38 coaches online • Server time: 10:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2007 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=stats&op=coaches

:p.

So no, not 900 coaches active in ranked, not quite 850 all over the page, withing 24 hours. Those stats don't split it up further, but well ... if the page does keep stats on that it might be possible to figure out how many of these were active in ranked?

Given that 720 games where played yesterday across the page the average number of games should be something around *cough* per coach for the page in general.

I don't think the same amount of traffic as in ranked is required for this to work, but I guess that's obvious. The deciding factor is that the "waiting for a match" time is on a comparable level, however.

-Mnemon
pac

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2007 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon wrote:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=stats&op=coaches

:p.

Why have I never checked that tab? Laughing

We're making progress with this, anyway. Smile
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2007 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=stats&op=cpu&year=2007&month=2&day=27

Spread of games over a day (yesterday) among other stuff (not split up per division).

-Mnemon
Markus

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2007 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=stats&op=cpu

could help for making up the game distribution over the day.

Edit: Mnemon was faster Sad.

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2007 - 19:57
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Here we have some statistics from February 27th, 2007:

Code:

Games           Coaches       Matches  time/game    avg wait
        Num  Pct(%)      Num  Pct(%)  per coach   (minutes)  (minutes)
Total   737    100%      690    100        2.14        1.9           1

Ranked  424     58%      426     62        1.99        3.4           2
League  201     27%      256     37        1.57        7.2           4
Stunty   47      6%       59      9        1.59       30.6          15
Academy  24      3%       37      5        1.30       60.0          30
Faction  17      2%       25      4        1.36       84.7          42

Note that the total coaches is not the sum of the coaches in each div, since some coaches played in more than one division.

Matches per coach = 2*matches/coaches
time/game = 1440/games
avg wait = time/game/2

Now, you were looking for 15 minutes waiting time, which is what we seem to have in Stunty at the moment. Looking at the table, that means around 60 coaches playing one game per day.

Now, even if the table seems to suggest that coaches play 2 matches per day, that doesn't mean the average number of games per day is 2. This is because it's likely that if you actually do take the time to play the first game, you're much more likely to have time for a second one on the same day.

Some very quick estimation:

We see around 5000 matches per week, and coach stats indicate that we have around 1600 coaches who play in a given 7 day period. (5000/1600)/7 gives us around 0.45 games per day for our active coaches.

The same calculation over a month gives around 0.3.

So, we make some assumptions here:

Coaches play 0.4 games per day.
A coach will play let's say 20% of their matches in this division.

Our target, from before, was 60 coaches playing one game per day, so we get:

60 = N * 0.4 * 0.2
which gives us
N = 60 / (0.4 * 0.2) = 750

This means 750 coaches who intend to spend 20% of their gaming time in this particular division. Quite high, but remember that we're working with an average coach.

If we instead use "hardcore" coaches who intend to do lobbying and work hard to get the division going:
Our target is still 60 coaches playing one game per day

But, instead we assume that they play 2 games per day (being hardcore) and devote 50% of their time to this new division:

60 = N * 2 * 0.5
which gives
N = 60 / (2 * 0.5) = 60

So that's 60 people, who spend a month playing one match per day in the division to get it going and "kill" the catch 22 problem (ie, noone plays there, so I won't move my teams there).

Given the fact that these 60 won't be alone in the division, I'm guessing that if you find 35-40 people willing to devote themselves to playing one match per day in the division, things would kick off soon enough. And also remember that it's likely that your team of lobbyists will likely play more than one game per day in the division of choice, it'll be reduced even more. 20 people who focus on it for a month should be enough.

Some tips on how to increase popularity:
- Advertise. Keep people talking about the division. Makes people curious, and they'll start a team
- Make a number of new teams, so that you can cater for the influx of new people. You need to show the new coaches that the division isn't dead.
- Keep the channel alive with discussion. Make people add it to their login scripts, and show them it's a nice, friendly and fun place.
- Avoid killer teams ridden with DP/claw/etc to begin with. You need to get people to build their teams, so they feel the team is important to them, and interesting to play. When you have a more solid player base, you can introduce the killers Smile
- Try to involve more people into your cause, making them try to play more in the division of your choice.

There.. Long post, with some real numbers, some speculation and some ideas! Hope you enjoyed it! Smile
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2007 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
There.. Long post, with some real numbers, some speculation and some ideas! Hope you enjoyed it! Smile

Great.. Now when can I transfer my "fun" teams from Rank? Wink
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 06:36 Reply with quote Back to top

great....now give me awards in unranked, so i can continue my award hunting, and maybe i'll consider being content....

--j

ImageImage
prophane

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 06:43 Reply with quote Back to top

you can count me as a NO for your calculations.
i wont be switching any of my L teams over to U because i want them to be able to continue playing off and on in tournaments.
I currently have NO R teams, nor will I ever have any in the future.

sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Bah everyone calculated already. So I will just comment:

I moved 1 team to U and possibly will move a second one. I will lfg there at the same time I lfg for ranked but possibly either S and U. I won't lfg for L (what I didn't before either unless I really needed a recovery).

I'd like all 3 divisions to work well. I'll give a little contribution (well I'm just a casual R player anyway).

I think the overall plan R (turn limit) / L / U is a good move after all and I will stop voicing against the turn limit.

I, though, fear that the casual players won't make the move and won't play it like they should.

That's all