37 coaches online • Server time: 09:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
licker

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2016 - 22:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
I'd not recommend concealing the chat since your opponent may occasionally say something important.

gl hf and gg...

More that if you don't say anything some people will think you're an anti-social a-hole Wink

But sure, sometimes your opponent will say 'sry, have to get the phone, back in 10'

*shrug*
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2016 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:

But sure, sometimes your opponent will say 'sry, have to get the phone, back in 10'

*shrug*

That or... 'hold on, there is a bug, stop moving'.
Or.. there is a site downtime scheduled in 2 minutes...
or... 'dude you have 1 minute left to move, if you keep being silent I'll time you'
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2016 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:
I've played plenty of games against non human opponents, but not many as good as Blood Bowl. I look forward to the future Blood bowl artificial intelligence. That would raise the level of play. Similar to chess.

Hard to imagine someone making a really tough AI for BB but you never know.
I usually find playing with a real person far, far more enjoyable.

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2016 - 23:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Sometimes your opponent will say things like

'Hey dude, how's it going?'

or

'Where you from?'

or

'Did you see the <insert thing he saw> last night?'

Very very rarely do they actually say mean things though, and sometimes they do complain about the dice.

Probably the best thing to do is not hide the chat until after you have established what kind of person they are.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2016 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Heck look at the first couple of paragraphs of the OPs profile. Plays slowly but times others out and doesn't like to see chat box..

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2016 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:

I've played plenty of games against non human opponents, but not many as good as Blood Bowl. I look forward to the future Blood bowl artificial intelligence. That would raise the level of play. Similar to chess.

So a couple things. Chess has 100s of years of games as a backdrop of what makes a good opening; analysis by the AI doesn't start until you get "out of the book". Chess also has only 1 move per turn which results in an absolute position; BB has a probability that the turn will end in an absolute position with a fail, and a chance that play continues. This is VERY hard to code and reasonable players would argue about what move is the next good move. Chess also has no timer which as you watch a chess algorithm cycle through the possible moves, you'll notice that difficulty is set by how long it searches out the possible outcomes OF ONE MOVE. BB searches are complicated by the 4 minute timer.

As a result, it is very easy to see why the BB AI would blow by comparison to a chess AI. I have no hope that a BB AI would ever be challenging, nor would I want anyone to waste their valuable time trying to code such a thing, especially considering that everyone always thinks they have rule tweaks that would render the prior BB AI obsolete... and I haven't even mentioned the variability that comes from skill combinations...
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 00:25 Reply with quote Back to top

krytie wrote:
Start complaining whenever you roll more than you needed to - Aw man i just wasted another 6 on a 3+ roll :'(

I love it! I might actually try this! Very Happy

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello. I am new, but I'm not a nice person. My main problem with blood bowl is that there's another person also playing it. Now, random forum peoples, help me solve my problem, preferably without talking to me.

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 01:18 Reply with quote Back to top

DarthPhysicist wrote:

As a result, it is very easy to see why the BB AI would blow by comparison to a chess AI. I have no hope that a BB AI would ever be challenging, nor would I want anyone to waste their valuable time trying to code such a thing,

Ah now don't be mean. When you approach an AI for BB you simply have to approach the game in a similar way a human wood. The chess method of 'thinking all possible moves through' is not a remotely viable option.
Sure there could be a good AI, just not a flawless one.
Grods AI was build on move priorization. I think that is a good very basic approach to start.
It all depends on how well it is build in its human perspective.

My ideal AI if I ever had the time to focus on this would have several layers of 'conciousness' so to speak.
On the basic level I have a move prioritization where every move has a base probability. Priority should also be depenent on stats and skills not on positions.
Then those probabilities get modified by multipliers based on a 'higher' conciousnes that considers turn time and interacts via multipliers.
Ball posession.
Score.
An overimposed -realistic goal- algorythm that considers things like players left, sacking threat and so on that can set various priority modes from -score imidiatly- -to score securely- to -stall it out-. And so on.
Cavetroll

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 01:55 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:
Hello. I am new, but I'm not a nice person. My main problem with blood bowl is that there's another person also playing it. Now, random forum peoples, help me solve my problem, preferably without talking to me.

Laughing

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 02:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:
Call me unfriendly, but is it possible to remove chat in game, so I no longer see messages, either permanently, or on demand i.e. 'right click - block' etc?

If not, it would be a nice addition, because I try to avoid unlucky moaning people when I can. For me, the moaning takes away some fun from the game, and sadly the moaning is all too common.

Thanks,

All the best

you are unfriendly

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 02:41 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
Heck look at the first couple of paragraphs of the OPs profile. Plays slowly but times others out and doesn't like to see chat box..

sounds like a fun dude

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 02:44 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
Desultory wrote:
Call me unfriendly, but is it possible to remove chat in game, so I no longer see messages, either permanently, or on demand i.e. 'right click - block' etc?

If not, it would be a nice addition, because I try to avoid unlucky moaning people when I can. For me, the moaning takes away some fun from the game, and sadly the moaning is all too common.

Thanks,

All the best

you are unfriendly
I was thinking the same thing
Quite frankly, I don't believe I'd accept a match from the OP
Tymless

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 03:20 Reply with quote Back to top

You are unfriendly. No their is no way to remove chat.

It would be a stupid addition and you need to accept that sometimes you wont enjoy your games.

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 03:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
An overimposed -realistic goal- algorythm that considers things like players left, sacking threat and so on that can set various priority modes from -score imidiatly- -to score securely- to -stall it out-. And so on.

That might surprise you as difficult to do well. The Cyanide AIs basically do that... and they are garbage. Appreciated garbage, but garbage none-the-less.
 Jump to: