64 coaches online • Server time: 21:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I will be writing a guide to the community, which could be made available on the User Guide, or linked to at the bottom of the potential new 'quick start', if you all like it. Should I post it here, or start a new thread, when it is done?

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

I would prefer not having a drop down menu as I think they're horrid.

But that does look good WhatBall Smile

That is a fair point, having looked through all the drop down menus none of them really make a lot of sense, the links in the drop down menu do not really correspond to the title apart from Support.

A friend of mine that I introduced to the site recently didn't know where to find games for example. I had to talk him through clicking on games then game finder. Yes it takes 2 seconds to learn but as said by others its not the most intuative.

Macavity wrote:
I will be writing a guide to the community, which could be made available on the User Guide, or linked to at the bottom of the potential new 'quick start', if you all like it. Should I post it here, or start a new thread, when it is done?

Here seems like as good a place as any Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

As i am a noob, i can agree that at first glance the websites format was confusing. But as soon as i registered and realized i could change it and it was not an issue.

Im an Ex mmo gamer, joining FUMBBL was alot like joining a guild in a mmo, that has an established pecking order so for awhile (and as recommended) i just sat on the client at work and read peoples conversations (Creepy) before i ever decided to talk.

I feel though purplegoo that the problem here is that for most people fumbbl is there first experience into blood bowl, and yes there is a flashy video game now but i think the big thing is that they don't play in in real life first, they don't have some one sit down with them and explain them each rule as it happens. While this might seem unimportant (sure just go read the rulebook dummy) it is a big problem

that noted i think BB is GW's most brutal table top game, and can be very disheartening to a noob player who does not enjoy the fresh smell of defeat (just look at my track record). But the real issue i believe is that this is a community, not a company and when you feel responsible for updating and helping people at times it can become less fun and more of a second job. Fumbbl and BB in may ways cater to a more mature (at times) crowd.

if anything and in conclusion i think there should be a disclaimer, about the brutality and ethics of blood bowl we play video games now in a day and age were it is bizarre if you don't beat everything on very hard the 1st time through.

sorry this rambles i wrote it at work, apologies on grammar. but! fumbbl is a good community for those people who know how to integrate themselves into imaginary community's and i think we should expect people to spend time reading strats, how to's and do's and don't's - a last note, i think it might be worthy to pop in a thing about checking out a opponents blog/site to see what they are like before playing them and no one ever told me you could watch instant replays of successful teams to see what stuff works.

toodles
graham
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 17:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I also hate drop downs. I think by consolidating some of the current info and using the modules Christer is developing, we can make it nice and clean without needing drop downs.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Some great points Graham.

I think the initial beating you take and permanency of dead pixels is hard for some new players to take. Most are used to a reset button and winning with relative ease. Some wording to this effect would be helpful.

Hopefully [A]cademy will switch to FFB right after [B]ox if there are no issues. It is rather pointless at this point to send new players hunting for an old client that is being phased out. Easier access to [A] with the new client is a must.
MadTias

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

gjudd wrote:
that noted i think BB is GW's most brutal table top game, and can be very disheartening to a noob player who does not enjoy the fresh smell of defeat (just look at my track record).
if anything and in conclusion i think there should be a disclaimer, about the brutality and ethics of blood bowl we play video games now in a day and age were it is bizarre if you don't beat everything on very hard the 1st time through.

Second this - Blood Bowl is not a forgiving game for beginners, and an experienced coach can make short work of your newly created team. This should probably be told to new coaches early. The division info currently mentions this (noting Blackbox isn't for beginners, f.ex.) when you create a team, but this can be made clearer.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

MadTias wrote:
The division info currently mentions this (noting Blackbox isn't for beginners, f.ex.) when you create a team, but this can be made clearer.

Another good reason to transfer [A] to FFB at the same time as Box. Only having B for new players will be imposing. I'm already prepping myself for a big beat-down.
gjudd

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I think also, as i joined in a off season with the start of the new client, Acad just was not an option so you gotta go to the school of hard knocks. Some gamers are very competitive and cant handle it when Farve gets injured in every game he plays but yeah i restarted elves a few times before i just figured i should run an easy to manage human team.. However LRB6 is also much more forgiving with Journeymen and the Niggle revamp.

i dont know how to explain to people that the game is fun, and loosing can be a real blast. some how In real life loosing is much more fun than on fumbbl unless you have a fun talkative opponent.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

MadTias wrote:
gjudd wrote:
that noted i think BB is GW's most brutal table top game, and can be very disheartening to a noob player who does not enjoy the fresh smell of defeat (just look at my track record).

Second this - Blood Bowl is not a forgiving game for beginners, and an experienced coach can make short work of your newly created team. This should probably be told to new coaches early. The division info currently mentions this (noting Blackbox isn't for beginners, f.ex.) when you create a team, but this can be made clearer.

This game can be really unforgiving for everyone not just newcomers. How many times haven't people said they're quitting after a really harsh game? Nuffle loves making grown men cry. He does it every week.

Just a little curious why the Root theme is... well... the Root theme. Does anyone actually like it?

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty much everything gjudd mentioned is getting into the guide! Particularily the importance of feeling things out. Like it or not, there is a 'flavor' or 'style' to communication here, and it's best learned before attempting to change it. As with most communities, participation is important. Look at WhatBall! Hardly a member of the Old Guard, but program a few icons and..... Respect!

Anyway, you're distracting me from putting this all together coherently elsewhere, expect something in a the next couple days! Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

Just a little curious why the Root theme is... well... the Root theme. Does anyone actually like it?

I like it more than the others personally.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Anyway, you're distracting me from putting this all together coherently elsewhere, expect something in a the next couple days! Smile

Distracting you is way too easy. And I find that my expectations of you has been lowered quite a bit after that team guide you posted a few days ago. More of the same high class analysis? Holding my breath? Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

The difference is that I hadn't played with any of those teams! Communicating with people on this site? I'm the best that ever was, punk!!! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

to be honest, i had no problems with the site when I wa a n00b. But then I'd played the TT game for years, so things were similar.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Just an idea for trying to get new users into a game as quickly as possible, wouldn't it be great if academy games were literally one click away. No team creation needed, no player naming, not even registering for a user name. The user could simply click a learner's match button on the front page, is prompted to type in a user name, and is promptly dropped into a match with a pre-created human team. This removes all sense of permanence from the game.
 Jump to: