23 coaches online • Server time: 01:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is everquest worth the money?
Yes, Everquest is a cracking game!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, its a crock of s**t!
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
So so!
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
MMMmmmm....Pie! Yes i like pie!
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 17

LUCiD|uk.

Post 22 Posted: May 11, 2006 - 07:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there, im thinking about buying Everquest 2 and just wanted to know if anyones ever played it. Is it any good? Is it worth the subscription fee? What type of character class do you play? Whats great? Whats not? and whats better or worse than the other MMORPG's out there?

All advice welcome.
Brad

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 08:08 Reply with quote Back to top

If you're in for the long haul, with big emphasis on Character Development - Go for EQ2
If you just want a quick bash after work for an hour or two, with accelerated Character Development but nowhere to go after you get to the top end - Go for WoW

I have a Paladin (main) on both (one thru a mates account as I refuse to subscribe to both) but find myself plaing WoW a lot more often, as I have a lot less free time now than when I subscribed.

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

If you like grinding, grinding, grinding and oh, i forgot grinding play EQ2. If you're going for a class i'd prefer Brigand..

Join the blackburrow server, tons of drama going on Smile say hello from Durk and no one will talk to you Razz

Nah- EQ2 is a time stealer, PLAY SOME BLOOD BOWL
peikko

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 09:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Bought the game, paid one month play time and then canceled it because found out that in that month (after free period) I played only 3-4 times.
Mostly got so bored to "pigeon hunting" that goes on with most MMORPGs.

In other hand, my heart in MMORPG world belongs to City of Villains, which is pretty much different kind game in many aspects.
LUCiD|uk.

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the info guys, but can i have some more responses stop voting and not postingt some meaty answers, thanks again.
Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Having played both EQ, EQ2, WoW, Dark Age of Camelot and a little of D&D online, I would choose World of Warcraft over the others, that is until Warhammer Online appears. The above responses are good, and I don't think you need much more.

EQ2 (or was when I cancelled a while ago) is all PvE and seemed a lot of a grind, although there were nice touches. WoW has both PvE and PvP, although many, myself included, don't like the PvP part of the game... games like DAoC far surpass it. I haven't played City of Heroes or Villains, but I hear it is a good laugh.

However, as you will no doubt observe, all these games come down to personal taste. If nothing else, there will be more people playing WoW than the others mainly as it is the lastest and greatest MMORPG out there, so you will more likely get groups and make friends. The others are probably past their prime.

I voted so-so... it's not terrible, but it's no WoW.

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Basic business profile of an mmo:

A developer of an mmo will divide players into two main groups - lets call them content and contest.

Content players are there to delve into the world, follow plotlines, explore and so on.

Contest players are there for pvp.

The second group is where the money is. To gain the advantage in pvp - or even to just own a cooler sword than the next guy on a pve server - people will submit to enormous amounts of grinding.

Remember - no one makes an mmo to entertain people. They make the games to earn money. Thus, anything they invest manpower in will be linked to the surplus it generates on the bottom line. The math gets rather heavy at the end, and my language skills fall short of explaining it - but basically: You make money on both content and contest players, but at a different rate. Hence it makes sense to develop expansions based on that - if 70% of profits come from contest players, you develop 70% in-game content and updates for this section of players.

A good, loyal content player can be expected to remain with the game until he or she has uncovered some significant portion of all content. By content I mean everything in the gameworld, including pvp and such. Then that player will likely quit - or possible become a contest player, which would be the goal.

Contest players will theoretically remain with the game indefinitely. Keep making bigger swords and tougher armors, better wands and staffs, and the contest players will grind for those items forever. Naturally, even Blizzard can't keep people addicted forever - graphics have already evolved way beyond WoW standards, for instance.

But the important thing to remember is this: It is all about money. If you really want to pvp - then maybe you're better off with BF2? If you really want content, maybe you're better off with a singleplayer game? If you really want mmo - well, I'd recommend WoW over Everquest, simply because it is a far greater succes. They make more money, hence they are better.

Personally, my 60 druid will soon be retiring.
 Jump to: