26 coaches online • Server time: 01:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Uploading player portraits: Easy or Hard?
Easy / Takes no time at all
42%
 42%  [ 27 ]
So so / Doesn't take up much time
17%
 17%  [ 11 ]
Hard / Takes ages
21%
 21%  [ 14 ]
Never tried
12%
 12%  [ 8 ]
The Liberal Democrat option - ie voted, but there was no point!
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 64

Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2012 - 08:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I use this site once I've an image I want; http://images.my-addr.com/resize_jpg_online_tool-free_jpeg_resizer_for_web.php.

Seems to do the job for me easily enough.
Daudy

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2012 - 09:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Play lizards and go to the public gallery.

Best player portraits ever!

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2012 - 11:04 Reply with quote Back to top

The 30K limit is arbitrary from an FFB point of view. So it must be site reasons or it's just an old and forgotten thingy. There is no reason in the code to have such a limit. The size restriction is valid, of course (FFB downsizes images that are too large - which might be ugly).
krytie

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2012 - 11:38 Reply with quote Back to top

When I joined FUMBBL the pic limit was 10kb for a 114x177 pixel pic, which was on occasion a bit of a struggle, but this luxurious new 30kb for an even smaller picture is just ridiculously easy. Even now most of my jpg/gif portraits are 4-8kb.
I even used crappy old MS Paint for most of them, although have started using GIMP as well to allow for better editing (not relating to the sizing issue).

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2012 - 11:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Wotfudboy wrote:
But yes, it's point 5 that is the pain... and I've just used MS Paint... still needs to work out if changing percentage or pixel size gets the image below 30KB... does paint.net or Gimp allow you to do this much easier within the software?, and if so, how?

Paint is not so bad for this as you can change both axes by a %. A bit annoying if you mistakenly make it slightly too large. But yes some autoresize thing in FUMBBL would be awesome.
FUMBBL player image limit is 200x200 I recall.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2012 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

IrfanView and PhotoFiltre (yes, it's "re" not "er" since originally French) are both nice programs to do the job. GIMP can be a bit confusing if you're not used to it yet (at least it is for me).

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2012 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

PGoo's link is great.

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2012 - 12:29
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

One tip for saving PNG files is to make sure you use the "Save for Web" feature if you have it (I'm personally using Photoshop Elements). This results in a smaller file than a normal save because it excludes things like colour profile information.
Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2012 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
One tip for saving PNG files is to make sure you use the "Save for Web" feature if you have it (I'm personally using Photoshop Elements). This results in a smaller file than a normal save because it excludes things like colour profile information.

Well, I'm delighted to say that my laptop has Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0. The great thing I found (as well as the tip mentioned above to Save for Web) is that it not just gives you the chance to alter the % or pixels, but also, most importantly, shows you the KB size of the image after you have made the change (ie instead of having to save it and switch to windows explorer/details to see the resulting file size.

Thanks for the help everyone, but still interested to hear how you all do this, because it sounds to me like people have lots of different ways of doing this.
Neuroosi

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2012 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

It's easy peasy..
I use Photoshop too but I think there is plenty of other free programs which can do the same thing (inc. layers, text and so on). I have these saved player portraits and team images on PSD-file which have some text etc. layers so they can be modified easilly for any kind of team/player.

So what I do.
1. Search pic from computer or google and open it in photoshop.
2. Resize it that it looks "good" on the player portrait
3. Change the text & make some other adjustments or so
4. Save the thing in JPG and change the image quality so it fits to FUMBBL limit

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2012 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

naaa I just can't do it. It's just too hard.

here is the image Image

when I try to get the image size below 30kb the image quality is just too poor, or the transparency doesn't work properly.

Using all the tips on these pages I got the image size down to about 34kb any lower and the image quality is too badly effected.
Neuroosi

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2012 - 09:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion, Are you using PS?
If you are, choose 5 or 6 from it image quality and save the thing in JPG (you can also choose some other format but JPG usually can handle low quality quite well).
If you want to keep the transparency use GIF. The file size is now 14kb
Here..

Edit: The quality is ok to me? And it looks almost the same as the PNG-file you used.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2012 - 09:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I use adobe ps. I can't use jpg as you lose transparency. When I changed it to gif the picture looks alot more pixelated. Though I can't see yours yet.
Neuroosi

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2012 - 09:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Huh.. Thats strange.. Perhaps you pack the GIF-file differently. Or do you use what PS offers? Try changeing them, it might help.
I used the settings PS offered. Palette: Selective (local) if you choose Web then it might get pixelated a bit.

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2012 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I can see yours now, the problem is it doesn't handle the transparency very well. Also the parchment looks very rough around the edges. Though it will probably have to do as I can't get a PNG under 30kb
 Jump to: