31 coaches online • Server time: 10:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What should Quickbeam take next?
Dodge
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Surefeet
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Sprint
17%
 17%  [ 16 ]
Jump Up
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
Pro
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Sure Hands
10%
 10%  [ 10 ]
Fend
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Side Step
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Catch
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Block
44%
 44%  [ 41 ]
Rubarb Pie
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 93

Dunenzed

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2013 - 09:55 Reply with quote Back to top

My last skill roll was a double 5 so it was a pretty hard choice as to which way to go for that last skill.

Pro was amazing on him, but as Quickbeam the treeman can draw on team rerolls its not as important. I've not properly analyzed it but it feels like I draw on the pro reroll about 4-5 times a game.

That said I suspect it would still be pretty darn good on Quickbeam the Treeman, as an Ag2 ball carrier eats rerolls constantly, and pro gives an extra 1/2 reroll every turn. It's a safer choice, but a scoring Treeman isn't here for the safe choices.

Good luck with the big guy. Looking forward to hearing how he goes, so be sure to blog about him with updates.

Join the Human League Premiership!
f_alk

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2013 - 10:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro - is nice with the half-a-reroll after you used the regular one earlier in the turn. With all the rolls that need to be made by a tree that is a very solid choice.

Dodge - will have a nice synergy with break tackle, obviously, and with block on another double.

Sprint - should not come before Sure Feet or Pro, to have this (half-a) reroll for the third GFI. So I would take one of those before.

Jump up - works only when you are knocked over (which will happen without block or dodge, although your intrinsic strength does give some protection). On the other hand, it works nicely with "High AG" players (which he is, compared to other trees) and allows him to use his full and increased MA. This skill is probably drawing the most of his previous stat increases.

But what I would consider:
Is a change in his role in the team. I see he likes to score, but would he also throw the ball if need be? With decent move, AG2 and Strong Arm he is already heading that lane (in a sense). So, which passing skill would help him to stay flexible enough as a scorer and improve him as a passer (TTM and/or ball)? If you don't want that, ignore the following and stick with the above.
Kick off Return - while only usable at kick offs, it does give a big MA-bang on him (say compared to a Skaven thrower). Will have a nice synergy with catch if you can reach the ball - otherwise it kind of gives you an additional move and flexibility.
Pass, Accurate, NoS - all work on both passing options, although on TTMs only against fumbles. NoS also works on hand-offs to the tree. All will have a nice synergy with catch.
Safe throw - doesn't really help on TTMs
Leader, HMP, Dump-off - don't really help

For the fun: I would take Kick off return, and set him up in the center of the second line in the offense. He then can do a "motion" and throw his weight either to one flank or the other (depending on where is kick is aimed for example).
bghandras

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2013 - 10:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I really think that blitzblock helps him to advance the ball. Otherwise sure hands. No strip, soft cage is enough then, and you don't want to use team reroll on pickups most of the time, plus I expect this tree close on defense when opponent loses the ball.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2013 - 11:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Take Sprint and Nuffle will reward you with +ma next roll.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2013 - 11:21 Reply with quote Back to top

leap you fool Very Happy

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2013 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

NoS
Royston

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2013 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

A leaping tree is possibly the scariest thing ever!

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2013 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I would never take sprint without surefeet.
Surefeet seem quite good (especially if your tactic is to hand off the ball to the tree at the last moment, not a BC tree).
Otherwise for a BC tree (that did not pick the ball) i think the biggest issue is the -2 block and the inability to move forward without dodging because 2 or more players stick to you.
Dodge help in those two situations.
Of course tackle cancel dodge but for preventing you for moving 2 tackles players would be needed (otherwise you blitz the tackle player and dodge).
And for -2d blocks wrestle cancel block anyway so it's not like block is much more safe, especially since juggernault latter for your own blocking is better than block.
Also the Surefeet sprint combo may looks wonderful but as you said, even only for scoring a blodger tree may be better (unless for a no BC tree).
Otherwise i really like the frenzy idea, i could see that working very well for moving forward but these -2d block would scare me too much.
Edit : i wonder how u can score without break tackle, must be a pain and it's going to be even more painful to wait the next skill up to take it (i guess the ag 2 help a little though)

Last edited by Wizfall on %b %13, %2013 - %14:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
B_SIDE

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2013 - 14:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I kinda like the idea of making him a passer. It's hilarious, but it could totally work. Give him Hail Mary Pass, leave him alone, Standing Firm in the corner of the pitch where they can't get assists on him, and run your whole team into their end zone. Guaranteed win!
jdvmat

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2013 - 14:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, -2D block seems the main problem to me, if you play a cage game vs Stripball/Block/Wrestle then halflings won't be able to follow a M6 tree.

-2D block chance of success
Wrestle+Stripball succeed: 2/3 (+RR 8/9)
Stripball succeed vs dodge tree: 2/3 (+RR 8/9)
Stripball suceed vs block tree: 1/3 (+RR 4/9)
Wrestle/Block succeed: 1/4 (+RR 7/16 i.e ~1/2)

I think block really improves your chances of keep the ball after a -2D block
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2013 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Listening to old episodes of BothDown: The #1 BloodBowl Podcast (hosted by gingers), Kilowoggy swears up and down defending Pro on his Krox. And when you think about it... it's the only skill that has the potential to help everything you do...
Wizfall

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2013 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Jeffro wrote:
Listening to old episodes of BothDown: The #1 BloodBowl Podcast (hosted by gingers), Kilowoggy swears up and down defending Pro on his Krox. And when you think about it... it's the only skill that has the potential to help everything you do...

...but help for nothing of everything they may do against you Wink
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2013 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Passer Tree :p

I would take Sure Feet as in the game he skilled he failed a GFI to score... plug to holes as they appear :p and my other tree is upto 4 TD c'mon catch up! :p

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2013 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, lots of good posts & things to think aboot.
Thanks for all the replies, but now I'm in an even deeper hole of thought!

To be clear on how I use Quickbeam; I generally set him up on the LOS so he can blitz & move forward w/ the possibility to score in 3 turns.
And, although, I LOVE your idea on KOR f_alk, I can't see myself ever setting him up in the backfield or 2nd line to receive the ball. Seeing as though I use him mostly to blitz, Juggernaut is in the plans which is why I don't intend to take block unless, of course, a second double is rolled.

So atm this leaves me with:
1.Dodge
2.Pro
3.Frenzy
4.Jump Up

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2013 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Nightbird wrote:
C3I2 wrote:
So, Pro is out then? Not sure why he got that agility+, care to explain? And before somebody says the obvious, Block!!!

Ok, I'll quote myself:

Nightbird wrote:
Now this Tree likes to score

If he likes to score he should take Surehands.

Jeffro
 Jump to: