62 coaches online • Server time: 23:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guidegoto Post TSC Draft
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which skill on a double?
Strip Ball
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
Fend
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Piling on
22%
 22%  [ 11 ]
Guard
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Something else?
32%
 32%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 49

Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2014 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Harad wrote:
Grod to use guard he has to stand next to someone. Would you advise that? He tries to only stand next to people he is knocking over.

I dont like piling on because any old line elf can roll 2 doubles and become your blitz hitter. It depends a little on how you play but I imagine this guy getting stuck in the middle of fights for the ball. St 5 blodge sidestep guard is a nightmare to defend against. High St guard is brilliant because in most turns people need to block guard players out of way first to remove their assists. This guy is very dangerous to block indeed (because he is likely to sidestep somewhere more annoying). Basically you can pick anything you like he is still awesome, but other than guard i like frenzy or diving tackle.

Oscar Wilde
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2014 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

The choice is clear:

Either take frenzy,

Or enjoy violation of every orifice against his will.
PainState

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2014 - 23:36 Reply with quote Back to top

BillBrasky wrote:
The choice is clear:

Either take frenzy,

Or enjoy violation of every orifice against his will.

When put that way.. the choice I think is very clear.

Very Happy Shocked Cool

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2014 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Once your other wardancer (the one of the many that finally survives...) gets Strip Ball, Crazy would make a brilliant guard indeed. I very much like Grod's reasoning. But then again, I'm a dwarf player. Razz (One with an ancient blodging, side-stepping, diving-tackling guard, mind.)

If you expect him so stay your primary blitzer, I like Juggernaut. ST 5 even allows you to push away big guys with Stand Firm reliably (although I assume you usually just run around them anyway). It also helps you to deal with wrestlers and to improve position in general.
Grab is nice when blitzing a side-stepping ball carrier for sure, since he has far less control over the ball when you negate Side Step. Although, most of the time Grab doesn't do anything when blitzing. On the occasional "regular" block though, you can clear his path for his next blitz with it. I find it a bit too situational though (even when taking the threat factor against sideline caging into account) - but I guess others would say the same for Juggernaut.

No clear favorite for me here, sorry.

I wouldn't want ignore the double though, simply because it makes him more unique and he still has good choices left.

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2014 - 02:12 Reply with quote Back to top

If you really want him to be the most annoying player of all time, Nerves of Steel.
PainState

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2014 - 02:41 Reply with quote Back to top

The #1 skill that woodies need to improve their OTS ability is...GRAB!!!!!!

I always take Grab on 1 lino or Dancer just for the purpose of OTS.

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2014 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

stand firm
Semitence

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2014 - 03:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I would be taking Guard as my double on the other wardancer, so Fend or Frenzy for me. Frenzy helps with OTT & being a baller. Fend helps keep him alive.

Awesome player!
zakatan

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2014 - 05:37 Reply with quote Back to top

what would vindaloo do?

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2014 - 06:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Am starting to think too the most compelling arguments have been for Frenzy:

He can't be Frenzy trapped, too strong. He can't be tied up due to frenzy because he is agile enough to walk away or even jump if necessary, he has side step which is great with Frenzy, he is a damage dealing player which is great with Frenzy... and Frenzy would be a really good skill if it wasn't for all the reasons this player type doesn't have a problem with...

and man... I don't wanna even think about the possibility about jumping behind enemy lines and pushing the carrier or somebody else out who is two squares from the sideline... INSANE Smile
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2014 - 08:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't have much experience with elves, so take this with a pinch of salt, but here are two ways to think about this player.

1) This player is unique, and he lends the team an edge over all other Wood Elf teams in Blackbox. This is his last skill, and you want to keep him around as long as possible before he eventually dies (yes, he will sooner or later). So take the skill that will keep him around the longest. He is bound to be piled on at one point, so I think Fend fits this bill.

2) With leaping st5 ag4 is very rare. I reckon ball-popping and defensive blitzing is this guy's main contribution (you have other players who can score). So you should pick a skill which compliments this. First thought is Strip Ball, however with this you risk him being caught inside a cpomb cage and eventually fouled. So maybe it is better to let his sidekick wardancer do the strip leaps. The Frenzy (to a lesser degree Jugger/Grab)) idea is also alluring, because it makes it hard for your opponent to make sideline cages. But then again, the majority of the opponents in the box will have you down in numbers, and be able to walk through your team more or less. Unless maybe if you elect to kick first Wink

I voted Fend.
Harad

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2014 - 09:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the input guys. I have one reservation about frenzy, can the good coaches help me to see the light. He is obviously the best player in the team. I want him to take action every turn. If the opponent makes a good cage one of the things I routinely do is to hit one of the guys on the corner of the cage back and then set up the double line of defence. His ST5 means he can do this even to the ST4 guys on the corners. I've found this really slows my opponent down and often gives me a great opportunity. Chaos etc. are just used to the ST4 guys being able to move forwards because people can't commit the three players needed to blitz them back.

If he has frenzy I worry he could no longer do this, or it would require me to commit another player or two and make a dodge roll to get away. Would this worry you? How would you deal with it?

In other ways I love the idea of frenzy so want to make sure I'm not missing the way to handle it.
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2014 - 10:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course you can still do this. Your guy is St 5 and you can still use assists if you want. I'd say it makes them better at the job because now you can disrupt their cage even more, by pushing the corner 2 squares away. Giving you more room to mark the ball carrier if you want.

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2014 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Doesn't the frenzy force the follow up and therefore the dodge away? And with the dodges the inevitable fail and death. Ok melodramatic but I try to roll as few dice with him as I can to keep him around.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2014 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Then you should avoid Frenzy, despite the good reasons to take it. In the end, you should feel comfortable playing him. Alternatively you could retire him immediately for stress reduction. Wink

It's not like there aren't other, great options.

If it wasn't for the double (that should be appreciated!), I'd even consider Shadowing as a fun skill on him. Although it also falls into the "marking" category that you seem to feel uncomfortable with.

Jump to: