34 coaches online • Server time: 10:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post NAF Charity Tourney ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Deng_Ham

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Again, please read the arguments above before posting. I' ll give you the highlights.

Adjusting points manualy work, but if no one deserves a win the shedule will show one as a winner non the less. Also there are issues in swiss and last round of a tournament.

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of having the options to declare a forfeited game a draw or "both lose". I'd declare it a draw if there was a conversation via PM that proves they at least tried. And a "both lose" if I don't hear anything from anyone. Would be a way to improve (i.e. enforce) communication, too.

Maybe there could be an option to punish people who don't get their games played without any effort to do so. Tournament configuration could allow to reduce the number of points in case of a forced result (independent from the option the admin chooses): You could leave it zero or go to -1 for example, which would then be a 2 pts. win (still slightly worse then a real win) and a 0 pts. draw - but if you are declared loser you are punished with -1 point (you could even go further and make it a -2 penalty or more). There could also be an option to set a minimum, for example zero or -1 points (in combination with unlimited negative points, this could be used to always bring down points to the minimum, even if one team has to be declared winner - in a K.O. tournament for example).

Those are two suggestions that in fact work completely independently.
Cyrus-Havoc

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the OP has some valid ideas.

An option to declare a draw when it is no ones fault is clearly a good idea.
A double win (or whatever you want to call it) is not.

The both lose idea is the best one, I have had situations where both coaches were either unhelpful or just failed to comunicate anything to me or each other. The worst cases are finals of knock out tournaments where a winner is declared on forfiet when neither deserve it.

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

surely the point is the option to forfeit as per the OP suggestions would be a good improvement. wether you like some of the ideas is irrelevant as each group/league will enforce which ever rules suit their league, be that double-lose or double-win etc etc Smile
Deng_Ham

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been thinking of a way to make this work. Tho I know nothing of programing. It's only how to be able to award the exact points you want, without having to configure a lot of options and it'll give leagues the options to fill there needs.

The forfeit page will look like this:
* The "tick box" will only make the winners name in bold.
* The number field, let's the admin write whatever point the team gets.
* The "forfeit" link will work like it does now.
* And the "Update Scores" button will decide the choices made and go back to the tournament page.

The tournament page will look like this.
* You can see that instead of a TD result, there are numbers and points. This will let all players see how the call was made and who got what points.
* The "filler 4" team is marked in bold, becouse the where tagget as winners.
* The orange button is still there, and that'll lead to the same forfeit page and allow the admin to change the score.

btw: Again, I'm sorry for the confusion regarding "both win". Technicaly there is no winner or looser as the game have to be played for it to be. It was only a name I made up for a forfeit when no one was to blame. My point was that it sometime is a need for several different results for a game.

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

The reasons that I like it to be like this is:
* Gives the admins more options for distribution of points when a game need to be forfeitet.
* Make it easy for the other coaches to see how many points each team have been awarded.

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

The forfeit system is clearly a bit too simple as of now. Having been involved in league admining myself, I think Deng_Ham's solution looks a great improvement. I hope something like this will get implemented in the new FFB League division.

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
 Jump to: