53 coaches online • Server time: 22:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BigMac

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2006 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Reading through pages 17, 18, 19, and 24 there are a number of options to tweak the rules. The goal is to nerf fouls so much that you really can tell the difference, but so little that you don't really care...

Tweak: Movement
LRB4, Page 8 wrote:
Blitz: The player may move a number of squares equal to their Movement Allowance. He may make one block during the move. The block may be made at any point during the move, and ‘costs’ one square of movement.

Tweak wrote:
Foul: The player may move a number of squares equal to their Movement Allowance. He may make one foul during the move. The foul may be made at any point during the move, and ‘costs’ one square of movement.

This would make fouls cost one square of movement but also allow the player who commited the foul to carry on moving if he has enough movement left. So a player could pick up the ball, foul a prone opponent on his way to the end zone, and score a touchdown. The foul action would be performed quite similar to the blitz action. Besides the streamlining of the game mechanic, fouls would be a little bit harder to commit because of the reduced movement. As a side effect, fouls would require players to go for it more often, which is a death sentence more often than not.

Tweak: Head Coach
LRB4, Page 17/18 wrote:
This model represents you, and so does not cost any gold to hire for the team. During a match your main job is to yell and shout at the players in your team in order to inspire them and, more importantly, to yell and shout at the referee if he makes a call against your team. In order to represent this, every time the referee sends off one or more of your players, or issues an illegal procedure call against you, or bans the use of a secret weapon, you may argue the call with him. Roll a D6. On a roll of 1 he expels you from the game, so you may not argue any more calls for the rest of the match. On a roll of 2-5 he ignores you and his call stands. On a roll of 6 he accepts your argument and reverses his decision.

Tweak wrote:
Remove "Argue the call"

This would lock the chance for a player to get sent of after a foul to a fixed 1/6 or 3/6 respectively. The rule for illegal procedure is something i dont't really care about, i imagine if you do then making it more harsh doesn't really bother you. Secret Weapons are also sent off a little bit more often, a minor improvement imho.

Tweak: Fouls
LRB4, Page 24 wrote:
Normally, players that are prone cannot be attacked. However, when you use this rule, one player per team turn is allowed to take a Foul action. This allows the player to move a number of squares equal to his MA and then make a foul against an opposing player who is both prone and in an adjacent square. The coach nominates the victim, and then makes an Armour roll for him, adding +1 to the score. Other players that are adjacent to the victim may assist the player making the foul, and each extra player joining in adds a further +1 to the Armour roll.

Tweak wrote:
Remove: "adding +1 to the score"

Well this one is simple, the chances for a armour break are significantly reduced. A single dirty player foul without assists would be +2/+2 instead of +3/+2 as it is right now. Leaving that poor Wood Elf with AV 5 instead of AV4.

Tweak: The referee
LRB4, Page 24 wrote:
A +2 modifier is added to the D6 roll if a team commits any more fouls in the same half.

Tweak wrote:
"A +2 modifier is added to the D6 roll if a team commits any consecutive fouls. This modifier only applies until the opposing team commits a foul."

This one is about moving the eye. No more saving up your Dirty Player for the second half, as the eye is "carried over" to the second half and into overtime. Significantly boosts "never foul back" as a counter strategy to fouling.

Tweak: Handicap Table
LRB4, Page 19/43 wrote:
Get the Ref! / Bribe the Ref

Tweak wrote:
Flip "Get the Ref!" (Kick-off Table) with "Bribe the Ref" (Handicap Table)

The tweak here is when what occurs. "Get the ref!" becomes a Handicap, which makes sense since it is damn powerful. The much better balanced "Bribe the Ref" becomes a kick-off result instead.

Bribe the Ref
Each coach rolls 2D6 and adds his teams fan factor to the score. The high scorer has taken up a collection to convince the referee that his players are a nice, clean bunch of fellows! You may ignore the first penalty called against your team. If the score is tied, both teams bribed the ref.

Get the Ref
At halftime your fans decide the referee has been bought and exact vengeance! His replacement is so intimidated that for the rest of the game he will not send any of your players off, even if he spots a foul.

Star Player Points:
Well casualties from fouls could and should be allowed to count for SPP if the above tweaks are applied, especially if you decide to use all of them.

Fouls with reduced movement, increased risk of beeing sent off, reduced chance to break armour, and no way to get rid of the eye at half time would really justify that - and might be an incentive for the folks playing in your league to give them a try.

Last edited by BigMac on %b %28, %2006 - %04:%Dec; edited 17 times in total
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2006 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Should we care about tweaks for LRB 4 when LRB 5 is out?

Jeffro
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2006 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I like that idea, I could see an Orc Blitzer doing that, pausing only to stamp in the nether regions of a prone opponent.

Don't think it would change things that much, would you implement this in LRB 4 or 5?

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2006 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

And that's a nerf... how?

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2006 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

It's more a boost than a nerf, but LRB4 is obsolete anyways in RL.

BigMac

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2006 - 21:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Fama wrote:

FUMBBL uses Java Blood Bowl. JBB has not fully implemented LRB 4 correctly. In JBB, a foul costs one square of movement. In the official LRB4 (the Boardgame) it does not. You can look this up in "DifferencesFromBoardGameFAQ.txt"
Fama

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2006 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac wrote:
Fama wrote:

FUMBBL uses Java Blood Bowl. JBB has not fully implemented LRB 4 correctly. In JBB, a foul costs one square of movement. In the official LRB4 (the Boardgame) it does not. You can look this up in "DifferencesFromBoardGameFAQ.txt"

Yes, but that only comes into effect if you GFI twice before you could foul. It does limit fouling range, but it's not major.

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2006 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

So, on Fumbbl, it would actually make fouleing stronger, since you could move after.

And since Fumbll is already a bit different, where do you want this applied? Your house league? Because, you know, talk to them about it....

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2006 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
So, on Fumbbl, it would actually make fouleing stronger, since you could move after.

And since Fumbll is already a bit different, where do you want this applied? Your house league? Because, you know, talk to them about it....

Since this thread is in the RL forum, I suppose BigMac meant RL BloodBowl not JavaBB.

Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2006 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Right, but does he just want to know if we like the idea? He just sort of states it. Personally, I think the accidental tweak in JBBowl is best in RL to.

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2006 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Fama wrote:
Yes, but that only comes into effect if you GFI twice before you could foul. It does limit fouling range, but it's not major.

GFI?

First of all, it is major.
Its not a tragedy, but it is a major difference.
- a good one, actually. A major difference nevertheless.

Since we all know how Blitz works, it makes sense to streamline the two imho.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2006 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

you cannot move after a gaze, a pass a hand off. So why fouling?

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2006 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:

Good Point.
Why Blitzing?

to answer your question: give and take. take one square (cost for the foul), but give continued movement. spontaneous idea.

btw is a gaze an action?
Fama

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2006 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac wrote:
Fama wrote:

GFI?

First of all, it is major.
Its not a tragedy, but it is a major difference.
- a good one, actually. A major difference nevertheless.

Since we all know how Blitz works, it makes sense to streamline the two imho.

Well, since we all know how pass, handoff and foul work, it would make sense to streamline blitz too.

Anyway, 1 square off your fouling range is not such a big deal compared to being allowed to move after fouling. I think it would rather boost fouling, not nerf.

GFI stands for go for it, in case you didn't know.

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2006 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac wrote:
sk8bcn wrote:

Good Point.
Why Blitzing?

to answer your question: give and take. take one square (cost for the foul), but give continued movement. spontaneous idea.

btw is a gaze an action?

Gaze is taken at the end of a move action.