43 coaches online • Server time: 21:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post DIBBL Awardsgoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Roland

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Throweck wrote:
I use the top link HERE

I am sure it wasn't there a while ago when I was first trying to get IRC up and running.

+1

I haven't got any other IRC software to work really.

IRC was actually easier to use back in 2004 iirc.

So IRC itself has become more difficult imo, but getting games easier thanks to GF and scheduler Razz
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah. Now I get it.

That link should probably be the one used the the main Community | Chat link.
Rather than the link to the applet that is now blocked.

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Rather than the link to the applet that is now blocked.

works for me
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it might be a java thing.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 07:37 Reply with quote Back to top

The Java Chat wasn't working for me either for months due to Java security changes but I checked now and it is running, though there is still a Java warning that it is an unsigned application and will be blocked (again) in a future Java version.

IRC was definitely good when waiting in between Box draws etc or discussing skill picks and random nonsense. A chat integrated into the site directly would be great.

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 08:01 Reply with quote Back to top

A java or web based chat system built into the site would be the solution to this problem and very awesome.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 08:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
I have no intention of removing IRC. What I want to do is to improve the layout of the gamefinder to make it better overall. In particular, I am exploring a way to do direct communication on the site (like a simple version of Facebook and Google's chat offerings).

Potentially, I'll also add some form of group chat on the site as well, but maybe only if I can find a reasonable way to do this and have it integrate with the IRC chat.

Mind you, this is long-term stuff so don't hold your breath.

Can we submit wishlists? Wink

If so, how about the option to stop certain teams and coaches from popping back up all the time?

A maximum number of teams per coach LFG at the same time would also be great!

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 08:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
Christer wrote:
I have no intention of removing IRC. What I want to do is to improve the layout of the gamefinder to make it better overall. In particular, I am exploring a way to do direct communication on the site (like a simple version of Facebook and Google's chat offerings).

Potentially, I'll also add some form of group chat on the site as well, but maybe only if I can find a reasonable way to do this and have it integrate with the IRC chat.

Can we submit wishlists? Wink

If so, how about the option to stop certain teams and coaches from popping back up all the time?

A maximum number of teams per coach LFG at the same time would also be great!

+1
5 teams would be a great number to LFG at a time
or
just a way to keep a team you have already "Red-listed" from popping back as a possible match-up for 30 minutes
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 09:12 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
The Java Chat wasn't working for me either for months due to Java security changes but I checked now and it is running, though there is still a Java warning that it is an unsigned application and will be blocked (again) in a future Java version.

I am pretty sure that at one point it was completely unusable. Now it seems to be complaining about security settings.

If I could lower security settings to allow the thing to run would that even be a good idea?

I have just had a look and I don't even seem to have the option to go lower than "high" security.

So, I don't think it is worth wasting any more time on.

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

OMG are you guys blind? Christer just practically announced selling FUMBBL to Facebook! First Facebook integration for "direct communication on the site", next thing you know, he'll retire with a fat cheque (easily $5000!!) and our eternal animosity. Wink

Loss of IRC is indeed a tad sad but it's just collateral damage, perhaps even fixable.

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:

5 teams would be a great number to LFG at a time

Then there would probably be cool coaches (and also league/tournament opponents) on gamefinder that you would not be able to see.

And cherries too of course. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 09:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:

Direct communication is nice. I do look for people on irc before deciding to send a PM.
What I (and I think many others) miss much more, is the active buzzing #fumbbl chatroom. Having a main chat in a more accessible (in-browser default-logged in when on the site?) format would be epic. Also sounds like quite a lot of work. Integrated with irc would be the best of both worlds, I guess. =)
polemarch

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 09:51 Reply with quote Back to top

As one of the #SWLers bemoaning the current gamer finder and IRC, I have to put my two bobs worth in here.

At the times which best fit SWL play, the game finder is almost dead and even if I tick every possible game on offer, the chances of getting a game is zilch. I am not putting CPOMB bash team up, but I am not interested in only having rookie teams up either just to get a game.

Getting games when IRC was active was much easier during the best SWL times and if someone is on IRC it is still easier to arrange a game if you see they are LFG but not biting.

The whole issue, which I am sure Christer is aware off, is the fact that the current game finder is all or nothing. Without a chat interface you can't ask a potential opponent why they won't agree to a game despite being on the list for 20+min.
Evil or Very Mad Embarassed

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 10:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think this is the biggest problem. The biggest problem for the smaller divisions and the unpopular time periods; is not being aware of what games are available.

You might put 5 teams up on GF that you want to play with, however there could be a team on GF you have a perfect match for and would take that game no problem. However, as you have no idea that teams is looking for a game, you leave the perfect match team off of finder. This is your biggest problem.

Also, good matches aren't always matches. I've mentioned before the time that The_Sage had a great match for a team of mine. However his team was matched against a different team of mine, and vice versa. So we used a game name I think.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

One of the most frustrating things I find people who play in tournaments but refuse to go to the IRC. (That is the majority these days.)

Tournament games didn't use to be a problem, I just had to wait for somebody to pop up in the IRC and vice versa I could find them there.

Now, you essentially have to schedule, there is no way you can just run into each other. I can't even remmeber when I successfully used the IRC for that the last time, although I still often ask, especially when it comes to the more difficult people, but obviously especially them don't want to use IRC.

If I could make a feature request, I'd ask to at least get the tourney games on par with regular ranked play and to get rid of game names for that...

they really serve no purpose in scheduled matches..
 Jump to: