56 coaches online • Server time: 17:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Haunted

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2008 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, what really did it for me was the heroics of the whole thing. A single 'fling saying to heck with it and giving a Big Mean Troll the business out of nowhere. It was just a really really cool moment to have witnessed first hand. In my opinion that halfling should get a medal Smile.

While people are talking about the exact chances of the event, and what exactly we should count in determining that, suffice to say it was VERY long odds for a VERY cool outcome. I had never heard of anything similar to this happening until afk_eagle posted about his legendary gutter runner. Now THAT is also a really cool story. Good thing he didn't die RIGHT afterwards though. Smile

P.S. The best part was that I didn't even manage to kill one of his big guys, and that fling comes out of nowhere and shows me up Smile.
def909

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2008 - 10:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I once killed a Troll in stunty on a -3db (with failed apo too iirc)... What makes this kill my all-time favourite is that I wrote "Die, Troll!" just before I blocked him. I don´t remember if I won, but afer that block I didn´t care anymore Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2008 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
I don't think pow/skulls should count, unless the fling was a block one.
After all, part of the coolness comes from the fling knocking down a BG without hurting himself in the process. Both down wouldn't be as neat... more of a kamikaze thing.

hm, what I wanted to post..

And honestly: A team with that bio/idea should not hire a Troll. A Troll! Is there any dumber Big Guy??
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2008 - 11:26 Reply with quote Back to top

well the chance for exactly three points might be 1/6^3 but its kinda pointless to calculate it that way since the chance to get exactly first dice pushback send dice skull and third dice pow! is exactly the same chance... just a random example...

to take pow/skull into account is kinda silly too, since this a much worse result as a pow because it causes a tournover....

the pow! result finally is the only result that has a compareable effect and it would be the logical choice to put it into account on that example too because it otherwise wouldnt fit anymore... the gobbo doesnt need 3 pows to knock someone big....

so first step is correctly 1/3^3

in the next you could calculate what is exactly the chance for a 12 or a 10 to roll on armor but that would be kinda pointless too so we calculate here chance for > 9 wich is exactly 1/6

chance to cause a cas is 1/6 too (1/36 (12)+2/36(11)+3/36(10) )

chance to kill someone on a cas is 1/6

chance to not regen is 1/2

chance to not apo is 1/6

so we multyply all this stuff to get the real chance and we get...

(1/3^3)*(1/6^4)*(1/2)

ie... 1/69984 ....its as we see quite possible once in a while...
Arnobo

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2008 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

(triple pow)*(armor roll)*(death)*(regenerate)*(apo) :
(1/6)^3*(6/36)*(1/36)*(1/2)*(1/6) = 1/559872 !

Arnobo
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2008 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

BiggieB wrote:
am I the only one bothered that he played a rookie fling team 35 st down?

Is it anyone else's business?

the opponent has played more than 600 games. Sure doesn't look like noob bashing.

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2008 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Arnobo wrote:
(triple pow)*(armor roll)*(death)*(regenerate)*(apo) :
(1/6)^3*(6/36)*(1/36)*(1/2)*(1/6) = 1/559872 !

Arnobo

we should keep that scenario in mind for the time a gobbo actually tries to kill the count....

....but haunted really ... how did you get to 2,5 million to 1? ....arnobos calculation might be silly but is at least correct Smile
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2008 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm seeing some peculiar maths here.... I'll just sit back and watch the bumbling, its easier than working it out myself... which is easier than figuring out what crazy mistakes people made and who made them... and I should be learning in a lecture right now... man I'm lazy Very Happy

Grats Haunted, you seem to be blessed with hilarious happenings Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2008 - 12:25 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
BiggieB wrote:
am I the only one bothered that he played a rookie fling team 35 st down?

Is it anyone else's business?

the opponent has played more than 600 games. Sure doesn't look like noob bashing.

Yup, you need to take account of the games they've generally been taking. I havent checked but I do know the two games I played against him were balanced, one was maybe even in my favour (ignoring CR). I also lost both but they were cool fun.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Haunted

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2008 - 12:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, a couple of things have come up that i'd like to address Smile

First of all, I have a big guy on the team so that he can die Smile He's there for you to kill. And then I'll congratulate you for killing him Smile Plus it's just really funny to me to have a big troll named Albert Einstein or William Shakespeare. I'm trying to have fun with the team, and that is pretty fun.

Second of all, my first match where I played high elves was a mistake. I was supposed to play the guy's orc team, but he loaded the wrong team, and at that point my understanding was we were locked into the match Sad. I was not happy, to say the least. But what can you do? Since then I've been told that I technically could have quit, but I'm new, so cut me some slack.

Third, some people have been saying that Intelligentsia has been cherry picking. Nothing could be further from the truth. Almost every game I've got with them has been because I:

1) Joined general chat.
2) Announced boldly, "I HATE BIG GUYS. WHO WANTS TO HAVE THEIR BIG GUY DIE?"
3) Wait for someone to say, "Heh heh, I'LL play you Haunted."
4) I check to see if they have a big guy. I do NOT check how good the team is. All I care about is if there is a big sack of meat to kill.

So that's it. I don't find the weakest team I can and then pounce on it. I have regularly sent out open challenges, and these are the teams that responded. The coaches of the teams are not novices, they know what they are doing-- and let me tell you, some of those matches were NOT cherries in the slightest.

Finally, as far as my math is concerned... I have no idea how I went wrong apparently. But I will say that I thought trolls had 10 armor when they have 9, and I was counting the probability of three straight pow, not including pow! But other than that I don't know. Basically I just did the following (remember that I had the wrong armor number):

denominators: 6^3(chances of three pow) x 36 (chances of armor break and serious injury) x 6 (chance of death) x 2 (chance of no regen) x 6 (chance of apo failing).

Hence you get 1/559872. Hmm.... Ok so i messed up pretty badly there.... haha, sue me, I'm a musician! Razz
clarkin

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2008 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

at least update that dead troll's bio with the info of how he died (link to the game and give the halfling his heroic odds) Smile
Kill-Kill

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2008 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
well the chance for exactly three points might be 1/6^3 but its kinda pointless to calculate it that way since the chance to get exactly first dice pushback send dice skull and third dice pow! is exactly the same chance... just a random example...

Think about that one for a moment....

Anyway, my favorite was my rookie GR dodging into a cage to -3d surf a Chaos Warrior. Not quite as cool, but the guy didn't expect it at all...

But you made up the reasons to fight
MixX

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2008 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't care what the actual odds are, that's one cool move!
Fabrizio

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2008 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Kill-Kill wrote:
Anyway, my favorite was my rookie GR dodging into a cage to -3d surf a Chaos Warrior. Not quite as cool, but the guy didn't expect it at all...

That's not true, I totally expected it!
Expected that you'll go for it, not that you'll succeed in it that is.. Smile
Oh, now that i checked, it was a norse guy you surfed. Do you do that a lot? Wink
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2008 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, looking at the history of Sai, I also can't find the injury in question. Must've been another rat, and I just assumed looking back in memory that it was him...I've played nearly a thousand matches as skaven, so finding the actual game might be hard...

...though the legend of Sai sure sounds better if we attribute the block to him, doesn't it? Wink

Jump to: