46 coaches online • Server time: 11:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lemf

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2012 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Calming Karma.
So I find a comfort thread a sit back contedley knowing I am not the unluckiest player about.
Just one of the worst Smile
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2012 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

As my contribution to this highly awesome thread:

In one of my games, my lizardmen outblocked the orcs they were against 63 to 49. I failed to get any cas (and only 1 KO), whereas large numbers of my team (including many saurus) were taken off the pitch. So here was some bad luck, although not entirely unexpected given the teams involved.

However! Then the luck goes crazy.

My skink was surrounded by 4 tackle orcs. No other lizardmen were around. An orc was holding the ball. The skink blitzes the orc (Str 2 vs Str 9), pow|pow/push|pow/push, dodges 4 times, picks up the ball, dodges twice more, and goes for it twice to be out of blitz range of all except one orc.

That orc blitzes the skink, and knocks him down (but fails to break armour).

On my turn, one other skink manages to get adjacent to the orc. The knocked over skink stands up, blitzes the orc (resulting in a knock down), picks up the ball and scores a touchdown, tying the game.

Then, we get the best kick ever (ended up on the sideline with the least number of orcs near it), then we get a blitz, and we put 7 lizardmen between the ball and all but 2 orcs.

One orc blitzes the ball free of the only lizardman that could put a tackle zone on it. The other orc (a BoB), picks up the ball, and long bombs it THROUGH the skink screen to yet another BoB, who catches it, and then the orcs score the winning goal, since most of the lizardmen were completely out of position to stop the orcs.

THAT game was utterly ridiculous luck, on all sides, for everyone. It was a blast. (It was also the only game the scoring skink EVER deserved an MVP; but even though he has 10 MVP's, he did not get one in that game. He's got so many MVP's that he looks like a decent one turner, but he's almost never scored a touchdown, let alone a one turner.)

Last edited by Nelphine on %b %04, %2012 - %01:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Igvy

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2012 - 00:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Read, people complaining about overall bad trends in luck, as overall bad trends in skill.

Instead of breaking all of statistics, things start to make sense.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2012 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

@Igvy: My story shows that there are times where it is purely luck (although skill gave the orcs the first goal, the tying goal was pure luck, and the possibility of the lizards getting a second goal was pure luck from the kick+blitz, and the fact the orcs rescued the ball to get a win was pure luck).
garyt1

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2012 - 01:43 Reply with quote Back to top

An accurate luck (dice roll) meter on the profile or more specifically match reports would be great. I see there were something like it in years gone by but perhaps wasn't much good. Then you could see that you (anyone) are probably close to average overall but could look back at specific match reports and see how the rolling compared.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2012 - 03:14 Reply with quote Back to top

The biggest issue with a dice meter is that it only shows how you rolled as an absolute (or at least, what I assume the dice meter would be); I would rather have something that shows how often you failed things that you would normally expect to pass, and vice versa.

For instance, if you roll nothing but 3s and 4s the entire game, but you are playing a newbie khemri team, then you would a) never knock down your opponent, and b) would fail a large number of ball handling rolls and dodge attempts.

However, if you roll nothing but 2's, but you are playing an elf team where every player has block, then you actually succeed at almost everything you try, even though, strictly, you rolled far worse than the first game.

So I think any kind of 'dice meter' would need to be something that reflects the difficulty of tasks attempted, which would be quite a bit more complicated, although certainly still possible.
EmperorZombie

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2012 - 05:41 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=673993

Bad luck or suicidal? Bad coaching aside...of course.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2012 - 08:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:
@Igvy: My story shows that there are times where it is purely luck (although skill gave the orcs the first goal, the tying goal was pure luck, and the possibility of the lizards getting a second goal was pure luck from the kick+blitz, and the fact the orcs rescued the ball to get a win was pure luck).

indeed. but your anecdote does not a statistical trend make.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2012 - 08:46 Reply with quote Back to top

on Fumbbl; for every story of bad luck, there is an identical story of equally good luck
kungfupanda

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2012 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
on Fumbbl; for every story of bad luck, there is an identical story of equally good luck

This is true and it seems that every opponent i play has all of it!!! Admitedy I'm not the best player around but when the supposedly RDG is totally non random I can't get to compete at a decent game. I'm also getting fed up of the term 'you've got bad luck with the dice today',

Before I play i might as well just roll to see how much winnings he gets as thats normally the outcome. All because of non random dice (yes another rant about the supposedly RDG) I wish there was some way to show the rolls i'm getting to prove it.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2012 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I often say 'you've got bad luck with the dice today'. It seems more polite than gloating that I destroyed a noob.
Keep playing and eventually you will get better and realise that actually the RNG is perfectly fair.

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2012 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

im more unlucky than you. discuss.
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2012 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

kungfupanda wrote:
All because of non random dice (yes another rant about the supposedly RDG) I wish there was some way to show the rolls i'm getting to prove it.

spiro?

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Elyoukey

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2012 - 08:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:

I don't think so, it would have been pure luck if both of you was moving players randomly on the pitch and taking action randomly, you both were not. Your superskink did roll the good dice because you made the good choice. You also could just stay in the middle of the 4 orcs hoping for a triple skull.
During his counter blitz, your opponent could also have wait with the ball instead of trying to pass, then he would have made a draw. Of course those action seemed trivial to try because you think there was no other option, but probably a very poor coach could have made the wrong choice.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2012 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

kungfupanda wrote:
Balle2000 wrote:

This is true and it seems that every opponent i play has all of it!!! Admitedy I'm not the best player around but when the supposedly RDG is totally non random I can't get to compete at a decent game. I'm also getting fed up of the term 'you've got bad luck with the dice today',

Before I play i might as well just roll to see how much winnings he gets as thats normally the outcome. All because of non random dice (yes another rant about the supposedly RDG) I wish there was some way to show the rolls i'm getting to prove it.

"bad luck" = not very good coach.
 Jump to: