26 coaches online • Server time: 07:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post New Team Page Beta
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 06:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd second Undead - it has some forgiveness on most players given regen but you learn to respect how fragile AG7 is, you've got easy inroads to guard players, can give the boot a shot and see how you like it.

Orcs, I don't know if they're good for teaching the game. I win with them in spite of being kinda rudimentary with my positioning.
licker

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 07:34 Reply with quote Back to top

ahalfling wrote:

Quote:
(on orcs) Just stay away from the troll and goblins to start.

If you're new, learning to manage negatraits is important. And it's not that difficult -- keep a guy next to the troll for the RS roll, don't hit with him until last, etc.

It's not an issue of managing the nega-trait, it's that the troll doesn't provide much of anything to the orc team in most matchups. He's slow, and he's a loner. Really stupid is just on top of that, but Orcs just don't need him, so why bother?

ahalfling wrote:
I'd never take an orc lineman over a goblin, personally -- the lineman costs more and can do fewer things. The goblin gives you mobility and dodging that you wouldn't otherwise have, and the lineman doesn't do anything that your other players don't do much better. The goblin is more fragile, but does that matter on a team that can always afford to replace injuries?

Being fragile is a huge issue. Orcs have it much harder when they are down players IN GAME. I don't care how much bank you can save, as your gobblins get picked off you will find your positions that much worse. Gobblins also are pretty useless on defense, and while stunty is kind of nice for emergency things, they still provide less utility than a line orc who's job it is to take punches, gum up the position and land fouls. Ok, so a rookie gobbo is a better fouler, but a one skill line orc is a much better fouler. Imagine rolling doubles on them too.

Guard line orc? Of course you'd like that, probably one of the best value linemen with a double. Double on a gobblin? Block sounds sexy, but meh, it's not. Dirty player is sexy, but it costs you 30k and the guy still gets sent off ~1/3 of the time. Gueard on a gobblin? Ok, sure, that's fun, but he will get smacked more for it anyway.

AV7 on a team which can be 100% AV9? Play to your strength, not to try to cover up a weakness with half measures.
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 08:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I think we just don't agree on either of these topics at all. (I don't intend to pursue it beyond that, for fear of hijacking the thread.)

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 08:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Not Elves of any type. Elves are expensive players because they have good statistics. What you want is a team that start with lots of reroll saving skills. High AV is also useful.
Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 08:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Orcs is the way to go.

You get to try out big guys, its easy to make 2 dice blocks,you get block, surehands and pass straight off the bat (not that you should pass, but at least you can try it out),and you can even take a goblin to try throwing team mates out. Cheapish rerolls as well. On top of that, orcs are reasonably competitive.

Oscar Wilde
fidius

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 08:50 Reply with quote Back to top

While all this is true, I myself have played precisely 8 games with Orcs ever, because I find them excruciatingly boring. I doubt most people feel this way, but there it is.
tussock

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 09:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Humans.

They have enough AV to just stand up all game, but still get hurt enough to notice.
They have enough MA to get around and hit any bad positioning, but are mostly slow and can't.
They have throwers and catchers just clumsy enough to teach you not to pass.
They have the right AG to teach you to blitz instead of dodge, always.
They have a squishy little vulnerable catcher to teach you to screen off the blitzes properly.

It's all good. Then you work out which bit you enjoy the most, the running, the throwing, the bashing, and you take a team that's better at that bit of the game. Or you play stunties for a hundred games because if you're going to lose you can at least blame the team. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all of the great responses guys! After looking through it all and reading up a bit online I've decided to try out Dark Elves. I think I'll start with 4 blitzers, 6 Linemen and two re-rolls. Next I'll get a Apo and some Witch Elves I think.

Speaking of Dark Elves, do I put the Blitzers on the LoS to punch down lighter apponent or do I just fill the LoS with Liners to take punches?
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Falkmund wrote:
Thanks for all of the great responses guys! After looking through it all and reading up a bit online I've decided to try out Dark Elves.

Did any experienced coaches suggest DE? (Edit: I guess they did). In my mind that wasn't the right thing to do; but in the long run it's best to learn everything so few races are a disastrous choice.
Falkmund

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 12:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I think I messed up here, so I accidentially applied for both Club 145 and 145 Rookie/Open League with my new dark elf team Glory to the Spider Queen, when I only intended to join the Rookie/Open League because I'm guessing that you can't join both with one team.

Speaking of which, how long does it take to be accepted into a league and is it hard to find a game?

Sorry for all of the dumb questions...
NickNutria

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Wood Elves would be your team, if you like passing and catching. It can be very rewarding, but it is also risky. And you will loose players quite often due to AV 7. Play what seems best for your playstyle. That way you'll find out for yourself what team fits your playstyle best.
If that doesn't work out try other teams and other tactics. Undead and Amazons are quite good starter teams too.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Falkmund wrote:
Speaking of Dark Elves, do I put the Blitzers on the LoS to punch down lighter apponent or do I just fill the LoS with Liners to take punches?
Kicking or receiving?

The kicking team sets up first. The receiving team goes first. If you're kicking, put up your three cheapest linos to take the hits. If you're receiving, usually the other guy will put up their three cheapest players (not always), and if you can set up to knock them down, well, that's what you should do.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I always hear undead are a good starter team leader, but I lose with them more often than I lose with humans.
Nextflux

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 14:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Orcs are good to start with, high av as one reason, ok speed though not great, can pick up the ball and try ball handling/throwing though its not recommended, race is strong enough to bash in a few teeths too.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

bretonians