33 coaches online • Server time: 00:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Uploading player portraits: Easy or Hard?
Easy / Takes no time at all
42%
 42%  [ 27 ]
So so / Doesn't take up much time
17%
 17%  [ 11 ]
Hard / Takes ages
21%
 21%  [ 14 ]
Never tried
12%
 12%  [ 8 ]
The Liberal Democrat option - ie voted, but there was no point!
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 64

Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2012 - 14:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
I can see yours now, the problem is it doesn't handle the transparency very well. Also the parchment looks very rough around the edges. Though it will probably have to do as I can't get a PNG under 30kb

You mean the 'alpha channel' and not just transparency. Gif doesn't have an alpha channel, its transparency is just another color value (there's no gradual transparency). The alpha channel is usually 8-bit per pixel (256 levels of transparency). Note: All the pixels in the image with an alpha-channel have an alpha value, not just the transparent ones.
In short, accept the shoddy gif transparency, or skip the transparency entirely if you want it under 10k

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2012 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

What about this?

EDIT: That's about 11.1KB
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2012 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Daudy wrote:
What about this?

Best solution so far. correct me if I'm wrong, but you changed the image to indexed color (à la gif), and made the shadow gray?

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2012 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

It doesn't need to be under 10 shraag it can be up to 30
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2012 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
It doesn't need to be under 10 shraag it can be up to 30

Then someone needs to change the wiki:
https://fumbbl.com/help:images

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2012 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Never seen that page before. I'll update it later.
Daudy

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2012 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Shraaaag wrote:
Daudy wrote:
What about this?

Best solution so far. correct me if I'm wrong, but you changed the image to indexed color (à la gif), and made the shadow gray?

You're on the right track. All I did was re-save it as an 8 bit PNG and set a low transparency threshold.

24 bit and obviously 32 bit PNG caused the image to be too large in size. I figured you could get away with 8bit due to a small picture size (so to the eye it still looks ok). Setting too high a transparency threshold will create those hard edges we don't want by turning too many colours opaque.

On paper the 8 bit PNG is a lot like a GIF (256 colours), but DOES sort of have access to alpha transparency which is what we want. Someone more skilled with better programs could probably whip something up that looks nice and is still small in file size thanks to 8 bit PNG.
krysskroz

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2012 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe I am just spoiled by having Adobe CS4. In Photoshop it is 1 function and done if you save it as .jpg then there is a slider to let you raise or lower the file size to quality ratio. I can do a whole team of 16 in about 5 minutes.

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2012 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

You are missing the point, we can all do it in jpeg easily. The problem is when you try and create player pictures using the background all the existing portraits use, because you can only save them as PNG so the transparency works. This makes it incredibly hard to get lower than 30kb.

The reason I am so interested in how to get it lower than 30 with png is because I am doing the stunty leeg portraits and I have finished them all but they are all around 36kb
krysskroz

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2012 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I have been saving my transparent backgrounds as gifs and they have been staying below the mark as well.

Can you send me the background and one of the player pics w/o the background, and I will see what I can do
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2012 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I can also do it with gif, but the quality isn't the same, it needs to be png so the transparency works properly.

There is a player portrait on the previous page. I don't have them separate anymore.

edit: ah ha. I have just checked a bunch of the existing player portraits and many of them are over 40kb, so I guess Christer will allow them if they are for the official payer portraits as he will be uploading them?

Though it would be nice to be able to load up to 40kb so we could create our own portraits of the same standard.

Or maybe if it only allowed up to 40kb for png and nothing else.
Daudy

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2012 - 03:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
I can also do it with gif, but the quality isn't the same, it needs to be png so the transparency works properly.

There is a player portrait on the previous page. I don't have them separate anymore.

edit: ah ha. I have just checked a bunch of the existing player portraits and many of them are over 40kb, so I guess Christer will allow them if they are for the official payer portraits as he will be uploading them?

Though it would be nice to be able to load up to 40kb so we could create our own portraits of the same standard.

Or maybe if it only allowed up to 40kb for png and nothing else.

If you can't get the exception, check out my attempt above (8 bit PNG). If that's acceptable (or the best fit), then I'll be happy to convert all portraits for you into the same format. Takes no time at all, and the file size tops out at around 11KB.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2012 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers for offering but I can also reach that standard with ps. I think I will be okay though, as I said the official portraits are a higher quality so I guess these will be allowed in stunty leeg.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2012 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I have some pictures pre-uploaded that I used for a previous team. When I tried to use them again it said they were too big?!
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2012 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Less than 200 x 200 pixels?