49 coaches online • Server time: 23:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guidegoto Post TSC Draft
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
licker

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2011 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

What is the fixation with 'incomplete' data? That is so arbitrary and pointless.

All you need is to dig up the actual scheduler formula (which someone linked to in a thread on this crap a while ago) and you can SEE what it does.

Fact: there is a non-mirror bias in the scheduler.

A very good reason for why it's there was also provided, and it is necessary based on the rest of the formula for how the scheduler determines matchups, else you'd have mirrors favored over any other matchup.

But none of that seems to matter to anyone for some reason or another. Because you're too busy pissing about 'what if 17 teams activate and 16 of them are goblins played by the same coach' stupidity.

Quote:
These stats have NOTHING to do with scheduling

Good lord...

Stats which are derived from the matches created by the scheduler have nothing to do with scheduling...

Ok then!
Sutherlands

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2011 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
What the hell is the fixation with 'incomplete' data?
You're right, you can make conclusions from incomplete datasets. Of course, this isn't even a dataset, it's a summary of a dataset.

licker wrote:
Fact: there is a non-mirror bias in the scheduler.
I take issue with this statement based on what it implies (which you may or may not have intended, probably not since you mentioned why it is there later in your post). I feel a more correct statement would be "There is an artifical bias in the scheduler away from mirror matches to counteract a larger inherent bias towards mirror matches.

licker wrote:

But none of that seems to matter to anyone for some reason or another. Because you're too busy pissing about 'what if 17 teams activate and 16 of them are goblins played by the same coach' stupidity.
I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to, but how many individual teams of a race there are and which coaches play those teams are very important to the discussion.
licker

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2011 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I feel a more correct statement would be "There is an artifical bias in the scheduler away from mirror matches to counteract a larger inherent bias towards mirror matches.

Fair enough, I was trying to keep it sound-bite short Wink

Quote:
but how many individual teams of a race there are and which coaches play those teams are very important to the discussion.

Not nearly to the degree you seem to believe. Small sample size it could have a major impact. Larger sample sizes (meaning larger number of coaches activating for a given draw, not teams, well assuming a nominal spread in teams amongst activating coaches) it begins to not make any difference whatsoever, as its effects get diluted.

Now my guess is that it's somewhere in between, but closer to the 'not relevant' side (based of my non-scientific observations of matches in B when I look). You don't need to control for every possible variable to mine information from a data set. Ask the AGW modelers if you disagree Wink

Fact: the B scheduler is biased, it is intended to be biased

The only thing to discuss isn't why or if this bias exists, it's if the intended bias is the bias which produces the 'best' matchups. Conflating the issue with 'unbalanced' skills (and or combos) doesn't really address the underlying mechanic, though it does serve to highlight why certain team types seem to be more prevalent in B given the current rule set, and, to a degree, the scheduler, even if it's not a conscious metric in the minds of most coaches.
Sutherlands

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2011 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I looked up "AGW modeler" in google and the first hit was this:
http://www.ihatethemedia.com/global-warming-modeling-explained-try-164-times

so...

but seriously. I don't particularly care HOW important the number of teams being activated is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more statistically relevant (higher p-value) to explaining the number of mirror matches than strictly the number of games played.
licker

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2011 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I would not disagree that it changes the statistics, and thus is 'more' relevant. But 'more' is also relative. I'm saying it's unimportant, not a non factor. In anycase, it being important or not is irrelevant to the larger question people should be asking about the scheduler and/or B generally.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2011 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
<snipped by K>

Errr, Banhammer? Harvest?
Tarabaralla

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2011 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Pythrr wrote it too!
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2011 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Any chance of stats of teams with 10 or less matches to see who has the best start please pretty please?!?

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2011 - 00:59
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

C'mon guys, stay on target and off the abusive language.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2011 - 01:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Guys..........

Really........

Fighting about statistics is SO Big Bang Theory. Go play a game!

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2011 - 01:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, as a statistics tutor, I do have to agree with Licker, with a large sample, the less significant variance between individuals become. It's just the way it works. With this kind of data, I suggest a Chi-Square analysis.
You can kind one here. http://faculty.vassar.edu/lowry/VassarStats.html Have to do finish a paper.
Sutherlands

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2011 - 01:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, as a statistics professor with a doctorate in internet arguing, I take issue with your nonsensical grammar in that first sentence.
licker

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2011 - 02:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Did I swear in this thread?

Something pyther quoted got snipped at least Smile

Anyway, yes!
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2011 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I see Undead are near the bottom on 180+

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2011 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

It's easy to clawplomb mummies? Surprised

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
 Jump to: