opposition has always been a good laugh.
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 16:38 Reply with quote Back to top

It seems like human nature that people are more chatty and fun with people that they already know, or at least know of.

In [U]nranked leagues you may know the names of coaches and their teams for weeks before you actually play them. You may have chatted/argued Smile with them in chat or on the forum.
You may have checked out their results and maybe even speced their games or watched replays.
You will have played some of the same teams/coaches.

You immediately have a lot in common with them compared to someone that you have never heard of in [R]anked.
It's just they way it is. People are often less likely to be polite and friendly to people that they don't expect to see again.

As a league commissioner your league members all know who you are and have extra reason to be nice to you. Smile

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 17:25 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
As a league commissioner your league members all know who you are and have extra reason to be nice to you. Smile

If only it worked like that. Wink
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
koadah wrote:

If only it worked like that. Wink

Just forfeit all the moaners.

Ooops. That's not me is it? Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Spearhead wrote:
Perhaps a solution is to join a league with ranked teams. If your zons are having trouble finding games at low TR (which they always will, until the dwarves show up,) then consider joining the RRR (royal rookie rumble) group. Your team is then entered in a 4 round tournament. You are going to play at least one game (assuming your opponents show up), and possibly up to 4.

Yes, please bring more Amazons into RRR's.
And more Dwarfs as well!
Hayati

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2006 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, thanks for all your info. I've been reading another thread about cherry-picking and CR and have to agree that CR is pretty pointless the way it currently stands.

CR was the only point of my entering Ranked - not as in I must win every game(!), but rather to allow me to get a feel for where I stand in the overall scheme of things. I envisaged a friendly division where CR was at stake but people still enjoyed themselves...!

After all that, I've decided to leave Ranked alone and go back to my beloved Unranked, where I can be happy playing games with like-minded coaches.

PS: it was said above that of 3 games, 1 opponent is an idiot, 1 is quiet and 1 is a good sport. Seems like a lot of suffering, 2 tedious games for every good 1!

lord_real

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2006 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with you that there is not much point in CR. I try to play the best coaches to improve my game so I try to play against coaches with high CR. But its almost impossible to actually get a fair game against coaches with CR 170+ (not all high-CR-coaches, the ones I am talking about know who they are). So most of CR seems to be about picking the right opponent team. :\
But some of the high CR actually are great players. And those are the games I enjoy the most. Even when I get my ass handed to me on a plate. Its fun to improve ones skills. Smile
Those coaches usually are talkative and funny as well. Smile
Meech

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2006 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I have never looked at CR to determine a game. It is like asking for a girls IQ before a date.

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2006 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the easiest way to enjoy Ranked is to do wat I do, but few do.....

Don't offer games, you won't get rejected. Just bb lfg, and wait... someone wil come along. If they over a grossly unfair match up, you can feel that much better about yourself when you win. Seriously. Go look at my profile and take note of my picker awards, anmd the order I got them. Then start having fun.

P.S. REAL fun only exists playing Khemri coached by PaulHicks!