40 coaches online • Server time: 12:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Semitence

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2016 - 08:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Tomay wrote:
It's both a good thing and a bad thing as people are becoming so attached to them they are losing focus on the primary goal - a Premiership!

Just on this point, I don't think a Premiership is any less of a primary goal for people that can compete for it, but you have to be realistic about what you and your team can achieve.

If a Premiership title was all that mattered, then why would Luo run with Khemri for so long, or why would you use Humans and why would any of the Goblin players rock up for a game?

The game itself should be the enjoyment, the other parts are all bolt-on (including the elusive premiership cup). We shouldn't talk down the goals and aspirations of other players when they don't fit your own, or, more pointedly, especially when you have shown that you're not chasing them yourself.
D_Arquebus

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2016 - 09:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Semitence wrote:
We shouldn't talk down the goals and aspirations of other players when they don't fit your own, or, more pointedly, especially when you have shown that you're not chasing them yourself.

This...

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2016 - 09:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Statistical accomplishments are one thing, greatest of all time conversation is another. I certainly think captaining a two time Premiership winning team gives him a huge advantage in the GOAT conversation.

Getting any player to legend is a great achievement, however, the legend of Manfred is truly remarkable.

It's like poor old Gone. He handicapped his team so much they were forced into mediocrity. The Duke on the other hand was a fearsome leader of the successful Carlton United - both were the biggest stars in their day, but one is certainly talked about more than the other.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2016 - 09:47 Reply with quote Back to top

ramchop wrote:

no cojones? I don't recall any coach during my time here having skipped a game. It is different times now (yay journeymen) but I don't see any evidence to support that statement. It is a cool example though.

No that's true, however there has been a bit more defeatism creeping into the conversational tone recently in SWL. Plus I wanted an excuse to tell a little bit of that story.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2016 - 10:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, it's just passed me by.

But Hostile Kiddies IV have just player their 60th game Smile proud but wprried we've never achieved anything!

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2016 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Tomay wrote:
It's both a good thing and a bad thing as people are becoming so attached to them they are losing focus on the primary goal - a Premiership!

I brought this up the other day, but I have half a mind to keep Night Patrol for our game next. Partly because you have a strip baller (and he's sure hands), partly because he's a tackler, and probably because his presence shits you up the wall on occasion hahha.

On the other hand, av6 niggle.

As for goals, I reached most of mine quite some time ago, but maybe it's time for some new ones. Not all of them revolved around Prem, and I imagine others may share that too (while still keeping a good eye on the big prize).

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2016 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to see you win Prem against some good teams instead of the cruisy run you had last time Razz
Faulcon

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2016 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Hoover was pretty incredible and much respect to Pyates for what he did with him and Bolwgan, but I still believe that Manfred was the best thrower SWL has seen even if he didn't throw as many passes.

Maybe I'm biased because I actually played the vermin 6 times (4 with Manfred) and I only played the snowleopards once in a game that Hoover managed nothing but I'll happily listen to the opinions of anyone else who faced both! Smile
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2016 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Faulcon wrote:
Who faced both! Smile

If you haven't played both, you can't make any greater claim that "Widdowmaker was the greatest in my time".

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
Dlock

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2016 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, in any "greatest of all time" - conversation, it really comes down to opinion. I usually tend to look at stats since it is so hard to compare the level of competition or other factors.

There is plenty of these around - greatest footie team of all time (mine goes to Hungary 1950's), greatest boxer of all time (Teofilo Stevenson), greatest speed knitter (Miss Jarochvila Ericksdottir) and greatest wood elf team of all time (Autumn's leaves). One can always argue about these but they really are just opinions...

In general, I am just happy for people to have those great players, it adds flavor to the league and equally happy people to have all sorts of different goals to make their game more enjoyable.

However, doing something that will actively help your opponent to win a game is something I dont understand at all.

Now, for me, I am still in the stage of my bloodbowl career that I dont have any other goals than just be competitive every game, but if I would try to build a thrower like Hoover, I doubt I could, thats why from my limited (havent played rats) point of view he is just joy to watch.

- D

ps. thanks for the great, friendly conversation.
Semitence

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2016 - 23:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
Faulcon wrote:
Who faced both! Smile

If you haven't played both, you can't make any greater claim that "Widdowmaker was the greatest in my time".

Why not?
Tomay

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2016 - 02:03 Reply with quote Back to top

A conversation regarding the Greatest of All Time is exactly that, a conversation. While some people’s experience may lend their opinion more weight in others eyes, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Inevitably, GOAT conversations in any sport are controversial and prone to strong, opposing opinions.

There is no official GOAT list for good reason, its something which cannot be measured. Players from different eras under different meta’s and rules are difficult to compare. We can measure statistics and clearly in that element the players in discussion’s achievements cannot be denied.

However, as an SWL history buff I feel the need to highlight the achievements of the players from the past. The SWL culture was forged on the backs of these players. For this reason I like to put my opinion forward, perhaps with a little too much hyperbole.

Sometimes I fall victim to the fact that I am an administrator that makes official rulings and announcements which makes it difficult to differentiate if I am stating a fact or an opinion. I will try and be clearer on this in the future. In no way do I want to discourage others from entering these conversations, no matter their experience in the swl.

I actually really enjoy these discussions, its fantastic to have a league with such a history where its possible.

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2016 - 05:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Is that an opinion about discussions or an admin ruling?

Bio template here.
Dlock

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2016 - 11:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah yes, great work cdwat for getting to 100 games and to celebrate by winning against such a illustrious team (as I am sure you will).

Good stuff.

- D
Tomay

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2016 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

40/20/40 is so neat though.

Jump to: