51 coaches online • Server time: 22:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
licker

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2015 - 04:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:
licker wrote:
You leave the corners of your cage marked?

Stand firm or no, that's a recipe for disaster.

You never heard of having two players on each front corner like so? Razz

for example

-B-B-
-B-B-
--R--
-B-B-

Nope.

Never heard of that.

Not saying it's good bad or other, but I kind of don't see the point. If you have that much freedom in building your cage as a dwarf your opponent really isn't doing their job very well.

If you can consistently cage with 7 players and advance that cage more power to you.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2015 - 05:08 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
If you can consistently cage with 7 players and advance that cage more power to you.

More so if you can succeed without any Frenzy at all!
pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2015 - 07:47 Reply with quote Back to top

MEGA BUNKER

B --- B --- B
--B-- -- B--
-- ---R--- --
--B-- -- B--
B --- B --- B

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2015 - 20:51 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
Matthueycamo wrote:
licker wrote:

for example

-B-B-
-B-B-
--R--
-B-B-

Nope.

Never heard of that.

Not saying it's good bad or other, but I kind of don't see the point. If you have that much freedom in building your cage as a dwarf your opponent really isn't doing their job very well.

It's integrated the cage and the offensive line, the front two engage the defense whilst also preventing the BC from getting blitzed since the blitz will have to go on the players behind them. (Unless you are a crazy leap elf!)

So those two are both in the cage and offensive line.

Works best when you attack down the side as the other four dwaves will all be on one side. You can also sometimes depending on the race you are facing get away with not having a guy on the left or right rear corner of the cage.
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2015 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
MEGA BUNKER

B --- B --- B
--B-- -- B--
-- ---R--- --
--B-- -- B--
B --- B --- B

You forgot the illegal substitution!

B --- B --- B
--B-- -- B--
-- ---R--- B
--B-- -- B--
B --- B --- B
licker

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2015 - 21:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:
licker wrote:
Matthueycamo wrote:
licker wrote:

for example

-B-B-
-B-B-
--R--
-B-B-

Nope.

Never heard of that.

It's integrated the cage and the offensive line, the front two engage the defense whilst also preventing the BC from getting blitzed since the blitz will have to go on the players behind them. (Unless you are a crazy leap elf!)

Works best when you attack down the side as the other four dwaves will all be on one side. You can also sometimes depending on the race you are facing get away with not having a guy on the left or right rear corner of the cage.

I'll say it again.

If your opponent allows you to do this then more power to you. I don't see how it's practical to be able to do that against a merely competent player. Sure there's a lot of 'it depends' in any discussion of tactics.

Much as the mega bunker has limited usefulness due the the inability to form it without certain caveats about the opponent or the state of the game being true. Well that and it just generally not being a very useful offensive formation.

So if you're winning with your dwarven 'double front cage' good for you, I won't dispute your record with your L team at least. If you're trying to convince me (and others) that it's a strong tactical formation, well, the formation certainly seems fine, I only question the ease with which you can actually pull it off consistently.

I also question the notion that dwarfs should cage to the sideline. Sure, sometimes you have to do it, but I'm not sure it's generally the wisest tactic to employ.
Bram

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2015 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
MEGA BUNKER

B --- B --- B
--B-- -- B--
-- ---R--- --
--B-- -- B--
B --- B --- B

Where is Spiro when you need him?
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2015 - 00:37 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
Matthueycamo wrote:
licker wrote:
Matthueycamo wrote:
licker wrote:

for example

-B-B-
-B-B-
--R--
-B-B-

Nope.

Never heard of that.

I'll say it again.

If your opponent allows you to do this then more power to you. I don't see how it's practical to be able to do that against a merely competent player. Sure there's a lot of 'it depends' in any discussion of tactics.

Much as the mega bunker has limited usefulness due the the inability to form it without certain caveats about the opponent or the state of the game being true. Well that and it just generally not being a very useful offensive formation.

So if you're winning with your dwarven 'double front cage' good for you, I won't dispute your record with your L team at least. If you're trying to convince me (and others) that it's a strong tactical formation, well, the formation certainly seems fine, I only question the ease with which you can actually pull it off consistently.

I also question the notion that dwarfs should cage to the sideline. Sure, sometimes you have to do it, but I'm not sure it's generally the wisest tactic to employ.

I have never found it that hard to form when I want to, it generally especially to begin with naturally tended to form. Maybe the WIL is crap, they certainly get embarrassed in the Ashes with the SWL Laughing . Different of course facing Norse or Necro or even other dwarves but it seems to help against other teams going to the side as they can't get around either side as one is defended the sideline and the other by the rest of the players. Then bash enough Stuns and above through the half and the gaps are there at the end to go through usually. I have never noticed it being any harder than going down the middle myself.

I probably end up doing it 60% of the time. No tactic is ever 100% I must always do this but it's a go to that seems to work for me at least. Why I think it works is an almost certain eventuality that I have more players on the pitch. If the team you are facing has less players they can't attack both flanks well so they will likely choose one side and focus on that which could mean local superiority for them. But going to the side makes them attack one side through your entire team so you now have the superiority where they have to attack. By the time that's over you have 9 times out of 10 won the ensuing blocking war and are able to walk it in for a TD. I also find it can make scramble defense harder in the second half, they rush back to block you on the side as they have too only for you to then blitz through the center and trap them against the sidelines.

Dwarves winning relies a lot on KOs and CAS, if you don't get them then it's difficult to win with any tactic.
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2015 - 00:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:
Bazakastine wrote:
For me its not really surfs for surfs sake that I think the blitzers are needed positionaly. Just the threat out there makes the edges of the pitch more dangerous for opponenets and even if they have some sidestep/standfirm it wont be on everyone and the more you force opponents to have to use specific players in specific players it limits their options. (Also I love a little grab on a Dwarf team. It's rare enough that people will overlook it and risk their side-stepper unnecessarily)

This in essence can help shrink the pitch and make your lack of movement less of a hindrance. The trade off of course is higher risk of loss and over 40% of my lost players have been slayers even though I have run with only 1 for periods. To me they have always been relatively expendable (compared to the runners) yet needed. It should also be noted that I tend to try to either stop a score or force a turnover rather than forcing a quick score. Most coaches seem to atleast try and stall anyway and it has to be a pretty quick score for dwarves to usually have a credible chance to score back.

I was musing about Grab the other day as a 4th Skill on my stand firm guys. They would be great combo for the front of a cage I feel. On the opposing turn stand firm and on yours part the red sea! I can also see how it would help with surfs, Maybe thats the skill that makes me try a slayer instead of a 9th Blocker at high TV.

Was lucky to get a DodgeStep Blocker recently too. Absolutely amazing player for annoying the opposition and tying up stronger players. Last game he tied up two Nurgle Warriors single handed for almost the entire second half.

So a Guard blocker gets killed in my next match.......that 13th sport opens up. What to do lol
licker

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2015 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Well if your opponents are just getting into blocking wars with your dwarfs then yeah, they are crap Wink
 Jump to: