21 coaches online • Server time: 01:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post My 1st Blackbox tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
legowarrior

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2011 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

How about Thick Skull on the Tomb Guardians? Also, can Pythrr and Shadow take the lovers quarrell somewhere else?
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2011 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I doubt it, they're exhibitionists. Shocked

Great to see all this talk on revamping the rules. I think it is therapeutic for all of us geeks with our pent up ideas to let them out.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2011 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

plasmoid wrote:
Hi PurpleChest,
For the record though, I'm a veteran TT coach with a lot of games under my belt. Tournament organizer and player too. But, importantly, I do have experience with open league play from the MBBL. Maybe not 'vast', but we've got 100 teams. Not FUMBBL, but a far cry from '6 guys in a pub'.

Cheers
Martin

It's true, you have some good ideas in the modifications but more people would have enthusiasm for it if you spent some time playing in Blackbox or League here for example.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2011 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

legowarrior wrote:
How about Thick Skull on the Tomb Guardians? Also, can Pythrr and Shadow take the lovers quarrell somewhere else?

We would, but your mother is already in the room with some fat bloke.

<Oh no, you didn't!>

Oh yes I did! Yo momma...!
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2011 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
I doubt it, they're exhibitionists. Shocked

Great to see all this talk on revamping the rules. I think it is therapeutic for all of us geeks with our pent up ideas to let them out.

Geeks talking about what will never happen. Have I got lost and ended up in the United Nations building?
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2011 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, while we're on the topic of new rules, I might as well put forth my thoughts on fouling. This is a combination of LRB 4 & 6 rules with some small tweaks thrown in. Here goes:

/flame retardant fire suit enabled---

1. IGMEOY rules from LRB4 return as they were written except that;
a. You can not argue an ejection, but you can instead use a bribe with a 2+ roll to stay in the game.
b. The fouler receivers a +1 to armour only if the fouler is not in a TZ.
c. Each assisting or defending player only adds or subtracts 1 if they are not in a TZ.
d. In keeping with bigger numbers being better, a roll of 1 means you are caught (not 6) and you need a 4+ with the eye on you.

2. Dirty Player (skill): returns to a +2, but ONLY on injury rolls. This player is really good at knowing where to hit an opponent to hurt them and will go straight for those spots on instinct.

3. Sneaky Git: This player is an expert at getting away with cheap shots. The sneaky git skill gives a +1 to armour OR a +1 on the roll to be spotted by the referee. A SG player can not be ejected for fouling without the eye, if they roll a 1 they can not apply the +1 to armour, but are not ejected. (Yes, this breaks the 1 always fails rule, so what.) If they foul with the eye they can use the +1 on a roll of 3 to beat the 4+ roll to not be seen or use it on armour if they roll a natural 4+. On a 1 or 2 they get caught.

Additionally, a SG player gives a +1 assist for fouls, even in a TZ.

I think this would bring back the strategy of fouling with a slightly revised IGMEOY, while retaining the new (and I think improved) Sneaky Git and a more balanced DP. I think that by breaking up the armour (SG) and injury (DP) it makes it more difficult to get an all-round utility fouler and makes them more important. The eye makes it more strategic and less blind luck.

Last edited by WhatBall on %b %23, %2011 - %19:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2011 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
legowarrior wrote:

<Oh no, you didn't!>

We know the fat bloke is shadow so that makes you...

HIS momma! Laughing
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2011 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
pythrr wrote:
legowarrior wrote:

<Oh no, you didn't!>

We know the fat bloke is shadow so that makes you...

HIS momma! Laughing

I am your ... mother... Luke!
plasmoid

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2011 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to the posters behind the 10% posts that are actually on subject.
I hope to write proper replies over the weekend, where I have a bit more time.
t0tem

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2011 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

what about thanking all of us who didn't reply at all even though we did think of lots of fun and more or less off-topic flame stuff to throw in here? surely we deserve mention.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2011 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
his suggestions on fouling

I'm all for improving fouling and making tactical fouling an important and dangerous part of the game again. No more laying down without fear.

However LRB 4 fouling did seem overpowered and to dominant. I don't think you minor tweak of +2 DP only on injury would stop DP filled Khemri teams returning - DP would still be far to strong Vs low AV teams IMO.

I do like the idea of making DP & SG more stackable, so that 1 or 2 foulers in a team can be carefully built valuable players with a key roll. Making it difficult and inefficient to mass-produce teams full of them, but well worth while to have at least one to use calculating and sparingly.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2011 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the constructive feedback Kinks. I can see where you are coming from.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2011 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
Ok, while we're on the topic of new rules, I might as well put forth my thoughts on fouling. This is a combination of LRB 4 & 6 rules with some small tweaks thrown in. Here goes:

/flame retardant fire suit enabled---

1. IGMEOY rules from LRB4 return as they were written except that;
a. You can not argue an ejection, but you can instead use a bribe with a 2+ roll to stay in the game.
b. The fouler receivers a +1 to armour only if the fouler is not in a TZ.
c. Each assisting or defending player only adds or subtracts 1 if they are not in a TZ.
d. In keeping with bigger numbers being better, a roll of 1 means you are caught (not 6) and you need a 4+ with the eye on you.

2. Dirty Player (skill): returns to a +2, but ONLY on injury rolls. This player is really good at knowing where to hit an opponent to hurt them and will go straight for those spots on instinct.

3. Sneaky Git: This player is an expert at getting away with cheap shots. The sneaky git skill gives a +1 to armour OR a +1 on the roll to be spotted by the referee. A SG player can not be ejected for fouling without the eye, if they roll a 1 they can not apply the +1 to armour, but are not ejected. (Yes, this breaks the 1 always fails rule, so what.) If they foul with the eye they can use the +1 on a roll of 3 to beat the 4+ roll to not be seen or use it on armour if they roll a natural 4+. On a 1 or 2 they get caught.

Additionally, a SG player gives a +1 assist for fouls, even in a TZ.

I think this would bring back the strategy of fouling with a slightly revised IGMEOY, while retaining the new (and I think improved) Sneaky Git and a more balanced DP. I think that by breaking up the armour (SG) and injury (DP) it makes it more difficult to get an all-round utility fouler and makes them more important. The eye makes it more strategic and less blind luck.

One of the key reasons fouling was changed was to reduce dice rolls and help stream-line the board game. I know that in a software application, you can pretty much get as complex as you want, but it doesn't change the fact that this is still (first and foremost) a board game.

I'm also not a fan of +2 injury rolls, pretty much ever. DP is fine as the foul version of MB, getting that extra hit each turn is worth the risk... you don't need for it to be so powerful that it becomes a no-brainer... especially a skill that is easy to get and needs no other skills to be effective.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2011 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Problem I had with DP in the old game was not its ingame impact but its out of game impact. Make it like bloodlust now and limit it ti BH and people may not shy away from playing teams heavily laden with it.
Kinks

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2011 - 00:45 Reply with quote Back to top

@Wraith, I don't believe "getting that extra hit each turn is worth the risk". Who would do a block if it had a 17-30% chance of your own player being effectively badly hurt?

Risking having a player sent off, selecting and isolating your target and committing players to assist whilst . I've seen many players foul recklessly (Paul Hicks Razz) in LRB 4 to there own disadvantage. I would hardly call it a no-brainer.

@stej, Sounds like your [R] head talking Razz. Wouldn't reducing the amount of practical DP's on a team have a similar effect - less effective foulers = less effective fouls = less long term team damage. However, making those few effective would make them a valuable part of the game. (PS. if they were used to take out C-POMB 7 POMB players they could actually reduce some of the bashing Wink)