57 coaches online • Server time: 18:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mayhemzz22

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

just been watching it. how do i mark players? i have never seen this before

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

shift + left mouse click.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

a few points of clarification....

1) wiretapping laws do exist, and the same goes for videotaping people without consent...i'm not a law expert by any means, so i am not saying anything on this site, youtube, etc are in violation(even though some of you jerkwad clowns will try to put those words in my mouth)....

on a side note, Virginia's laws on wiretapping require only one person in a conversation be notified that a conversation is being recorded...ie: the one doing the recording....completely asinine...

the clause in these laws is "consent"...and i think that's where the major rub is...it's not that the match was recorded and posted on public airwaves....it's that it was done without getting consent from the other coach...now, Ehlers is a good guy...i think i can safely say there was no ill intentions here, other than a fun commentary on a match...

with that being said, he should have still cleared it with purple...i think the majority of coaches on this site would have no issue at all with being involved in a commentary...even if someone does, go play your match and save the commentary for the next coach....

which leads me to the next point....

2) i don't think(i could be wrong, so humor me) that anyone is really criticizing the commentary itself...just simply the method of getting it done....

personally, i think the commentaries are a good thing...it's a new angle on the site, gives FUMBBL a little bit more publicity, and it's a good insight to how a coach analyzes a game, and progresses through his actions...

i don't think any of this should deter Ehlers from continuing what he's doing...i just think that letting your opponent know is a good thing...even for just the sake of common courtesy...

--j

ImageImage
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 16:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
Ehlers wrote:

Woodstock wrote:
Ehlers, you do know even the big guys need to ask permission to do live casts? Doing replay casts however is something different.

Actually no they don’t. This might be tournament games, but not their own games playing on ladder or in ranked play. Go on Twitch or any other streaming site. Actually go on twich.tv and go into a LoL streamer and watch his saved streamed videos. You will find flame and people wishing each other’s cancer.

Your choice, don't be surprised if the video is removed and your youtube account blocked.

Any source on this?
And yes I have read the youtube license and other agreements. As long as you follow and accept the lisence agreement, then you wont get your channel blocked right away. Also as long as you dont show alpha or beta video, you should be save also.
mayhemzz22

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
shift + left mouse click.

Thank you woodstock Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

i would actually enjoy a lot if some important games (last rounds of the cup and the such) were broadcasted live in youtube with a couple of nice commentarists.

Some Jim&Bob that explain the game both fluff and technical-wise. Just like football Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe keep the recording chat please I thought it was pretty awesome when PurpleChest admitted to wearing women's lingerie

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I'm about two posts short of stopping this thread.

It's GREAT to know that most of us would not have a problem with this. Telling someone else that they can't is ridiculous. If I tell my wife about a medical condition while walking to the car outside, I can't sue someone for writing an article about it, because I said it in public. It's still rude of them to do so without checking.

Again, most of us have no problem, and that's fine, but what can possibly be gained by not asking? You don't sound impolite enough?

EDIT:: Shadow and I agree, the sun implodes, and we are right alone in the new universe.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 17:25 Reply with quote Back to top

It's really not an issue of being told you cannot have a problem with it.

You are free to have a problem with it if you wish.

It's an issue of you having a problem with it being entirely irrelevant to someone else being allowed to record and upload it. You have no right to privacy here (not fumbbl generally, we're talking about once you launch the client and start your match), just as you have no right to privacy if you play a game of chess at an outdoor park.

Privacy as it relates to the game you are playing, not as to what kind of womens underwear you are wearing.

So ask permission? Laughable. Let the other person know you are going to do it? Up to you.

Further, it is my opinion that it would be awesome if chat logs were recorded. I had to transcribe one because my opponent was behaving like such a little girl and I wanted a record of his asinine behavior for posterity. But I don't think that's to be, for whatever reason.

Again, this is the internet folks, you know where you are, and you should know what it means. Act accordingly to how you can handle people thinking of you. Or just let the truth be known and revel in its glory.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:

You are free to have a problem with it if you wish.

Except that you will then have to be abused by licker, right? Rolling Eyes

The fact is, there is NO down-side to asking permission. ALL it does is make the other guy feel better.

Even on the internet, courtesy is painless. I'm aware that PaulHicks COULD post videos of my children anywhere, because I've posted them where he can access. I EXPECT he wouldn't without checking, because he's a nice person.

Technical aspects aside, no one sits down to a game or chat on the internet thinking, 'everyone in the world can potentially see this'. No harm in letting them know/reminding them.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that licker constantly endorses being a completely jerkoff, instead of having a small modicum of courtesy and simply asking your opponent if it's alright....

--j

ImageImage
maysrill

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

This sounds really cool. If anyone ever broadcasts one of my matches, all I ask is a link to it be sent to me so I can go back and watch. Consider permission pre-granted if anyone is so inclined.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
licker

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:

Technical aspects aside, no one sits down to a game or chat on the internet thinking, 'everyone in the world can potentially see this'. No harm in letting them know/reminding them.

Really? No one? Well they should. I mean come on, we all know that anyone can watch any live FUMBBL game if they want to, and that includes reading the chat.

I don't care if people ask permission or not, I'm just beyond thinking that there is any expressed right to privacy involved here. So it's pointless to ask permission. As I said, you can inform the other person you are going to stream it. If they don't want it streamed... well really what are they going to do? Not play again?

Quote:
it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that licker constantly endorses being a completely jerkoff, instead of having a small modicum of courtesy and simply asking your opponent if it's alright....

Yep, but that doesn't bother me either. You're as big an asshole as I am, do you try to hide it? Or do you think throwing a meaningless sop out now and then changes anyones opinion of you? Or do you even care what anyones opinion of you is?

But let's not go down that road, it'll get the thread locked Wink

The issue here isn't my jerkoffishness, the issue here is that people actually think they have some kind of right to privacy in an open online environment. (again, talking about privacy as it relates to the client, not to their personal information should they even have any on the site somewhere)

There is of course recourse should a party feel belittled or insulted by their opponent or any other member of this community, and that I fully agree with. You admins do a good job on this front, but again, this issue has nothing to do with that.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

There have been 1770440 matches played so far. At last count 1 was put on youtube. Yes, I'm fair to say that people don't expect it.

Again, the POINT of asking permission is courtesy. What is the advantage of not asking?

The issue here is precisely being a jerk or not. You seem to feel there is no harm in being one, because you aren't obligated not to be. I believe the opposite.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahh...

It's this difference. Expect that it *will* be (no), Expect that it *could* be (obviously yes).

Be courteous all you want, you've played me, I'm not an ahole in game, I'm there to have fun just like 99% of everyone else. Save the drama for the forums, that's my motto.

And I fail to see how it makes anyone a jerk if they stream something which no one has any valid reason for believing is not 100% in the public domain already.

You think I'm a jerk because I think pointless courtesy is pointless. Or you think I'm a jerk because I play one on TV. Or I really am a jerk. That's all fine and well, I don't judge people by how they express themselves in the forums, the forums are... well they are forums.

My only point here is that there is no expectation of privacy when playing a game in an open online environment. You know that ANYBODY (with the right version of java and a web browser at least) can watch the game. You know they can transcribe your chat, you know they can stream it, you know...

Do you expect anyone to do that? Probably not, but so what? Do you think that no one should be allowed to do that? Maybe, but again, this is the internet, conduct yourself accordingly.

Do you play differently or chat differently when you see that there are specs in your game (assuming you don't know who the specs are)? Would you refuse to play if someone said they were going to spec your game? Do you think you should be allowed to tell your opponent that you don't want one of their friends to spec your game?

It begins with gl and hf! and it ends with gg! That's how all of my matches begin and end, for me anyway. Otherwise... seriously, what else is there to get twisted about?
 Jump to: