40 coaches online • Server time: 19:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Has Cindy Piewhistle...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Draft League Expansi...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
OenarLod

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2011 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

A couple of news from the Whisky (emh, White) Isle, WIL Cymru Regional Division.

Whisky Imbued Lords - Tabletop Rules 3-0

Early in the morning, the Whisky Imbued Lords went out for a match against their hated cousins, the Tabletop Rules. The Lords started on offense and the combination of a perfect defense with well organized pressure forced them to score after 5 turns, leaving the darkies enough time to equalize before halftime. Fortunately, Nuffle choosed the right side! The Lords charged the dark witch, leaving an easy gap for the 1-1, but... SNAKES! A handful of 2d blocks and 2+ rolls lead to the 2-0 for the Lords. The second half was a matter of positional defense, letting the darkies die by the clock. Nuffle decided to punish again those evils elfs, for a final results.

Actually, one of my luckiest match ever, sorry for that Joe.

Happy for the win, and forgetting the match awaiting for them in the evening, the Lords went for a party to cheer their first, succesfull, league match. Whisky flood, maybe a barrel to match, and the Lords was barely able to walk to the pitch for the next match...

Whisky Imbued Lords - Dirty Trapis Meeting In WIL 0-1

Dazzled by the whisky, frightened by the vampires, the Lords didn't deserved their titles in the match. The vampires started on offense, marching down the field, and gazing and punching in the way. The Whisky Imbued Lords was so drunk that every knock down resulted in them retiring in the KO box for a good sleep... By the end of first half, we were down 0-1 and left with eight on the pitch. The second half start was painful. Despite a fan trying to help them throwing a rock on a thrall, the frightened Lords retired deep in their territory, while chased by a bunch of vamps. A ridicoulos hand-off (performed while tumbling on a bottle left on the pitch) left us exposed, and the vamps went for it. A couple of heroic and lucky plays lead to a bouncing ball around midfield, but the drunk elfs wasn't able to pick it up anymore...

Great match vicius, well deserved win.

See you on the pitch, guys.
OenarLod
Afroman

Post   Posted: Jun 08, 2011 - 08:15 Reply with quote Back to top

WIL Caledonia Regional Division XXI, Fling style.

Fumbles - [H] Rebel Prides 0-4(3-3)

After a very brutal start from the flings side, the elves decide to show what they are good at. namely taking the ball in your face and score in you drive. witch they did repeatedly. Despite the brutality of the first round, the flings only got one cas and one MVP to show for it...and three deaths...and two mngs. yikes.

Fumbles - WILlpowered Skinks 2-0(3-1)

With half of the Flings being journey men, the prospect of this match didn't look good. But thankfully The Chef made sure the unskilled lizards would have a their minds elsewhere thus generating one turnover after another. With three trees marking the five Saurus/Kroxigor, the flings had a numeral advantage against the skinks.
Something that led to a very satisfactory victory.

Next game will be the dorfs of WILiam Wallace and Clan, looking forward to it...not.

Afroman[/u]

Last edited by Afroman on %b %09, %2011 - %18:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 08, 2011 - 09:11 Reply with quote Back to top

WIL Aeryn Regional Division XXI

[L]ost Boys 1 - 0 Russo Loves Sheep

The Lost Boys (vampires) started their second game against a typically nasty Undead team (Russo Loves Sheep) and the Undead fans turned up in their droves giving +2 fame to the Undead, fortunately there were no pitch invasions today.

The game was underway with the Vampires receiving first. The game plan went pretty much as expected in the first drive. A few thralls got hurt and the Lost Boys managed to score in turn 5 due to their inability to stall any longer. The undead hordes received next and continued to KO the useless thralls all over the pitch. However the heavy bashing reduced Russo Loves Sheep to 0 re-rolls and ultimately cost them the chance to score in the end of the first half when a number of easy rolls were required to score. Fortunately for the Vampires - Russo Loves Sheep continued their run of poor luck.

The Ko rolls at half time were favourable for The Lost Boys and despite all their Ko'd thralls they managed to field 9 players against Russo Loves Sheep's 11.
The half again started with some heavy bashing of thralls. Though the following turn a Vampire managed to KO a Ghoul. In the third turn an opportunity presented its self for the vampires to 2 dice blitz the Wight ball carrier. Sadly the Vampire succumed to his penchant for blood so turned back in search of the nearest thrall to him, he was so over come by his lust for blood that he didnt notice he was being marked and snaked the dodge causing him to flee the game in search of some maiden to quell his thirst. This left the vampires in heaps of trouble as most of their thralls were still in tackle zones. Russo Loves Sheep continued bashing down the pitch but in the 6th turn left their ball carrier exposed. The Vampires pounced on this opportunity and POW'd the Wight sending the ball into the crowd. The Undead fans threw the ball back towards their Mummy. The vampires had no choice left but to make a desperate attempt for the ball. First a thrall one dice blocked a Zombie out of the way, then dodged with another thrall, picked the ball up in the Mummies tackle zone (with RR) and then threw the ball as far down the pitch as he could managed. An extremely lucky play but one that won the match for the Lost Boys. The final turn saw the Undead with 0 RR again and the Wight that had ran back to get the ball required 2 GFI a 4+ throw and a 3+ catch to make the score. Unfortunately the cursed GFIs stopped the Undead frm scoring for the second time this game.

After the terrible luck of the first game, this game couldn't have been any different and all the luck went the vampires way at the right time.

Next game - Orcs. Should be another tricky one Smile
Thadrin

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2011 - 17:50 Reply with quote Back to top

PLayed round three in the India division last night. It was late. There was beer (single hop IPA from Brewdog). I'll see what I can remember (having failed entirely to detail my thrilling 1-1 draw in round 2).

Started a push up the right, made one small bollocks up, got me cage opened up, Ogre smacks my thrower. Ball into the crowd, thrown directly to a Marauder way behind the play who has yet to activate. He scarpers. Manage to get two TZs on him...and the client goes screwy when I attempt a TTM. No idea what happened. Upshot was the dodge I thought I'd forced never materialised and a Blitzer who had caused a cas lost it again. And I was down 1-0.

Somehow manage to force my way through with Gobbo hijinks on turn 8 and even the score, kicking.

Things happen. Somehow I shake the ball loose, and a gobbo runs off upfield with it. Mistake number 2 was going for a pointless second GFI. Still not sure why I did. Got a bit caried away. He falls over, and by this stage I don't have enough guys to prevent the TD.

Try the OTS equaliser, rat rolls animosity on hand over to goblin. Ball game.

So, a .500 record with the Creepers after three games. Mixed luck....some excellent, some rubbish. Some stupid mistakes on my part. They're all sorts of fun though. Now have roughly the team build I want going forward so money will be used to replace players. Nice position to be in.

Kinda tired of my team's theme already though, which is sad.

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2011 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Lost Boys 1 - 0 Wimbledon CommonOrcs

Another very tight match for The Lost Boys, once again the game was won by a thrall pouncing on a loose ball and throwing it down field so no one could score.

The first half was a typical vampire drive. Using a couple of players to draw as many Orcs as possible out of the way so a path could be made at the opposite side of the pitch. I managed to make a hole, then set up camp in the bottom corner of the field with a vampire while I desperatly held off the Orc players as they cam storming back in field to prevent the touch down. As usual the vampires couldn't quite stall until turn 8, but a turn 7 touchdown was enough to prevent an equaliser before the half was up.
The second half saw the vampires start with two men down and soon after the break had lost another two players. Then the vamps fought back, first injuring a black orc and then injuring the blitzer ball carrier. Things were looking up for the vamps but the Orcs managed to clear the tackle zones from round the ball for another pick up, but this time the Orcs had little in the way of protection for their ball carrier. First the vampires blitzed the ball carrier and rolled two pushbacks, re-rolled and got double both downs, turn over. Things were looking bad as the ball carrier rushed towards the end zone now only 3 squares away. Fortunately there was very little protection for him again as my remaining thralls and vampires tied up most of the Orc players. The following turn another vamp managed to get a 2 dice block on the ball carrier but again just rolled pushbacks. Lost Boys started to think the worst, luckily the Orcs with no re-rolls left blocked a thrall and rolled double skulls giving me a 4th attempt at 2 dice on the ball carrier, this time there was no doubt. Double POW and the ball went flying into the crowd who through it just within reach of a thrall - who dodged picked the ball up and threw it the length of the field leaving no time to score. Was a very tight game and nice and tactical.

2 wins and 1 loss for the vamps now and joint top of the league with the Orc, but can they keep it up? Only time will tell....

Last edited by Garion on %b %23, %2011 - %13:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
Afroman

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2011 - 00:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Fumbles vs WILiam wallace and clan

What is there to say but that this was a total success!
No Deaths on my team and I even managed to make a TD. Of course, it would have been better if the dorfs wouldn't have made two of them.

First half was a rather good one, in Fling standards. I managed to find many 2D blocks and the ball moved steadily forward. Sorry to say no casualties on the dorfs and with three turns left i figured I could stop him from scoring. So the Fumbles scored. 1-0 Yeah!
Second Drive.
Thanks to the Swealtering heat he only had two AG3 player on the field. The runner picked up the ball. i take care of the blitzer. So what do you think he does? he makes a pass, TO A TROLLSLAYER! who of course catches the ball and runs for it well out of range from me. So with the help of TTM I manage to get a fling on the Troll slayer, straight behind him of course, I was hoping for him to frenzy the wrong way or dodge on 4+ without RR(or both).
So he blitzes, push/dodge(YES!), second block, push/POW(NO!). Well, everything was not lost. It's turn eight and thanks to the frenzy he now needs 2 GFI to make the TD, rolls 5 and 5. 1-1. Sourcream on me.

Second half.
My trees fall as if a Hurricane had passed by. My flings try to keep up and actually managed to get the ball for a second there. But it doesn't last. Then as if he wants to mock me, a longbeard picks up the ball. This makes me mad ofcourse, the only problem is that I'm down to three flings and three trees. Two flings and three trees. And it is when I try my second TTM and....BULLSEYE! the fling hits the elfwannabe dwarf but the flings armor breaks and the fling cannot take the ball. The other remaining runs towards the ball but the dorfs makes sure the two remaining flings are carried out of the field. Zero flings and three trees left. The last turn gets me one fling back. But since the touchback didn't came I wasn't able to try a TTM. Still 1-2 with no deaths against dorfs makes my fling bones happy.
Afroman

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2011 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Fumbles vs Second Class Lounge

The lizards had only played one game before since they were the stand in for JimmyFantastics High Elves and I had great hopes since Deeproot was going to join us this game aswell. He didn't have any block and only two RRs (pre-chef that is).

First half.
He gets the ball but comes to close. I cannot blitz him but Deeproot manages to mark the Saurus holding the ball(yeah he picked it up with a Saurus). He drops the ball in the chaos that follows and I'm close to retreive it. Deeproot blocks: skull/skull, loner 1. He manages to surround the ball but doesn't pick it up. I blitz so that the ball bounces but only to get in 3 TZs. I GFI to cover it with my SS Fling but it seems I should have given him sure feet instead. Turn 6 and he got the break he needed. He moves the ball to the other side of the field. Two skinks, 2 Saurus and a Kroxigor. Deeproot blitzes and takes down a saurus and marks the ballcarrying skink(and at the same time the Kroxigor and the other skink). The kroxigor takes Deeproot down and the skinks are on their way. One last try to blitz fails and the ballcarrier runs for it on turn 8. and fails the GFI that would have given the lizards one TD.

Second half.
My three trees managed to mark three saurus and the Krox early on. And with two Saurus already out of play, only four skinks and a last Saurus remained at large. Deeproot fell on a GFI witch allowed two skinks to blitz the ballcarrier. Thankfully he failed the GFI aswell. Moving forward then. A tree fell and three saurus are suddenly free and in the way. a block here a blitz there and finally a handoff. 1-0. and only three turns left.

Last drive
Quick snap. He makes a hole big enough to pass through. He picks up the ball. But realizes he choosed a move action instead of a handoff. He has to wait. There are three skinks out. One holding the ball out of my reach. I attack one of those within my reach but get only pushes. I mark the other one. I also make sure nothing except the ballcarrier is free to move at will. He moves only one of the skinks into TD position. Since he was marked he doesn't pass the ball to him. I blitz he Skink but don't break armor. He gets up and two dodges and two gfis later he stands in the TD zone. the ballcarrying skink andvances and passes the ball. Inaccurate. 1-0 to me!
YEAH!
Boothdom

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2011 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Well....

After a fairly rapid accent to the big time (having played 1 game in the Fringe) the brand new Lizard franchise, Second Class Lounge, brought in to replace High Elves Gimp Training, have had a somewhat rude awakening!

2 games in 2 days and record of 0-0-2 with only 1 casualty. Not ideal!

Game 1 was against KFoged's [H] Rebel Pride. The Lizards were generally outclassed and ended up going down 2-0, with a 1-1 on the casualties. Quite interestingly, the Lizards didn't get the ball in hand all game. It's tough to score when you can't pick the thing up! Still, no major injuries and a decent purse meant the team could hire a permanent Apo and luckily the one recipient of SPP, Michael Gecko, also managed to pick up MVP so took the much needed Block skill.

Game 2 was against Afroman’s Fumbles, a new Halfling team for this season. Hopes were high of getting some decent SPP and potentially gaining their first league point proper. How wrong can you be!

The pre-game plan was to try and get some strong early blocks in against that juicy 6AV and try to push the numbers in my favour. Then generally avoid the trees and use my superior MV on the skinks to race in a touchdown or so.

Alarm bells first stared to ring when I saw our TVs were exactly 400k apart. Deeproot and a Chef then. That may sting on the RRs as there’s only 2 on my starting roster. Turns out I did at least get 1 for the game.

So, first half, receive. I did indeed try and (succeed!) to pick the ball up with a Saurus. The ball was deep in my half and well out of range of the flings so I thought, with my one re-roll I did have a shot, reasoning it would be fairly tough for the flings to get it out of his hands and a TD would give me some much needed SPP on the slow to skill up fella. So, 5+, BOOM there it is! Nice start. Unfortunately, this feat of uncharacteristic agility went to his head and he pushed too far up field. BIG mistake #1. I thought he was screened well enough, but a blitz through a skink and a GFI form Deeproot put him firmly in the Saurus’ tackle zone. Hmmm, not an auspicious start. Turn 2 I managed to get a 2DB on Deeproot to try and take him down, but the POW wasn’t forthcoming (more on that later!) and Stand Firm meant that next turn the ball would be popped out and a general melee would ensue for 6 turns as we each put plenty of TZ on the ball. Turn 7 I managed to get a break going and set up a dart across field. The skink ball carrier was pretty well set for a turn 8 score, just needing a single GFI to be home and dry. You can guess where this is going! Wink

So 0-0 going in to the second half, but more alarmingly, I was down to 9 players losing 2 Saurus (including the Block player Michael Gecko) to a BH and a Broken Rib. The two flings I’d put off the field both recovered from their KOs so they were back at full strength. This theme continued with me loosing another Saurus in turn 11 to a BH and a skink to another BH late on. I tried to screen as much as possible but the lack of numbers meant that the flings got a mid half score courtesy of a well executed hand off putting me 0-1 down.

Things were getting desperate. 4 turns to score and not that much on the bench. I had to try and blitz open a flank then try and rush the flings with a skink. Things started ok with a Quick Snap! meaning I could open up the flank and mark up the necessary flings. There’d still be the matter of a pick up and a hand off but so far so good. Pick up, good! This may just work. Now, just for the hand off. BIG mistake #2. You can’t hand off if you’ve selected move. Darn.

From then on it was pretty much a done deal. I had few options but did manage to get the faintest hope of a turn 16 TD. A skink in the end-zone and a wild throw from the ball carrier on a 6+, but it wasn’t meant to be.

Game over. 0-1, but more embarrassingly 0-4 on the casualties and no SPP bar the MVP, which went to a skink.

I really should have done better in this game. The mistakes cost me a draw, if not a potential win, which is obviously my fault. The casualties though, were a worrying part. In the midst of a bout of insomnia I replayed the game and did a little basic analysis of the block dice. Nothing too scientific but here are the numbers:

Block dice thrown in the game: POW/POWPush/Pusback/Both Down/Skull

Me: 6/9/26/14/9 – Total 64
Afroman: 29/12/25/14/8 – Total 88

With all that dodge and no block (my Block Saurus went out turn 4) it was always going to be hard, but it seems the dice gods had no love for me that day! 6 POWs all game or 9% is just not going to do it. Put that against Afroman’s 33% and it’s going to get ugly, particularly as the POWPush is effective for him on 60% of my team.

Ah well, onward and upward!

Thanks to both coaches for thoroughly enjoyable games. I hope I can muster a bit more of a challenge if our paths cross again!

Cheers,

Dom
Afroman

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2011 - 21:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Fumbbles vs Fighting Greenskins

First game without DeepRoot. Felt it right away. I managed to hold the orcs off for three whole turns before I was forced to throw the fling towards the endzone and score. And by then I had already lost two fling to the MNG box.

Trying to stop the green wave from crushing me(much less scoring) was less than easy. But a wellplaced fireball allowed me to take possession of the ball so long it took him to blitz me. By then three more players left the field and the orcs had three turns to score and possesion ob the ball. My second Throw this game lands a fling right beside the ballcarrying. My 2D block fails and the orc blitzer needs to dogde to advance. He does. now I need to dodge and GFI countless of times to cover him, wich i do. So he needs to dodge again. Now he falls(thanks chef) and the I manage to put 2 TZs on the ball before a TO ocurrs. last turn. A blitz removes one TZ from the ball. A TZ and then fall when he tries to dodge. 1-0 ant half time.

Six players to field. Despite not having a surehands orc anymore(he went surfing) the orcs gets the ball and start advancing. My third TTM lands in three TZs(one being the ball carrier) so i try a -2D but only manage to push him. That fling died in the coming turn. Long story short, the orcs manages remove all flings from the field AND give a tree -1MA before scoring on turn 5 of the second half.

Four players to field. Three flings and one tree. however I look at it a TTM TD seems distant. and then a touchback happens! No sense beating around the bush so I Throw the fling who ends up BH and the ball lands in the middle of enemy territory.
His turn. A 2D block with a blitzer. Double skulls. My turn again. another TTM. lands, picks up the ball, GFI, GFI and 2-1 with 2 turns to go.

last drive.
The orcs have seen what I can do so they take no chances. I hope in vain that the pick up or the pass would fail. All flings dissappear before it is my turn. And the tree is too far away. 2-2

By the sacred pie, I was lucky as hell during this game. OTOH the orcs barely looked at my players before a cas occurred. So I guess it balanced itself out? Nah, I was still lucky Smile

Next game against another low TV block ridden team. At least the only have AV 7. maybe I can get one cas there....
clarkin

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2011 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Ultra Goats vs Cold Hands, Dead Eyes: 1-1

The Ultra Goats come to this game 410k underdogs, which they spend on a chainsaw and 2 bribes + a babe. Going to have to remove that saw properly or we'll see him all game!

We kick off... and a BOULDER comes sailing in from the crowd (is that Ripper Bolgrot up there grinning??) and crushes our +STR ghoul for a MNG. They follow this up with a KILL on a zombie with their mino (regen fail) and we are down to 10 for the game before even getting a turn.

They push forwards into our half with the ball, making the most of their numbers advantage and putting the saw to good use. By T4 we've taken two KOs and can't really attack the ball anymore outnumbered as we are. They keep the pressure on, scoring a BH on a zombie on T5 (regen fail), but when their saw fails to knock down a mummy that same turn we take advantage and smash him to the ground for a MNG! At least he won't be coming back!!

T8 and they make it 1-0 though at least both our KOs wake up so we have 9 vs their 11.

They start the 2nd half with a blitz (oh god when will the pain end??) that immediately KOs a player... 8 vs 11 before we get our turn again! They rush players up towards the ball carrier (our +AGI ghoul) but he dodges past and to the half way line on T2. They can 2d blitz him with their tackle beastman... but they get pushes and then reroll into double skulls!! Just the turn of luck we needed here, and we take our chance to rush towards the end zone and make it 1-1 after a single turn of stalling.

They have 4 turns left to try and win it but are out of rerolls and only have 10 vs our 9 now... maybe we can get something here? And we get a blitz to help us out a bit, letting us rush both ghouls and both wights towards the ball. They go for the ball with their AGI4 beasty.. he could pass it to the far side here and totally turn our attack on it's head... but he's fumbled the pickup!! We grab it with our +AGI ghoul and then double 1 a GFI... argh!

This time their +AGI grabs the ball and make the 4+ long pass downfield to a waiting beastman.. argh x 100! Fortunately we can just about set up a 4 GFI, 2 zombie blitz to knock the ball free (using our last reroll on one of the GFIs) to make it impossible for them to score in time. T8 and we do have one slight chance at a TD, but without rerolls and with piles of their players in the way it doesn't come off and the game ends 1-1.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2011 - 09:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Lost Boys 1 - 1 Lefranc

With the league so open, Lost Boys saw this as a great opportunity to try and get ahead of the pack. Confidence was running high and with just one big obstacle in the Chaos Pact team (the ST4 Dark Elf)to try and overcome felt like a win was in reach. The plan was to foul him as much as possible. Sadly the first half didn't quite turn out like this. After 2 turns the bloodthirsty vampires had knocked out a thrall and badly Hurt another - so with depleted numbers the fouling tactic quickly became an impossibility. The sun beat down and Lefranc pressed well, forcing the vamps to retreat, the big moment came when a vampire tried to dodge away from a troll so he could protect the ball carrier but so repelled and distracted by the trolls breath he tripped and fell. Lefranc then went for it, first setting up a tacklezone on the vampire ball carrier - then blitzing him with the St4 Dark elf, and the ball popped free. The pact team pounced on the ball and ran down field. The Lost Boys now reduced to only 5 players had nothing left but a desperate attempt to blitz the ball carrier to stop him scoring by making a 4+ 3+ 2+ dodge, luckily they all worked and the one dice block resulted in a POW, the ball bounced free but with the re-roll already used on a dodge the vampire failed the GFI to try and pick up the ball. Fianlly Lefranc picked the ball up again, made their hand off and scored to go 1-0 up at half time and were ready to receive the kick.

Things were not looking good for the vampires as the first half drew to a close, fortunately the Babes brought all 5 players back from the KO box to give both sides 10 players for the second half. However the sun really took its toll on the Emo Dark Elf and he was forced to sit out of the second half with sun stroke. This gave the Vampires renewed belief and within a few turns the ball had popped free. A vampire ran for the ball failing his bloodlust but ignoring it to save the re-roll incase a 1 was rolled on the pick up, it was, re-rolled and another 1, so 3 1s in a row saw the vampire fly off into the crowd killing a large sections of Lefrancs supporters. So with the ball was free again, Lefrance picked it back up with thier plucky goblin. A few turns passed and the vampires just couldn't roll a POW against the little git but eventually the ball bounced free. This time there was no mistake, the vampires grabbed the ball and threw it to a thrall down field who caught the ball and ran it in for a touchdown. 1-1 and the final whistle went.

Was a fun game and as the Lostboys left the pitch both fans were amazed to see them thanking the Sun god Solaris. Later in the post match interview it became clear that they had played with fear while the Dark Elf was on the pitch and him sitting out the second half was really the turning point in the match.
phil78

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2011 - 01:25 Reply with quote Back to top

5 games into the season and somehow the clan are still undefeated.

However 4 draws and the deaths of 3 star gutters mean things aren't looking good :/
James_Probert

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2011 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Holy Cliffs 4 - 3 Pine Valley Cosmonauts

Well, as the teams met, this was shaping up to be a fascinating game, with Somertown's group leading Pine Valley Cosmonauts facing off against (arguably) the leading member of the chasing pack.

The inducement money received by the cliffs for playing the game, was spent on a wizard, a babe, and Skitter stab-stab, who although he seemed to actually do very little, despite being on the whole match, took a lot of punches that would otherwise have been aimed at the players that mattered. Wink

The holy cliffs won the toss and elected to receive the first kick off.
They proceeded to take 4 turns to score, in a nervy drive that saw the first case what would be end up being a common feature of the game: the ball on the floor after being picked up.
The Cosmonauts took just 2 turns to reply, driving hard down one flank, before passing to the free player, as the Cliffs couldn't get enough cover in to stop the score.

The Cosmonauts chose this moment to try for the turn over score the winner was going to have to score, but some lucky dice got the ball away from the cliffs end zone, and with a turn remaining, inside scoring range, with 3 potential scorers (but only one likely scorer;-)).
The score was made, leaving PVC to make the one turner to take it into half time with the scores level.
Success was had with the one turn score, although my defensive set up for such events almost certainly isn't what it could be, leaving it at 2-2 at half time, and with no casualties on the elven side, and both wardancers still going strong, IMO, the elves now had to be favourites to win.

The elves received what the skaven coach was heard to mutter was a 'near perfect' kick, deep wide and opposite to PVC's strong flank.

The ball was gathered, but an aggressive defense from the Cliffs and, in a game turning moment, a failed long pass from PVC's rookie thrower, left the ball in skaven paws, though that didn't stop it proving a very slippery ball and falling to the floor again when pressure was applied, as strip ball was put to good use (yet again). However, PVC couldn't recover it, and the gutter runners slipped the ball away for a defensive touchdown to the Holy Cliffs.

The Cliffs then set up a perfect defence, and decided that, with a defensive score to the good, they could really go for it, and elected to use their wizard, however, failure to properly cover for leaping wardancers left them back at 3-3 and in need of controlling the clock to win the match, something both teams had, so far it seemed, felt extremely uncomfortable doing, given the mounting scoreline.
On the other hand, given the number of times the ball had hit the ground, even in the relatively short period available, maybe those fears were grounded.

The Cliffs gathered the ball and promptly backpedaled out of range of the wardancers, although that didn't stop other members of the team having a potshot, but 2 ones on GFIs put paid to that.
The Skaven forced their way through the lines of elves, finally (or atleast, it felt like it) inflicting some damage more permanent than a Knock out on an elf.
Clearing one dancer off the pitch gave swiftrun the confidence to bring the ball forward, although it took a failed leap to keep the ball safe, but a mistake was made by the coach, and just when the ball should have been deep in PVC's half, well out of range of the fallen strip baller, he held back to assist with a foul that never happened.

The wood elves went to work, getting the ball free and gathering it, and only another set of double 1s on a dodge, gave the holy cliffs another sniff of the win.
But once they'd picked up the scent, they didn't lose it, gathering the ball with supreme confidence, handing off to the only rat in range (once that interfering wardancer had been dropped on his ass and out of the match (as it was T16)) before strolling it in for the win.

GG somer, well played. You probably deserved to win this, but the dice let you down at the key moments, imo.

And so, the Holy Cliffs move top of Lion conference, but all the other 'big' games are yet to come, so who knows whats going to happen, what ever way it goes, it's looking like it should be a cracking title fight.

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2011 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Slitherpool FC 2 - Constructivists 0

The Constructivists trooped disconsolately into the dressing room, their fine white-and-gold armour dented, blood-spattered and grass-stained. The backroom staff rushed to tend to their injuries with Elven magic, herbal remedies and draughts of healing beverages.

Blitzer Vesnin hurled his Dragon-winged helm to the floor in anger.
'By Asuryan's ears! What kind of fiasco was that?' he shouted.
'You tell us Vesnin,' said Catcher Lissitzky, 'Or were you still sleeping when they kicked-off?'
'They used some kind of blitz play - they were all over us before the ball had landed!'
'Lucky I got us out of that mess then,' the Catcher replied. 'But mere moments later, I turn upfield to go on the attack and next thing I hear a smash, and turn round to see Rodchenko being carried into the dug-out and the ball in the crowd!'
At the sound of his name, Rodchenko tentatively raised himself from the gilt-inlaid bed upon which he lay.
'My back...it's been troubling me...'
'Half of us seem to have 'troubling' injuries!' Vesnin said. 'We can't take a hit without falling to bits!
'Well why are we even getting hit?' Catcher Shukov said. 'Isn't that your job?'
'My job?' the Blitzer said, incredulously.
'Yes, you and those other fellows,' he said, waving a hand at the assembled linemen, who looked back at him disdainfully.
'Did you see how fast those Skinks moved? It's not so easy to keep them where you want them.'
'They're animals!' Rodchenko said, wincing with pain. 'To say nothing of those other monsters! Surely animals aren't allowed on the pitch?'
'They're not animals, they're Lizardmen. Anyway, it was one of those little 'animals' that knocked you out of the match!'
'Urgh, don't remind me, all I remember was the big eyes and the-' he shivered, '-teeth. Who arranges our fixtures anyway? Can't they find someone a bit...nicer to play? A little less...bitey?'
'This is a league, Rodchenko,' snapped Lissitzky. 'We don't get to pick who we play!'
'Back in Ulthuan...'
Several players rolled their eyes at the anticipation of another tedious anecdote. Suddenly there was a mighty crash as the dressing room door slamed open. It was their human coach 'King' Ghidra, his face twisted with anger.
'You're not in Ulthuan any more!' he raged, slamming a fist into a jewel-encrusted silver goblet and sending Elven manajuice across spraying the room.
'It's time to shape up or ship out! If you're too broken and weak to go on, you can get the hell out! What this team needs now is some determination and some pride! I don't want to hear any more excuses! The owner hired me to teach you fancy scrubs how to play real Blood Bowl, and part of that means sucking it down when things go wrong!'
'There are lessons to learn today, lessons about positioning and execution. But the League's not over yet, we have time to learn those lessons, and we have two games left, two games to put those lessons into practice. Two games we can win, and if we win them we could be in the Premiership. That's the big time - so what I need to know is: are you big-time players? Or just big-time whiners?'

The High Elves stared back at the red-faced coach, and for a moment he wondered if they were with him, or if they were too damn arrogant to learn, too arrogant to play for a human. Then Vesnin moved, reaching down to pick his helm from the floor.
'I'm a player, coach,' he said.
Then Lissitzky stepped forward proudly.
'I'm a player.'
Next there was a wheeze from Rodchenko, and the Thrower gingerly raised himself from the bed and stood.
'I'm a player,' he said.
In moments the phrase was repeated by player after player, til the whole team had spoken and the room was silent once more. The coach looked them over, drinking in the determination, the team spirit. No Elven magic could match that.
'Good. Then now we go to work.'
King_Ghidra

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2011 - 11:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Constructivists 4 - 3 V for Vendetta!

'Jonas Maddenheim here, with Constructivists' coach King Ghidra - and King, how do you feel right now after that amazing result?'
'Well I'm very proud of the boys, Jonas, because we knew this was going to be a hell of a tough match and we knew the season was on the line here. The boys have risen to the occasion and now we have a sniff of the premiership. I couldn't ask for more.'
'Were you surprised by how open the match was?'
'Absolutely. We were confident we could score when we had to, but we didn't expect Vendetta to play such an attacking game. The match was played in a great spirit throughout, and a lot of credit for that goes to coach Krytie.'
'Talk us through that final drive, coach.'
'Well, to be honest Jonas, I was wondering if I had made a mistake, because with time running out, it looked like there would only be time for one more score. As those Dark Elves had already put three past us, I just had to hope that we found a way to pressure a mistake, and well, that's how it turned out. I think their runner wasn't having the best of games and I'm sure he'll be feeling pretty bad right now after the drop. But the boys responded in a flash and I think Shukov showed there, with that leap and pass, that he is one of the best talents in this League.'
'A word about your thrower's performance today - the fans' Man of the Match, three TD passes, and our stats expert tells me he has now thrown for more yards than anyone else in WIL history.'
'Well I think Rodchenko has really come through for us. He has been struggling with a back injury all season, and to have a day like today, to put up the numbers he did, again I'm just very proud of him.'
'Finally coach, any thoughts on who you fancy for the playoff?'
'I haven't given it much thought Jonas, but we know whoever it will be will be a tough opponent. Anyone who gets to the Premiership is a special team. For now, we'll just have a small celebration tonight and then get back to training. Whoever it is we'll be ready for them, I can tell you that much.'
'Thanks Coach, good luck in the playoff. Well Cabalvision fans, a truly remarkable result here. Join us in a few weeks' time for more aerial acrobatics as the Constructivists face their big playoff match for Premiership glory. This is Jonas Maddenheim for the WIL Cabalvison Network.'
 Jump to: