42 coaches online • Server time: 16:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
peikko

Post   Posted: May 19, 2006 - 09:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Snorri wrote:
Shouldn't need to if you're starting out though. Firefox has always been ok with it,

Starting from web page aint option for example when youre using custom/private proxy server.
Snorri

Post   Posted: May 19, 2006 - 10:02 Reply with quote Back to top

peikko wrote:
Snorri wrote:
Shouldn't need to if you're starting out though. Firefox has always been ok with it,

Starting from web page aint option for example when youre using custom/private proxy server.

Most people dont use or will ever use a private proxy server though and there's nothing wrong with someone starting from the web page if they want to. Ive got no problems helping them out with it if thats what they want to do.
Jef

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2006 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi!

I'm a new Linux user, i'm currenlty running a kubuntu 6.6. And I have some problems to run java bowl here. I have installed the latest jvm from sun web page, but when I type java -jar Bbowl.jar at java directory i see this message:

Exception in thread "main" java.awt.AWTError: Cannot load AWT toolkit: gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit
at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(libgcj.so.7)
at java.awt.Font.tk(libgcj.so.7)
at java.awt.Font.getPeerFromToolkit(libgcj.so.7)
at java.awt.Font.<init>(libgcj.so.7)
at javax.swing.plaf.FontUIResource.<init>(libgcj.so.7)
at javax.swing.plaf.metal.DefaultMetalTheme.<clinit>(libgcj.so.7)
at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.7)
at javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel.createDefaultTheme(libgcj.so.7)
at javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel.<init>(libgcj.so.7)
at javax.swing.UIManager.<clinit>(libgcj.so.7)
at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.7)
at bbowl.Bbowl.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit
at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.7)
at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.7)
at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(libgcj.so.7)
...11 more

I dunno if I need some package or something. I have searched the web, but I cannot find anything.

Please help me!.

Thanks for reading me!
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2006 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

make sure your CLASSPATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables are set correctly, though i guess it is the CLASSPATH that is not pointing to the correct directory

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2006 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry me, but I dunno how to do this, I mean. I should do
>set CLASSPATH=classpath1;

But, what I am supposed to type in classpath1?
Jef

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2006 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm running Java Bowl now!

If anyone has the problem I had, then he should type:
$sudo update-alternatives --config java
Then select the java version you want to run.
The problem is Kubuntu have a own version of java, after download and install the official Java for Sun website, you should type the command above to switch from Kubuntu java to Sun java.

I hope this can help someone to run javabowl under Kubuntu!
Snorri

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2006 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

You might have some network connection dropouts if you've got the latest java (1.5.0). Happens sometimes, but not too often. Installing 1.4.2 gets around that (wish ski would move on with it at some stage!) and you can have that running alongside your 1.5.0 version. Just use the update-alternatives to switch back and forth.
Jef

Post   Posted: Jun 08, 2006 - 02:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I have also noticed i must play the game as root, do you know why could be this?

I have experienced no network problems yet, but thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Jef on %b %08, %2006 - %10:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
Snorri

Post   Posted: Jun 08, 2006 - 04:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Means your user hasn't got his java configured yet - paths haven't been set. I'm not sure how it works on Ubuntu. Perhaps try running update alternatives as the normal user rather than sudo. Check the Ubuntu wiki on it.
hunter

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2006 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I recently started using Ubuntu Linux, so I'm rather new at this. I can get the client to work by typing in commands from the terminal, but that is tedious... I'd like to make a launcher (the linux name for a shortcut).

The path to the file is: neuron/ Blood Bowl/ Bbowl.jar. I can get this to work in the terminal by typing the following (it starts in folder neuron, which is my home folder):
cd Blood\ Bowl
java -jar Bbowl.jar

What should the path for the launcher be? I can't get it to work with the following: neuron/Blood\ Bowl/java\ -jar\ Bbowl.jar and it tells me that no such file exists. Note that the forward slashes are needed in front of spaces, I believe. But it doesn't work without them, either.

Any help is appreciated!

Regards,
~hunter

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2006 - 05:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
neuron/Blood\ Bowl/java\ -jar\ Bbowl.jar

That's telling it to run the 'java' binary in ./neuron/Blood\ Bowl/ and there isn't any java binary there Wink It's on your system somewhere else. Likely you need something like 'java -jar /home/neuron/Blood\ Bowl/Bbowl.jar'

Im using a different desktop with nothing like a launcher and I'm not exactly sure what you're launcher is like, but I find the easiest way to get something going is just to write a bash script for it and feed that to your launcher/eap/whatever.

To make the bash script, just copy the following into a new text file.

#!/bin/bash
cd /home/neuron/Blood\ Bowl/
java -jar ./Bbowl.jar

You can call the text file whatever you like (no extension necessary). Make it into an executable with 'chmod 755 <name of file>'. Then just direct your launcher to that file. e.g. if you call it simply 'bbowl' and it is in /home/neuron/Blood\ Bowl/, then you would just call '/home/neuron/Blood\ Bowl/bbowl'
hunter

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2006 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the help, Snorri- it works!

I made a launcher with the command 'java -jar /home/neuron/Blood\ Bowl/Bbowl.jar' but kept getting the splash screen error. Curiously, the program ran fine when I either went through the terminal or started it from the web (via the Play link on my home page or spectate links from the games page). But, I couldn't start it up for standalone. My guess is that I simply have more to learn about linux. Smile

Regards,
~hunter

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2006 - 05:45 Reply with quote Back to top

That problem happens with quite a few third party apps. They're not integrated into the distro properly (like repository .rpm's for fedora or ebuilds for my gentoo) and the app isn't clever enough on its own to figure out where all its data files are. Writing a script which takes you to the app before running it usually fixes the problem.
hugoeng

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2007 - 10:48 Reply with quote Back to top

thanks for the help Snorri! Now my ubuntu javabowl finally works.. havent played on fumbbl yet though Wink
MickeX

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2007 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks a lot everyone! I ran into the same problems as some of you.

I just started Ubuntu as my first step into Linux. I can warmly recommend it to anyone, it's been far easier installing Ubuntu from scratch than it's usually been to get a pre-installed Windows PC to the point where everything works the way you want it.
 Jump to: