23 coaches online • Server time: 02:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post need some practicegoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
should there be some kind of challenge system installed
yes, elves should sometimes be smashed
43%
 43%  [ 37 ]
no, wimpy teams should only play who they chose
56%
 56%  [ 49 ]
Total Votes : 86

shlominus

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 18:50 Reply with quote Back to top

after almost a week of trying to find an opponent i realised that some coaches will never, ever play against my chaos dwarf team.

ok, i admit, i have 2 dirty players on the roster.

so what? do i foul whenever i get the chance? no. ask my opponents, noone will tell you i foul needlessly. i try to take out opposing key-players, but what´s wrong with that? it´s part of the game. egmeoy takes care of excessive fouling easely.

after being rejected by full roster, +50 tr teams, i believe the time has come to ask for a challenge system. i don´t like to play down, actually, so far i played up 3 times, while playing down only once. it´s just a fact that some people won´t play teams that are tougher than they are, dp or not. that´s just not right, why should elves or skaven only play those that suit them? some people are brave and play even when they are clearly outmatched. some, mostly the ones higher up in the standings, are not.

therefore i start this poll to see if people see this as a problem or if most are satisfied with the status quo.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the answers for the poll could be slightly altered to say:
Yes, people who pop in occasionally without having time to play a full match should be forced to concede game.
No, people who pop in occasionally without having time to play a full match should not be penalized for saying 'hi' or trying to help someone out.

Just another way of looking at the repercussions...
It really does suck that no one wants to play you. Really. But no one here is on the same schedule as people at a tournament.

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 19:01
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

If you provide me with a challenge system that works without forcing people to log on every so often I'd be happy to implement it.

The thing is, If you challenge someone.. How do you make sure that person gets the challenge or is in your timezone available to play when you are?

A challenge system has the same problems a scheduled league does.

-- Christer
shlominus

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 19:18 Reply with quote Back to top

people can play any opponent at any time they wish. just the way it is now.

but, when 2 players are both online (fumbbl homepage and chat), one can issue a challenge to the other, both in the chat(witnesses Very Happy ) and in the team-overview. there need to be some tr-limits, lets say about 30 points (maybe even 10 points, as there is no penalty table), so you cannot challenge teams rated much lower than yourself, but challenging up should always be allowed.

the challenged player can accept the challenge and a normal game is played. should he decline, he is penalized in some way (maybe the game counts as a forfeit for him). should he log off, he loses. should he not react, the fact should be made public in the forum. a player ignoring challenges will be banned. Smile

i´m sure the programming bitz will be easy for you. Wink
Christer

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 19:24
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

That would make it a bad thing to log on to the chat just to see what's going on. This ofcourse is not something I want to happen.

You'll be happy to know that we are discussing ways to implement a more structured format. I don't have any details at this point though.

-- Christer
shlominus

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
That would make it a bad thing to log on to the chat just to see what's going on

didn´t think of that. i just made something up quickly. Embarassed

Quote:
You'll be happy to know that we are discussing ways to implement a more structured format.

you bet i am. Very Happy
GalaxyPenguin

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I dont like being forced into anything, or forcing anyone into anything for that matter.

I can see why people don't play dwarves, and frankly, you should consider that when you choose to coach a dwarven team, IMHO...
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Challenge would be a bad thing
I would get an uber dwarf team, then go challenging all the little 100 teams....where would the fun in that be

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I can see why people don't play dwarves, and frankly, you should consider that when you choose to coach a dwarven team, IMHO...

lol, you should consider that you won´t be able to play once you get a few skills? anyway, even dwarves can get games. i just played moxy´s dwarves, he was 100 tr above me (about 20 of those points were money). what happened to my team? i got 1 point of fanfactor. no lasting injureis, no nothing. doh.

Quote:
I would get an uber dwarf team, then go challenging all the little 100 teams....where would the fun in that be

Quote:
there need to be some tr-limits, lets say about 30 points (maybe even 10 points, as there is no penalty table),

you are right. that would not be fun at all. i never intended that anyway. Cool
Colin

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I've just thought of a workable challenge system:

A coach logs on and 'declares' he is ready to play (with a certain team or teams). The first coach to accept the declaration plays him, within certain TR limits. If outside this TR limit, then the lower TR coach can back out with no loss of face. Perhaps you could have some way of distinguishing 'declared' coaches from others in the chat room.

Last edited by Colin on %b %04, %2003 - %23:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Colin

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

In the event of more than one coach accepting, either the declared coach can choose an opponent, or the coaches can work it out amongst themselves; I'm not to sure about this, so any other suggestions for resolving this would be appreciated.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2003 - 02:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I was thinking along the same lines, either a way to tell which players are open to play, or 2 chat rooms, one for challengeable players and one for people just checking in and talking.
donkeystyle

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2003 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

or how about a distinction between casual players and people who sign up for structured leagues complete with championships and what not? Thats the only downfall to the current system IMO. No leagues or seasons or championships takes a fun element out of BB.
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2003 - 02:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought the whole purpose of the fummbl league was to play when and who you wanted with no obligations whatsoever. A challenge system seems to be contrary to the very conception of this league.

I do however like the suggestion to implement a casual and structured league within the site, but I'm sure none of this will be possible until all the coaches the use and play on this site get off their butts and donate for a new server.

~Nightbird
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2003 - 02:27 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem with a structured league is more one of scheduling. We have people here from pretty much every time zone, so setting anything up where certain people have to meet at certain times gets tricky. Any suggestions of how best to get around this are welcome.

The Finishing Touch
 Jump to: