61 coaches online • Server time: 17:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season 100!goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What should Rabid do?
Stop flogging a dead horse and redraft
34%
 34%  [ 8 ]
Fight on With Touchstone (he's the only one worth playing for)
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
Fight on Without Touchstone (the overrated bum)
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Take a break from it all
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Keep your Fiancee happy and never play this childish game ever again
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 23

Rabid_Bogscum

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2006 - 13:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok these have been the two most unfun seasons I have ever known and have me contemplating quitting or taking an extended vacation.. what to do? do I struggle on for the glory of the fluff, and attempt to make the Echoes as long lived as they can be, or just give up and redraft or do something else

heres the pathetic team in Question
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=203461

Proud Member of the SWL
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2006 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

With only one niggle and an enforcement of a TR150 cap next season, you should be OK in reggies to rebuild next season.

The stat downgrades are 'bad' but at least the players are all available (with the only risk being one niggle)

I know that PLATYPUS one the SWL with a niggled filled Woodie team because he knew how to win with only 5-7 players per match... watch some of the Mammalian games for tips.

I think with FF8 and 3 rerolls, I would start saving cash to replace the lower SPP stat downgrades (#5) and the niggle #9. Then I would develop the -ST guy as a catcher and perserve vs TR100 ish teams.

It may take you two seasons in reggies though...

Good luck, keep em!
Laviak

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2006 - 13:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally like to play all elf teams in a way that you get as many SPPs on linos as possible. Basically, in order to ensure the long-term survivability of the team, you really need to spread out the SPPs as much as you can (otherwise you end up relying on one or two players to do all the work for you). Not everyone agrees with this approach, but it seems to work well for me.

If you like the team, and want to keep them going, I would drop touchstone in the cull. I would also put the other injured players on the LoS, and definitely withhold apoth rights for the niggler. You should be able to rebuild the team (replacing all of the injured players) with one season of regionals, and then get them promoted into the conferences again the following season.

On the other hand, you could re-draft if you think that you'd prefer a different race (I think it will take about the same amount of time to build a new team as to get the current one back into prime condition again).

Longshanks

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2006 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I'd keep them personally. Reggies is a much safer place Smile I wouldn't be in a hurry to get them back to conference either - build up the numbers a bit first.

Bearing in mind I'm not a woodie coach I'd be dumping Touchstone, hard though that might be. It gets you below the cap and he'll always be your go to man and continue to hog the spp's.
Personally I'd be aiming to build a core of lino's and not replace any of the catchers as they get injured. They inflate your TR and score most of the TD's which leaves your lino's unskilled. ST2 ain't exactly your friend either.
I'd be aiming to develop a couple of ball winners (i.e. a WD or two) and then just use linos to throw/score to give them a couple of skills each. If you're not aiming for immediate promotion you can just try and farm points as you can - pass every turn Smile

Consider getting sidestep as a second skill on the linos. Stops you getting chain blocked and minimises the chances of being gang fouled/surfed.

Lastly .. get some luck !

ps If you retired them, what kind of crap might you pick up in the draft? At least woodies have style Very Happy
chunky04

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2006 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd redraft. If you're not enjoying yourself, give yourself a shot in the arm and play something different - variety is the spice of life.

Disclaimer: Individual posting this is a team swapping whore

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2006 - 00:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say play on without Touchstone, but I'd also lean towards redrafting. A new team, playing style and armour above 7 might keep you interested.

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2006 - 00:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Geez I dunno.

The bad news:
I'd think about chucking the tree: he's gotten 3 skill rolls without block and the 4th will take forever. But you can't afford to do that yet..
The guard lino with kick is unfortunate, guard elves are so cool but they need protecting and kick just makes that word "target" tatooed on his face bigger & redder.

The So-So news:
The niggler has to be kept, but the 1/6 games he doesn't play will be a lot less fun for you. But he is quality and edging very close to getting sidestep which will only increase his utility.
That FF8 wouldn't want to get a lot lower either..

The Good News:
Even with 2 MA penalties your catchers are in good nick.
Touchstone is something special, I'd rather strip back to skill-less linos and keep him than take any advice to chuck him.

It's tough to be a woodie coach.
So good, and yet, so transient...

I think I'm leaning towards agreeing with Chunky on this one. And I am not a team tart, though I have nicely durable ultra-violent Orcs, so its easier for me to be that way.
Shatterstar

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2006 - 02:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Time to retire this team I think mate. Like all leisure time its supposed to be around fun. If you sit down for two hours only to get up again frustrated and despairing then perhaps time to rethink our leisure time strategy. SWL favours bashy teams, thats a given. Even if you fire the treeman to cull down that leaves you 8 players at AV 7 to start next season. You only have to run up against a fouling fanatic like your last opponent and serious injuries compound. Anyway you can almost count on two injuries a season normally and its going to be a long rebuild ahead. You played these Wood Elves well and took them to Premier. Congrats on that achievement. Retire these guys, start something bashy and foul like buggery with the rest of them.
Personally I'm thinking of retiring the Stingers and just playing Fringe for a while to recover from my own sense of frustration.
Glutton

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2006 - 02:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Redraft, if it aint fun then its not much of a game and you'd be displaying some kind of masochistic tendencies if you continue. Rolling Eyes
Snorri

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2006 - 02:58 Reply with quote Back to top

If you're gonna keep it, I'd actually keep touchstone. Just dont get any more spp on him. He can make it tough for the other team to get the ball, which means less bashing. Dump the two injured 40 point linos (Veris and Baj) and buy a fresh lino with your 100k and go from there. This way you're also not having to replace an uninjured player which means 70k closer to a full outfit.

First couple of games you'll play for survival, nothing else. Lots of dodging, avoid the two turn try (which means he gets six full turns of bashing and driving safely) even if it means risking losing the odd try. Then work on rebuilding to a full squad and getting another rr along the way before thinking about confs again.
Patrician

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2006 - 03:25 Reply with quote Back to top

If you do keep Touchstone, my guess is he'll attract plenty of attention from rival coaches, so hopefully you can score with your other players and keep them alive.

Keeping the team could be a pain though. A bad run of luck and that FF8 could fall again...

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2006 - 03:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Having fun is the name of the game. And nothing is more fun than winning. If it ain't working right now, I'd start over and try to have some more fun. If it ain't fun, it ain't worth it.
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2006 - 04:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Id say give up on the fluff...that sort of long form writing only reminds you how whacked up the team is. Best thing the Crowes did was retire Ed Harsh Wink Now we just keep on keeping on. Always there or there abouts...and we always have fun! Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2006 - 22:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Keep the team and Keep Touchstone. You and I will have more fun in Reggies next season Rabid Razz
 Jump to: