40 coaches online • Server time: 13:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How would you describe your position on this matter?
I use all tactics i need to to win and NEVER care when it's done back to me
28%
 28%  [ 72 ]
I'll happily use all tactics i need to but i must admit i do sometimes get annoyed by the tactics of others
16%
 16%  [ 42 ]
I'll use all tactics i need to.... until i no longer feel its needed and hope my opponent does the same
44%
 44%  [ 111 ]
I'll play how I want to and get annoyed if the opponent uses certain tactics that i dont like
10%
 10%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 250

Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2008 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I expect anything I do (read 'I am a munchkin and I'll do anything to win' - cheers Mez) back in spades, infact, I want it back. Makes it fun. Foot comes off the gas when the game is over. Some don't follow the same path, but generally other than asking why they are fouling when it's 3-0 with 2 turns left, I embrace my new, lower TR and leaner looking team.

As for the other stuff (all the forum inches stuff, fouling, skill use, OFAB TDs, yada yada), different folks for different strokes. It's a rare day it'll wind me up.

I don't mind the avatar now, but in a week or so I'll hunt you down... Very Happy
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2008 - 23:54 Reply with quote Back to top

paul, shame, you have shocked people

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2008 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

You can do whatever you want within the rules of the game. The only thing I don't like is stretching each turn to the full 4 minutes on purpose. But then again, I'm free to not play that coach again outside of scheduled matches. Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2008 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I answered honestly, I have happpily wasted teams under my boot, but have been pissed off when coaches have destroyed me. Since the DMU, I have embraced the carnage somewhat, although I am still prone to massive bouts of TWATiness. I am trying to improve though, honest.
I think for me mainly it's the coach. If it's a coach I like, then regardless of the result/Cas's etc., I will leave the game smiling. And thankfully, they are starting to outweigh the ones I've had hostility with. But there are a lot of long memories on here. I struggle to remember yesterday....

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2008 - 05:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I believe Paul wrote somewhere that, both coaches should try to make the game enjoyable for the other. Obviously we all like different things in the game, that's to say what one coach thinks is a great laugh isn't a laugh to another.

So if you give it hard, indeedly you should be taking it with equal vigour. Though of course it in someways is naunce thing.

Taking Paul's previous post to heart, I never complain or whinge whilst playing even when I'm having a lousy time. I do however feel peeved when having a bad game with flings, and my oppo is setting up my last fling with his rsc/claw beastman into a foul cage.....there are limits.
BigBother

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2008 - 08:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I cannot take part in this poll. I need:
I will play how I want and don´t care what the opponent does to me
SillySod

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2008 - 09:39 Reply with quote Back to top

BigBother wrote:
I cannot take part in this poll. I need:
I will play how I want and don´t care what the opponent does to me

Try the first poll option Wink

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
BigBother

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2008 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

That is not the same. when my team policy (yes, i have that with most of my teams) tells me to do a stupid thing, then i will do it. Like playing undead and throwing the ball with skeletons and not taking ghouls, as they cannot regenerate. Then I do what I want, not what is necessary to win...
odi

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2008 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the only tactic not mentioned in the rule book, which I dont like is whining when the game isnt going your way. And when it becomes too much, I usually unleash my DP, to give them something to whine about. Most people here are really good sports, and can even laugh at double skulls and RIPs. Yeah, it's ok to comment and have a laugh when you are having a bad day, but if it starts being constant "Pleeeeeeeease" "Incredible!", "It's always like this..." (actually those 2 last ones arent even bad, if there was any humor involved) Razz

Though, I've specced a few games, where the other guy whines so much, the leader decides to take it easy on them... Consting him a game. So I guess whining could be a legimate tactic, since I've seen it work Very Happy
arw

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2008 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

If I'ld play friends on board I might even employ the tactics that annoy me most BECAUSE they are annoying (like focusing favorite players even if others are as good or better). It's an advantage! Here however it would feel more rude to do so and I only use that in limits. Trash talk for instance might really offend people which I don't want of course. Playing friends on board is different cause ppl know u don't dislike or abuse 'em for real.

When you say "tactics" you might include T16 fouls- I wouldn't. I mention it because it is a crucial point- people tend to dislike it because it has no tactical purpose.
Any foul that I recognize to be "in line with my oppos objectives" is way more likely to not piss me off in any case (...and usually it doesn't annoy me overly if my pix get fouled).
Games against oppos who give their best and employ anything for the win- including continued brutal fouling- tend to be thrilling and funny. After all I don't really want my oppos to have a handicap by avoiding the brutality I employ. If luck and skill aren't too unbalanced it is even more fun and makes an even greater game when both teams suffer losses (though the fun is not loosing my favorite players but the strive for winning nonetheless).
That's a definite part of all epic games ^^

"Some people"(=YOU pauly) seem to see fouling not as a means but as an objective on it's own. I won't blame you for that. Fun is a good reason to play a GAME in a certain way.
What annoys me sometimes however is people usually playing "friendly 4 the win" but starting to foul ruthlessly when they no longer fear for their own players (= when the game is over / their opponent is already defenseless). That lacks guts.

Annoying or not - even if I am pissed I can't really blame anyone since it is legitimate to foul at any given time for any reason (or no reason at all). I usually remember that if I am annoyed- after all it legitimizes ruthless fouls on an annoying oppos team, too ^^

Last edited by arw on %b %24, %2008 - %10:%Nov; edited 3 times in total
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2008 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Paul makes damn sure that every opponent he plays enjoys the same kind of game that he does.

This makes all the difference.

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2008 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Paul I want that mouth avatar back!

-Buur

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2008 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

2nd option.

I will happily use all tactics that I have gained from reading the rulebook, learned during played on tabletop, learned from other coaches, played agaisnt other coaches, gained from revires, gained from reading forum post, gained from replays etc. When I have gained all that knowledge, I should have an edge over my opponent. And therefore I CAN GET annoyed that my opponent have the same knowledge as me (damn those idiots for having read and analysed the same knowledge that are avaliable to me, which also mean he has access to it).
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2008 - 10:40 Reply with quote Back to top

arw wrote:
When you say "tactics" you might include T16 fouls- I wouldn't. I mention it because it is a crucial point- people tend to dislike it because it has no tactical purpose.
Any foul that I recognize to be "in line with my oppos objectives" is way more likely to not piss me off in any case (...and usually it doesn't annoy me overly if my pix get fouled).
Games against oppos who give their best and employ anything for the win- including continued brutal fouling- tend to be thrilling and funny. After all I don't really want my oppos to have a handicap by avoiding the brutality I employ. If luck and skill aren't too unbalanced it is even more fun and makes an even greater game when both teams suffer losses (though the fun is not loosing my favorite players but the strive for winning nonetheless).
That's a definite part of all epic games ^^

I believe there are several reasons to foul a lot for the win- "Tactical T16 fouling" however is rare (though existent).
"Some people"(=YOU pauly) seem to see fouling not as a means but as an objective on it's own. I won't blame you for that. Fun is a good reason to play a GAME in a certain way.
What annoys me sometimes however is people usually playing "friendly 4 the win" but starting to foul ruthlessly when they no longer fear for their own players (= when the game is over / their opponent is already defenseless). That lacks guts.
Now I might very well be as brutal but it's brutality ain't the point i dislike about it. I'd easily foul one out of four remaining Gutters even if the rest of the team is already dead. That's because 4 Gutters can score if lucky- not because I enjoy fouling even more when not threatened myself. My oppo however might not see the difference. Guess I have to admit: I myself might not see the difference.
Annoying or not - even if I am pissed I can't really blame anyone since it is legitimate to foul at any given time for any reason (or no reason at all). I usually remember that if I am annoyed- after all it legitimizes ruthless fouls on an annoying oppos team, too ^^

I can think of several cases of when to foul.
You need the 2cas for +ff
Prevent the other one from scoring (yep the foul will come if you score now. Warning or treat, what ever suit you)
It was a brutal game (need more of that)
The other one was a complete idiot
Anyplayer prone on the ground, can stand op and blitz and make the 3pows and then break the armour and make the rip cas (it is a possibility)
And many more reasons, that I am sure of people can think of Smile
arw

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2008 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Not all the mentioned reasons are of tactical nature.
Preventing to score becomes less and less a reason if a player is more and more defenseless. Hence it doesn't encourage to start fouling "late" (= when the game is over / their opponent is already defenseless).
It might be the need for 2 cas in order to get +ff. But that is- as I said- more or less rare.

Don't overlook it- I never said T16 fouls are all evil. Just that they usually aren't a tactic but more a style or a reaction (...to loosing/ being pissed).
 Jump to: