34 coaches online • Server time: 15:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PainState

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2009 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem with majors and making them regional to increase participation from North AMerica and Australia is this.

I do not know how many coaches outside of Europe apply for the majors. My first example of spliting qualifier groups up by region might blow up because lets say in Australia only 6 coaches apply and 27 apply from North America. With out knowing the make up of lets say the last 10 majors and a break down by those three regions, your quess is as good as mine on what the appropriate and proper break down should be.

Lets just say it is a subject we would like to explore and address to increase participation but very hard to accomplish in a fair and even manner. It will take some work and ideas but I think we could figure it out if that is the direction PC wants to go with one of the Majors.

Last edited by PainState on %b %31, %2009 - %19:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2009 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

i can name quite a bit off the top of my head from NA that apply to every major pretty regularly...

while euros may have the most applicants, i think the split might not be as big as you may think..

--j

ImageImage
MadTias

Post 14 Posted: Dec 10, 2009 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
words

Excellent. Keep up the good work. I have perfect confidence that you and the rest of the tournament team will make 2010 an even more exciting year.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2009 - 23:39 Reply with quote Back to top

With having a few different SCHEDULED SMACK "locations" available it could increase the number of Smacks played by coaches from all locations. I see lots of Euro players regularly online at times that could be considered late at night for people from the America's at all nights of the week. These coaches might very well like the option to enter Euro Time Zone SMACKS and America's Time Zone SMACKS.

Coaches like myself who work early in the mornings (5am-2pm in US EST) have no trouble scheduling European coaches and could easily play in both Euro and American SMACKS. I usually have more trouble scheduling and playing coaches from California than I do Germany due to my schedule and the time difference.

Surely there are several people on Fumbbl with schedules that place them online regularly at various hours that don't fit the norm for their country. An option of a Time Zone for SMACKS could very well be the key for increased participation.

I don't think that this is a good idea for Majors though except for maybe the opening round of a Swiss Style Tournament. People could stress their favored timezone (or timezones) for such a tournament. Those of us that are just as likely to be able to play in 2 timezones could be assigned our spots last when scheduling to balance out the pools.
Mightypeon

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2009 - 14:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Considering the "Kill a player each game" for the LC suggestion: No thnx.
Apart from the obvious issue with having 10 players left for the final (which would be a huge advantadge to everyone capable of having multiple stars), and apart from encouraging weird stuff (am I supposed to kill my own rookies to prevent sacrifices? Quite weird too if you ask me)
I can only imagine how potential enemies will shiver at the sight of Lizards without any experienced Saurus in the Final.
Not to mention Ogres. "You have 3 Ogres left and none of them has Block".

You could create something like extra winnings for each player surfed into the "sacrificial pits" also known as sidelanes (maybe even have auto Cas for everyone beeing surfed), but something like killing players between games without any potential for intervention is nuts.

I mean, it would still be played, but none of the Famous teams will show up.
Mightypeon

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2009 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

To rephrase my thoughts: Lets say you take a nice team and remove the 6 best players. This team will have a high chance of beeing instantly retired. Also, to me it doenst make much sense to punish the 2nd placed more than someone who went out in round 1.
Also, wins by default would become even stronger.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2009 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to say the idea of qualifiers for different timezones is quite interesting. I didn't like it at first sight, but it's starting to grow on me.

You could get a proper Fumbbl World Cup kind of thing going where countries or continents have their own qualifiers and then send their best off to compete against the champions of other qualies.

Should be a great mechanism to boost the smacktalk at least!

I do by the way realise it would be a nightmare to organise, but then again, I'm not on the majors team Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2009 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Well Mightypeon, look at it this way: You`d get gold inbetween to replace your losses. Also your opponent also has good players removed. So you will have a not-that-strong, yet full roster. If it would be possible, I`d also rule out stars, as they could unbalance things alot. But it is a nice measure against teams that have been uber lucky with skill rolls and have developed one or 2 players that just prove to be unstoppable. Looking at the Combo-Bulls of recent majors, that could be a nice change.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2009 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't like it at all.

Removing the best player from a team has such a different effect on each race. After 2 rounds any CD team would be playing with 2 rookie bulls, that until they have break tackle are basically 130k BoBs. That is a way bigger effect than removing 1 dorf, orc or elf.

I don't think those are the races that need a hand to be honest Smile

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2009 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly, and Elfs Humans etc. Have a way easier time of skilling up rookies than Sauri, Bobs or even Bull centaurs.
Basically, your proposal would seriously help Dorfs, Elfs, Humans and Orcs (who can still be strong with suboptimal Blackorcs since everyone else will be suboptimal too) while seriously hurting anyone else.

Also, Stompy dying on a gfi would be cool, stompy dieing on a gangfoul would be cooler, and Stompy dieing while 3 Dice Blocking a Rookie Goblin would be more cool than one could possibly imagine. Stompy dieing to some kind of event between games would be lame.
Mightypeon

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2009 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, you are arguing about removing the 6 best players, not just the best one, which is a huge difference.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2009 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

How about a sacrifice at the beginning for the final event?
Mightypeon

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2009 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

That could work, what I would find more fun would be to add a special prize for most persons surfed into the sideline Sacrificial Pit.
Would certainly be fluffy ;D
Zombie69

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2009 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Is that any worse than random pairing, which is what we have currently?

Malmir wrote:
Problem with that is they are unlikely to be evenly balanced so teams become advantaged or handicapped by location.

Zombie69 wrote:
PainState wrote:
OR

Lets just say the Lustrian since it seems to be the Major with the biggest image problem.

3 Group qualifier

Europe
North America
Australia

Depending on # of entrants in each group you break it down into sub groups to get to your final 16 teams. Weighted towards the largest group, which we all know will be Europe. This would be a qualifier group KO style event.

Then all 16 advance to the Main Draw.

How about if you really want to help out coaches from outside Europe, for all qualifiers in all tournaments (and for the final draw itself) you put all the North American coaches at the top, the Europeans in the middle and the Australians at the bottom. That way, you maximize the number of rounds that people will be able to play others of the same time zone as themselves before they have to play against people from different time zones.
Zombie69

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2009 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to make it clear what i'm saying, i'm not talking about splitting the brackets according to location (this can be done as well in some cases, but it's trickier). What i'm talking about is distributing people inside of each bracket according to location. Maybe it can even be automated. A tool could look at the location in a coach profile, and sort coaches from -9 GMT to +14 GMT.

For example, let's say that you have a 32 team KO tournament. the first 7 teams could be from North America, the next 22 could be from Europe and the last 3 from Australia / New Zealand. If an automated system is used that works by time zone rather than region, the first 2 might be from the West coast, the next 2 from Central, the next 3 from the East coast, then 3 from GMT-1, 10 from GMT, 9 from GMT+1, and 3 from Australia.

This way, people get to play against coaches close to their time zones for as many rounds as possible before having to play against coaches from further away, and a coach from North America for example wouldn't have to play against someone from Australia until the final.

I think that would encourage participation from North Americans and Australians a lot.
 Jump to: