46 coaches online • Server time: 14:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post IBA Draft Leaguegoto Post Practice leage for A...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Piling On gone. Good or bad?
Piling On needed to go.
47%
 47%  [ 75 ]
I would have kept it.
36%
 36%  [ 57 ]
Unsure.
15%
 15%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 157

Nextflux

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2016 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the changes, Piling on is useless now, and cards are back in play, it will result in more "playing" than just smashing, goodbye to all those who want to kill all menz all the time (a statement that is just plain stupid by the way)
I will not miss them, and I will not miss piling on.
Wizfall

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2016 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's too big of a nerf and i would rather have nerfed the claw skill.
I voted unsure though because i would rather take this change that the status-quo.

Concerning Fumbbl's implementation or not, i suggest we follow as usual NAF decision.
If they greenlight the change, the easiest way to implement it would be to remove PO on the list of selectable skill and keep "grandfather" players.
That would require no admins' works or technical code change.

I kind of like Purplegoo idea about teams in R & B to be treated as if they have finished a season every 10-15 games.
Nevertheless, beside the technical implementation aspect, i fear it would lead with teams with only noobs and 2/3 legend players and i really would dislike that.

Also the D3 MVP things is a big boost for Khemri and lizards.
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2016 - 13:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah - I love the fact that cards are relevant again, it brings a more unpredictable and tactical element to the game. The exact opposite of the cpomb era.

I also dont agree that we will all move to "tv3000" teams under the new rules. C+Mb still works well for hurting av9 teams and MB+tackle is all you really need to hurt elves - along with learning how to play proper positional BB and using skills like frenzy, SF, guard, side step, diving tackle and grab properly. Plus, maybe people will learn the value of setting up gang fouls once again!

I also dont agree that the skll goes out of the game at high tv. Different skills are required to win and team building versus style of play becomes very important, and dont forget the impact of using your cards effectively.

Im excited about how things will work.
ImpactedAnimal

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2016 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

wait whaaaaaat? Are you serious? PO being removed from skills? how are we supposed to foul claw mighty blow killers now? What the hell?

Is this going to be applicable to all Black Box? what the hell?
ImpactedAnimal

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2016 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

PO leaves your player prone - this is a huge disadvantage and many players avoid it for this reason. I think the rules were just fine - UW and Norse beserkers did not need nerfing - I'm devastated about this change if it is truly happening
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2016 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Thinking around the subject of seasons since it's been mentioned in R and B one season is really one full calendar year. Though you can't just have it happen to all teams at a certain date for a number of reasons, like a coach takes a break for a year and they come back and all their teams are empty and the code and processing time would probably be really long to get working properly.

The number of games idea is a really silly one, teams could basically risk ending a season in the semi of the fumbbl cup and half your team buggers off after the final.

If it was to be done it has to be tied to the fumbbl tourney calender or playing in a major or something and basic ranked or box play does not have seasons.

So really it has to be tied to majors the year or not at all. Then will coaches want to put their teams in a cup to go through a season? Some will some won't be so keen and you end up with a risk of less populated majors.

I don't think there is a beneficial way of doing this for R and B. Just quickly for league it needs to be an optional box too as some leagues run a season as multiple competitions so it can't just be automatic every time a tournament ends.

DLE College 7s
bghandras

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2016 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I would propose to keep it as is, but remove from ranked and bbox. That way leagues could use the old one if they wanted. I know a few that would keep the current wording due to the fact that rules were built on the basis of certain armor level. (Like race based leagues.)

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2016 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunenzed wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:
tussock wrote:

But big elves in the fumbbl cup next time around, when they can beat the Nurgs and only take 4 cas all game, maybe one perm after the Apo? LOL, they gunna win everything.

Moar Guard, DT on doubles, Tackle, and Dirty Player might throw a wrench in elven plans.

Huff took out the FC with nurgz that never took piling on, so teams have done well without the skill in the past.

Yup, he took Kick on his killer instead of PO. Absolute madman!!!

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2016 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

ImpactedAnimal wrote:
UW and Norse beserkers did not need nerfing - I'm devastated about this change if it is truly happening

There may be good non-PO Norse builds. It sure sucks for UW.

We should bear in mind that the nerf impacts PO teams vs non-PO teams the most. Overall, the attrition rate from turn to turn in B should be reduced. No more Pile Awn or Be Piled Awn, a ridiculous saying if you ask me.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2016 - 14:47 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak wrote:
Yeah - I love the fact that cards are relevant again, it brings a more unpredictable and tactical element to the game. The exact opposite of the cpomb era.

Have you seen the cards and the suggested rules around them yet? I'm not sure that any sort of heavier Blood Bowler will be welcoming. CRP Misc. Mayhem (now Random Events) are pretty mad, but OK every so often as you clone a ball or set the sprinklers off against Khemri for 50 k (now 100 k). The new Misc. Mayhem (now, er, Misc. Mayhem) cards are insane. If you and I are playing a level TV game and I have three of these cards to your one (as can happen), you are not going to think that it's a tactical encounter. You are going to find it really unsatisfactory and a bit of a waste of time. Worse than ClawPOMB bad (if you think that was bad).

I think the new card system is great for newcomers; make it random and silly, all bets are off, draw 'em in. But I think they're probably not on for 'proper games'. At 100 k with no Wizard in the game, they're probably decent inducement options.

(On the season thing - I did say my tongue was in my cheek a bit. But it is interesting to think about R & B as they have been for years and now they how 'fit')
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2016 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
uzkulak wrote:

Have you seen the cards and the suggested rules around them yet? I'm not sure that any sort of heavier Blood Bowler will be welcoming. CRP Misc. Mayhem (now Random Events) are pretty mad, but OK every so often as you clone a ball or set the sprinklers off against Khemri for 50 k (now 100 k). The new Misc. Mayhem (now, er, Misc. Mayhem) cards are insane. If you and I are playing a level TV game and I have three of these cards to your one (as can happen), you are not going to think that it's a tactical encounter. You are going to find it really unsatisfactory and a bit of a waste of time. Worse than ClawPOMB bad (if you think that was bad).

I think the new card system is great for newcomers; make it random and silly, all bets are off, draw 'em in. But I think they're probably not on for 'proper games'. At 100 k with no Wizard in the game, they're probably decent inducement options.

(On the season thing - I did say my tongue was in my cheek a bit. But it is interesting to think about R & B as they have been for years and now they how 'fit')

Yeah - I grew up playing 3rd Ed BB and cards were very significant and very powerful in that edition (more so even than the new ones you mention). It made for a much better game IMO as it is a major obstacle for teams that like to control the clock as there is an unknown element you need to factor in to your planning. Coaches need to be adaptable and build teams/position the team to be more able to recover from unexpected setbacks. Generally it should be safer to score in turn 7 much of the time.

One of my biggest criticisms of later editions of BB is that the game has become more predictable and too easy for teams that get a numerical advantage early on. Anything that changes this I would see as a positive development and certainly not just a sop to pull in new players...

But I understand that this represents a significant change to those who first came to the game in more recent times so like all changes might take some getting used to.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2016 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Get'Em Lads used to be a thing.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2016 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak, I appreciate that, in the younger days of BB, things were a bit more random / unknown and I am familiar with one or two of the rules from back then. I would be super surprised if we (and by 'we', I mean joined up BB; FUMBBL, Cyanide, NAF events, etc.) went back there with this much more mature ruleset. Even if the mad stuff could all be coded here, so much of the current player base would reject it. I don't like it when I read huge exaggerations in these change threads (and check out the Internet for fun in that area), but I think a pretty high percentage (anyone who plays BB in any way competitively, from local leagues to online cup finals) might be left at least half looking for a new hobby.
PainState

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2016 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Here is how Iam looking at this right now.

It seems that GW has cherry picked apart LRB4 and LRB3.

Us old timers who played LRB4 on FUMBBL remember the days of no CMBPO. T/MB was the killer stack. So, we will just have to revert our thinking back to those days. Sadly they decided not to address fouling.

Also back in the LRB4 days on FUMBBL no one took PileOn in less they had a big guy and where forced to take the skill. So, once again us old timers will just have to revert our thinking to how it was.

Then they decided to make the cards a central feature of the game once again, ALA, 3rd edition/LRB3.5. I agree with Pruplegoo that this will radically change up the game just like it did back in the day. Once again I will just have to revert my thinking to how I use to play BB.

So the bottom line for me is that the new rules are a collection of older editions that they mashed into a new rule set. Thus the debate of if "we" are going to look at older rule sets why did they pick this and not these other 3 "rules/fluff" that where really cool and left them out?

I have a feeling this new rule set is going to discombobulate a lot the new coaches to Blood Bowl who have not played any earlier editions. I have been playing since 1st edition of Blood Bowl so my perspective on rules and changes is a little bit different than the majority of coaches on FUMBBL.

I still remember the days that if they broke AV and then rolled a 10+ your player was DEAD. Very Happy Shocked

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2016 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't hate the team re-roll thing, I think it's a good fix.

As for removing it from the main game and making it optional, I think the removal of 13 teams from the main game and not making them optional is a far bigger talking point.

Last edited by Foad on %b %26, %2016 - %16:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: