45 coaches online • Server time: 19:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2010 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

A common strategy with werewolves seems to be to use an opening blitz to try and get an early injury.

i've noticed that often this backfires, and leaves the werewolf vulnerable, usually resulting in the werewolf ending up prone and then usually fouled upon.

Maybe a better strategy is to keep the werewolf back and wait for him to strike when he can be effective in a critical situation?

Any thoughts?
HanZzz

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2010 - 12:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I would still use the wolf for blitzing, however, I would not let him go on a solo crusade deep into the opponent's half, cause that is really asking to get fouled. I usually try to blitz away some one close to the LoS to get a chain of 2D blocks going or else I am going for some of the safeties on the side fields, cause usually that's the easiest way to launch an offense. I usually provide one or two assists (or bodyguards, if you want) in the form of a zombie or a wight behind which the wolf can retreat, once his action is over. Since the first blitz target is usually rather close, you will have enough movement to accomplish this.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2010 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Plan a wolf's turn so that it doesn't end up in a tackle zone or out ahead of the team. From the kickoff, there are 2 basic ways to do this (well, 3, but I'm ignoring "keep him safe and don't use him").

1. Blitz back towards the LOS. Attack a player on the edge of the formation. Chances are with wolves out there, he hasn't set up all the way to the sidelines. Bring up your assists and run past the player to block. Have assists adequate to give you 2db even if you push on the first. In fact, on occasion you may even take a push on the first on purpose, so you don't have to dodge with the wolf or leave it in a TZ to end its turn. This strat is often combined with gang-fouling the blitz target into next Tuesday, since you pushed it toward your entire team.

2. Line the wolf (or wolves) up on the LOS, set to block diagonally so pushes go along the LOS. Once the LOS blocks are cleared up, you advance golems or zombies to protect the wolves. This gets your wolves their blocks and attempts for early Claw cas, but doesn't make use of their speed (not that there's a law saying you have to).
Resarf

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2010 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I find that if you've got the other team out muscled (bout half the time with necros for me) you can even put a wolf or two on the line for easy blocks, on offence, push past them with a golem or zombies and presto: pocket formed (with murderous contents). On defense I agree with Hanz's blitz and retreat procedure, and I would note that the wolf doesn't have to be in the backfield to get to the backfield. Defending like this with the Necros can make stalling mighty costly for the opponent. Does anyone else only field both wolves at once when the game looks to be close?
Resarf

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2010 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

^ oye timing, damn your quick fingers maysrill
Adar

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2010 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I am sceptical about aggressivly looking for targets with Werewolves. I view them as opportunists rather than dedicated blitzers.

Example of a failed wolf blitz (double pushback, knocks himself down and then fouled off the field).
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2976516

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2010 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Taffsadar wrote:
I am sceptical about aggressivly looking for targets with Werewolves. I view them as opportunists rather than dedicated blitzers.

Example of a failed wolf blitz (double pushback, knocks himself down and then fouled off the field).
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2976516

There are a few reasons for blitzing:

1. Open a hole in the opponoent's defenses
2. Knock something down
3. Take the ball away
4. Hurt something
5. Surf something

Of those 5 items listed, werewolves do 3 of them (1, 4, 5) better than anything else on your team. On a typical team, a wight is more likely to take Tackle and Strip Ball, so I'll give 2 and 3 to them.

So, werewolves can clear more space and are much more likely to hurt or surf something. Unless you need a Tackle/SB type of blitz, they are generally your most productive blitzers. Blitz with them unless you need a particular skill against the ball carrier that they don't have, or where their frenzy makes a block unwise. The latter being the main reason not to blitz with them every time (the other reason being overexposing them to harm).
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2010 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I had a plan with my wolves, but they kept getting +ma on skill rolls (and I wasn't able to not chose it), now they are great scorers, and also enjoy picking of fast runners (elves, gutter runners, skinks etc...) who dares run past my slower defenses. I find having 2 wolves picking of any lone runners on defense is quite effective.

2 things to note: I play in a Leagues, and I play more elfy than bashy (no matter which kind of team I meet or play).

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=7066857
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=7156740
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=7373100

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2010 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been playing necros pretty exclusively in the box (the first necro team to get over 100 games in BB) and I have to say if you're not blitzing with a wolf almost every turn, your team must be, or will soon be struggling.
The only thing that necros do well is blitz, everything else they do is sub-par in comparison to other teams.
This is only because the wolf is an effective blitzer. He's fast, has damage dealing skills, and relatively easy to skill. His only downside is that he is fragile as a fabergé egg.

So yes, you should always use the wolf with your opening blitz, of course, you should bring others in for assists and protection, and try to work where the wolf will be after the blitz is made, so as he is not blitzed back the next turn.
I usually dont put the wolf on the line because I do not want his to be stuck in the in the middle with los fodder, but free and open for new opportunities to blitz.
There are always exceptions.
If the defense sets themselves back deep into their side, for example, I might put him on the line and use some more durable players for my blitz, although I also might just use him to blitz the los (to protect against a blitz or perfect defense kick off, which would suck). This will result in 1 less block, but does allow the wolf to use his claws, and get himself to safety, and help set up a better gang foul.

Another thing I've experience, is that I usually only set up 1 wolf at kick off. Mostly this is due to only having 1 wolf to work with, but even when I do have access to two dogs, I'll most likely only set up 1 for defense. This is becuase I only have 1 blitz, so my other doggie will just be standing around with a target around his neck (targets are part of the standard uniform for wolves) hoping no one touches him, and not being used to his full potential. Also if things go bad, I'll have 1 in reserve for the next kick off.

A necro team without wolfs isn't going to get much accomplished.

If I'm recieveing, I might set up 2 wolves, with the thinking that the lesser skilled one will be my ball carrier, so really standing around doing nothing, hoping no one will touch him until a t8 td is exactly what I want to happen.

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2010 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:

So, werewolves can clear more space and are much more likely to hurt or surf something. Unless you need a Tackle/SB type of blitz, they are generally your most productive blitzers. Blitz with them unless you need a particular skill against the ball carrier that they don't have, or where their frenzy makes a block unwise. The latter being the main reason not to blitz with them every time (the other reason being overexposing them to harm).

All those benefits are why you don't always want to use him at kick off. Coaches setting up their defence in Chencron or Longbow (like in the strategy guide here make their teams a very bad target for werewolves. Therefore werewolves should only be blitzing when its either safe or highly advantegous (in my world this is defined as opportunistic rather than aggressive).[/url]

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2010 - 02:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Werewolves are for killing and being killed. You can always buy more and they train easily. Live fast, die young.
MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2010 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Kenty wrote:
Werewolves are for killing and being killed. You can always buy more and they train easily. Live fast, die young.

I'm not sure this is an optimal strategy. Werewolves are the most expensive players on the team and not as easily replacable as you make out.
asharak

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2010 - 09:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I suspect after 1644 games with one necro team Kenty may be aware of this Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2010 - 10:23 Reply with quote Back to top

asharak wrote:

Laughing

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2010 - 10:33 Reply with quote Back to top

asharak wrote:

lol