42 coaches online • Server time: 12:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How many runners do you field on a Dark Elf team?
Zero
37%
 37%  [ 18 ]
One
50%
 50%  [ 24 ]
Two
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 48

polardragon

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2014 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I like having one on the team.

It frees up the blitzers to do the bashing and screening.

Blodge surehands and sidestep are all they really need, but mostly they retrieve the ball and hand off to a blitzer in scoring position.

If +MA comes along they that much more effective in the role.

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2014 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

polardragon wrote:
I like having one on the team.

It frees up the blitzers to do the bashing and screening.

Blodge surehands and sidestep are all they really need, but mostly they retrieve the ball and hand off to a blitzer in scoring position.

If +MA comes along they that much more effective in the role.

This is exactly the reason why I like to have one as well.

Obviously they are not 'great' and I can understand why other prefer rather not to have them, but I feel the MA7 and pass skill access is worth the +10k -AV on a agility team that is lacking speed. If you field no assassins and only 1 witch you will still only have two AV7 on the pitch. I definately prefer them over the assassin and the second witch.

The main reason I like them is that they free up the 5-6 positionals of the team to do other stuff instead of carrying the ball. It can be vital to have another ma7 screener.

Dump-off can be something like a last resort, but I would never build around it. I feel the best build is Dodge-Block-Sure Hands-Pass-Leader. MA+ is golden. At that point they are really efficient at moving the ball either by running or passing for short gains.

In theory "you never want to pass" and will run in every TD by foot. But Dark elves tend to be players down vs bashers in the second half and they do not even the superior speed of other elvs/skaven/humans to screen a running lane for a ma8/9 player. So having another ma7 with pass which really is not a big investment, will come in very handy.

That being said I can not see the point of fielding two of them as I consider the nos-dump combo to be a red hering.

In a regular league I have no doubt that a runner is a good investment, I really have never build up any in an "open league", but I hope to find the time to try at some point.
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2014 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

One runner is good as long as you protect him. Dump-off can be quite a handy last line of defense / insurance.
licker

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2014 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Having now played a fair amount of DE and having never had a runner (for long) I can say that I've never missed having one and I cannot imagine why I would ever take one.

Of course you can build them into blodge/surehands, but you can build any elf into blodge sure hands just as easily. Frankly the MA on him is nice, but a bit overrated as the AV7 simply removes them the game so quickly (as they get targeted so much).

For what it's worth I've also been running my L DE team with no witches (though not completely by design), and, I don't miss them either. I'd like to have one just for the frenzy, but I'd much rather have any +AG line elf or blitzer than any number of witches or runners.

Even with their 'advantages' if they don't get a stat or a double they are a bit of a waste to me. And doubles on them usually are not guard, which is really what you want to use your doubles for, so that hurts their overall value as well. Now I may be a bit biased with my team as I do have an AG6 line elf and a 8358 blitzer, yet I cannot find many times where having MA7 over MA6 would have made much difference, yet there are plenty of times where AV8 vs. AV7 makes a difference.

Granted, any team composition can probably work (short of assassins), so a lot of this is down to personal preference, yet my experience shows that neither runners nor witches are necessary to have a team with a solid winning record. Still, I'd happily take a witch, and if I knew I was building for high TV I'd probably take 2 witches and a runner and a 2 man bench, but that's not always so easy to do Smile
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2014 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

The best answer is, you won't know until you try them out, personally.
The fun answer is they add variety to the team.
The min/max answer is, they aren't worth it.

DE Runnerdipity: Look for something, find something else, and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs than what you thought you were looking for.

the_Sage

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2014 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I like MA. I also like passing skills. I even like my AG6 assassin. I'll go hide now.

*I think the main reason I like runners is that over 122 games, my main delf team (which was my first and only real team for a long time) has had only 3 runners, all with AG5.

On tabletop I now have a +ST +AG runner, whom I gave wrestle, to be followed by tackle and leap. With AG5, no dodge, no block, and no sure hands, dump-off is actually a pretty good skill to save your balls. =)

(also I still hope to one day have my dumpoff be intercepted by the guy blitzing me, only to wrestle him down, causing a turnover)

Last edited by the_Sage on %b %09, %2014 - %20:%Jul; edited 4 times in total
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2014 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Also..
These are fun:
https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=9936925
https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=9936926

mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2014 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=9421821

This is my favorite runner. I would much prefer his skills on a MA 7 AV 7 player than a MA 6 AV 8 player because I can mostly avoid allowing him to get hit and he has the skills to marginalize the chance of being knocked down. I can recall 2 games where either runner's dump off skill was valuable or utilized though.

Still though having blitzers under the guise of runners proves to be a lot of fun.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2014 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Jimmy is right. (D'uh.) Very Happy
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2014 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe, dont say that you will be added to his list of shame Razz

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2014 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Why, I would be in good company, alas, I'm not overly concerned. Wink
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2014 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Jimmy is always right when he doesn't go left..

Wait, what?

gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2014 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:

...stuff

(also I still hope to one day have my dumpoff be intercepted by the guy blitzing me, only to wrestle him down, causing a turnover)

^ +1

Jump to: