19 coaches online • Server time: 05:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Roseph

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2009 - 05:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello Fumbbl. I have been thinking for awhile now on something to help out new people on the site. So with that in mind I am in the process of putting together Ro's Academy of Blood Bowl. I want to pass on what was taught to me by coaches on the site. What I need and would like is coaches that are willing and able to help new guys learn how to play. I would like to see people willing to teach tactics, do write ups on races and play games vs people that want to learn. So if you are interested or have suggestions on what you would like to see in the Academy please post them here or pm me. If your interested in helping let me know.
Ro
Jemy

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2009 - 07:08 Reply with quote Back to top

That is a very good idea. Im am a rather new coach myself but have the basic tactics of most teams down. I offer what limited experience I have. Perhaps just as a friendly opponent for the first academy game and some basic tactics to get new players started. Doubt that I will be any good for advanced tactics.

/Jemy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM-Lnw-Rjl0&feature=related

Hell has no fury like a woman scorned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CXtBulwA2c
Roseph

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2009 - 08:38 Reply with quote Back to top

What I am currently working on is putting together information for new coaches on one page so they can just click the links to important stuff right away. The group will span all divisions as I am going to do advanced tactics and team management etc so it will apply to more than just new coaches.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=6639
Greedy

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2009 - 10:29
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Nice initiative Ro.

On the technical side, you probably want to mention that the users shouldn't use the newest version of the Java.
(just my two cents before I have gotten any coffee in the system)

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2009 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I know Colin set up a similar group at one stage, but I think that was more focussed on organising helpers rather than making it a group for newbies to join and learn directly. It might be an idea to see how many of the people in that group are still interested in helping out.

Personally, I still hang out in #fumbblacademy, and whenever my attention has wandered back to IRC, I tend to check it a fair bit. I've recently been pretty distracted (by Discworld MUD), but still try to help out when I have time spare. Smile

I think it might be a good idea to have a link to LRB 4. I know it's easy to find on the webpage anyway, but I think that could help with a lot of problems outside the client itself. Perhaps having a page dedicated to setting up the client for the first time, and connecting/serving games, with pretty pictures and everything. Oh, and links to the team strategy sections as well.

I'm not sure, but it might be easier to set up a lot of this in the wiki section of the site, and just use this group to direct people to different things. A lot of what's needed may well already be present on the site somewhere, and having a single page to show people where things are could be a big help.
Roseph

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2009 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks guys for the input. Ya I am starting to realize the sheer amount of info that is spread around the site. I hope to turn the group page into a series of links to important stuff. I am looking for coaches to help with the teaching and tactics side of stuff. I will be asking people to submit racial rosters and tactics along with other information so if your interested hit me up
Ro
Astarael

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2009 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

"advanced tactics and team management" already exists.

Surely the best bet would just be to update and give a facelift to some of the Help pages that already exist to help out noobies (eg the getting started page).

I'm sort of failing to see what this idea (commendable though it is) could bring to the site which isn't there already.

Also using a wiki page is probably a better idea than a group page, easier for multiple people to contribute to and (in my opinion) an easier layout for reading.

I'm all for making the site more accepting to new players, but there's already a wealth of information in the Help section.

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2009 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I realize that Asta. My point is to actually teach people. To work on updating the info that is out there and getting the knowledge to them. This is not just for new coaches but for existing coaches that want to improve their game. I am contacting coaches to provide training games to give people the chance to ask and see why they do what they do and learn from playing better coaches
Ro
Astarael

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2009 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Get involved with TNT or whatever the current 'news/mag' thing is. Since Malthor got pushed out of running TNT they've been pretty dead, but reviving them would allow a great opportunity for getting information.

There's currently been a couple of people doing Coach Corners where they interview other coaches. You could add in a tactics and strategy part of the page where you had links to the current stuff with hints and tips regularly added from the community.

Training games is just academy Razz

Unfortunatly all these kind of things die because of lack on interest, but goodluck Razz

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2009 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

um...

TNT wasn't a "blood bowl boot camp" deal...it was a news page for the tournaments

--j

ImageImage
BiggieB

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2009 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

good initiative Ro but there are already people doing some good stuff! Try coordinate with them Smile
Roseph

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2009 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

BiggieB wrote:
good initiative Ro but there are already people doing some good stuff! Try coordinate with them Smile

I am working on it. I have brought Kryten on as staff as he is very active in playing in A. He has a first game policy that he uses and also a game code his team follows.
Ro
Astarael

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2009 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

i'm possibly willing to help with write-ups, spelling/grammar checks, page maintanence stuff like that. Not so keen ongiving people their first games though.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2009 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm quite new to Fumbbl but I'm happy to pass on what I've learned so far by playing a few Academy games here and there.

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2009 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats great I m looking for coaches to play games and get new guys some experience before they jump to ranked
 Jump to: