34 coaches online • Server time: 13:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post DIBBL Awardsgoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you think that timeout:
Should be always called without any warning
13%
 13%  [ 24 ]
Should be always called but never the first time (1 warning max)
17%
 17%  [ 31 ]
Should be called only if happen too often in a game
40%
 40%  [ 72 ]
Should be never called
11%
 11%  [ 20 ]
Each coach should agree before the match how to manage the timeout csll
8%
 8%  [ 15 ]
Pie!!!!
10%
 10%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 180

JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: May 23, 2023 - 16:27 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
JimmyFantastic wrote:
koadah wrote:
Last game on Fumbbl 2017-10-25.

Whadaya mean we didn't change the locks? Twisted Evil

I might play again with resizeable client!

What with streaming and everything? Shocked

Yep
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: May 23, 2023 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Raging_glacier wrote:
What would be really handy is if say a 30 second warning went off before the Timeout button became live.

Great idea, I'd hate to miss the opportunity to time someone out instantly!
awambawamb

Post   Posted: May 23, 2023 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

End of discussion, no?

I'm pretty sure nobody ever reached 3min turn in OBBA/KPL

smeborg

Post   Posted: May 24, 2023 - 06:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I dislike timed turns altogether. Turns are by their nature very uneven in length (e.g. the first action of a turn is quad skulls).

I think a much better system is the equivalent of a chess clock for the whole match (anything you do is on your time, including setting up, what you do in your opponent's turn, e.g. Sidestepping, not using Dodge, Fend, etc.). And this sort of system may well result in quicker games overall.

Play the easy turns quickly, be allowed extra time for the tricky turns. Games become more creative and pleasing.

Once every player has taken an action, I think the FUMBBL client could automatically End Turn, rather than have the coach click on the button (assuming no Wizard etc.). That would save time.
RDaneel

Post   Posted: May 24, 2023 - 08:30 Reply with quote Back to top

smeborg wrote:
I dislike timed turns altogether. Turns are by their nature very uneven in length (e.g. the first action of a turn is quad skulls).

I think a much better system is the equivalent of a chess clock for the whole match (anything you do is on your time, including setting up, what you do in your opponent's turn, e.g. Sidestepping, not using Dodge, Fend, etc.). And this sort of system may well result in quicker games overall.

+1
A sort of Fischer’s clock : every coach start with something like 20”true” mins to complete your 8 turn of 1st half
This is in average 2’30” for each turn (including the usage of reply movement as usage of APO or Fend etch) and grant a match will not go beyond 90 mins (80 mons true time plus something of setup)
If you complete a turn in 1 mins you add the extra time saved to the “stack”
Something like this
This allow you to safe some time for some complicated turn (usually the one at the end of the drive) and will grant that a match will not withstand too much

The starting budget time can be evaluated of course , the goal is that a match should not go beyond 90 mins in average
And still is competitive (in Chess se real tournaments ara organized in this way)
Very good proposal

P.s) in case you empty your time poll
In chess the game is lost
In blood bowl maybe is too hard we can decide that in case time pill is empty you have only 10 seconds to make the turn then timeout will be automatic . But several options can be evaluated
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: May 24, 2023 - 08:49 Reply with quote Back to top

RDaneel wrote:
In blood bowl maybe is too hard we can decide that in case time pill is empty you have only 10 seconds to make the turn then timeout will be automatic . But several options can be evaluated

There is already a protocol here:
You turn from stunned to prone any stunned players and you end your turn.

Last edited by ArrestedDevelopment on %b %21, %2023 - %22:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
Irgy

Post   Posted: May 24, 2023 - 09:16 Reply with quote Back to top

My general metarule in games is, I don't care what the rules are so long as both/all people are playing the same rules. As soon as people start saying "you can do this, but you shouldn't" then someone's written the rules wrong. The fact that the poll is so evenly split is another terrible sign, and the fact that the only option that at least got a half good following is also the one that's still totally subjective is even worse.

Technically, my opinion is that if the rule is that you can press timeout whenever the hell you want, including waiting until the ball carrier is half way through moving*, then that's the rule, and anyone who does anything less unfriendly is a chump. I just also think it's a terrible option and I'm glad I play exclusively in a league that doesn't use the timeout button at all.

* I don't even know if this is a thing because, well, see above. Does it at least let you finish the current action or not?
RDaneel

Post   Posted: May 24, 2023 - 10:15 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
RDaneel wrote:

There is already a protocol here:
You stand up any players who were prone and you end your turn.

yes it is reasonable.
RDaneel

Post   Posted: May 24, 2023 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Irgy wrote:
My general metarule in games is, I don't care what the rules are so long as both/all people are playing the same rules. As soon as people start saying "you can do this, but you shouldn't" then someone's written the rules wrong.

You have a kernel of truth in what you say although to be precise (I'm nitpicking now!! Very Happy) a timeout rule does not really exist

In the sense that 4 mins Timeout causing turnover is not a rule. It hasn't been in any G&W rulebook for at least more than 20 years (the last time it was in the rules was the 1996 Blood Bowl rules) since then it has been taken out of the rulebook . So the decision to set a timeout at 4 minutes is not a rule of the BB2020 G&W BloodBowl but of the league commissioner - who could decide 3 minutes or 5 minutes or no timeout- and the decision to press or not this button is strictly personal.
So No rule. And also No any FUMBBL site rule btw (apart from the rule on the site not to play deliberately slow, but going four minutes out of every seven turns is not playing deliberately slow if the other seven turns you played in less than 2 or 3 minutes for example !)

This is where misunderstandings arise because those who say "I'm going to timeout you without mercy because there is the button and it doesn't say I have to warn you" are perfectly right, as are those who say that a "well-behaved player should at least warn before the timeout" or even those who say "you should never press this button!"

It is precisely the absence of a timeout regulation that generates all these discussions and such a varied poll.

PLEASE before you crucify me:This is not a criticism of the league commissioner or site admin (Christer : whom I will thank for the rest of my life for creating this site, God bless him).
I too would have a problem with a timeout policy if I were the commissioner of a league. The poll was meant to find out what people think, and seems from the poll that is a Gaussian trend with only 10% extreme (timeout without mercy vs never timeout) the rest is more or less more soft.... (even is the statistical samples is not very large 100 coach on thousands... anyway)

Which I hope will be useful to the Commissioner in evaluating possible update future policies on timeout
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 24, 2023 - 11:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Irgy wrote:
* I don't even know if this is a thing because, well, see above. Does it at least let you finish the current action or not?

If the time out if enforced while the player is moving, for example, the movement can be carried on and finished normally, it doesn't end in an abrupt way.
If the time out is enforced before the player starts an action then they can't perform it at all and the turn ends immediately.

smeborg wrote:

I'm not against an overall time pool you can spend as you like, just an observation. In case of Time-Out Kick-Off event (the one adding or subtracting a turn) the overall time pool should be increased/decreased to make up for the extra turn you have to play/you don't.
I don't know whether is technically possible to make a "smart" game clock adding extra time in case of Time-Out Kick-Off event.
If not possible then the hard timed turns of 4 minutes (or another amount, that's open to debate) could be better.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: May 24, 2023 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

The timeout rule does not exist.
Christer created something to counter possible deliberately malicious behaviours for the online version (i.e. afking). But that's a a tool at best, and a houserule at worst.
Now, just because the tool is there, some people want to use it like a club.

Joy.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2023 - 11:58 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Christer created something to counter possible deliberately malicious behaviours for the online versione (i.e. afking). But that's a houserule.
Now people want to be fascist about a houserule.

Joy.

It was completely a rule in CRP, I do not know why people make this revisionist history. That is the reason the client has the rule in the first place (there are various threads debating adding it on the forums from circa 2011).

You can find it on page 7, point 5 under turnovers if you still have the rules to hand.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2023 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
JanMattys wrote:
Christer created something to counter possible deliberately malicious behaviours for the online versione (i.e. afking). But that's a houserule.
Now people want to be fascist about a houserule.

Joy.

It was completely a rule in CRP, I do not know why people make this revisionist history. That is the reason the client has the rule in the first place (there are various threads debating adding it on the forums from circa 2011).

You can find it on page 7, point 5 under turnovers if you still have the rules to hand.

We are not playing the CRP. We are playing bb2020. The crp was in 2013. It's 2023. It's two rulesets ago.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2023 - 12:03 Reply with quote Back to top

AFKing is still possible with the current time out button. Just don't kick-off the ball and the game gets stuck until admin's intervention.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: May 24, 2023 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

edited.

Last edited by JanMattys on %b %24, %2023 - %12:%May; edited 2 times in total
 Jump to: